+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Contexts: Do I ever need more than one?

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Default Contexts: Do I ever need more than one?

Idle curiousity: My idiom thus far has been to use a single context for each addon, then make lots of frames in that context. Good idea? Bad idea? When should I use a new context?
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Having asked Zorba this months ago, his response was "one context per UI.Native." That is not a direct quote, as we did not have UI.Native.* when I asked.

In other words, if your addon is quest related, you would have one context for the quest log and another for the quest stickies, assuming you had both functionalities. An auction house addon would have one context, but if it also interacted with your bank, that's two contexts. AH, inventory, bank, gbank, that's four.

Have an addon that replaces every unit frame in the game? One context, regardless of the fact there are several types of unit frames, simply because they are all unit frames.

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #3
    Rift Team

That's a pretty accurate summary. UI.Native elements and Contexts are, internally, sort of derived from the same "dialog element" class. They're the things that are brought up to the front, as a unified blob, when a dialog is clicked on. If you want to be able to interleave your dialogs with the native dialogs, you'll need one Context for each of your dialogs.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Ahh, okay. That makes sense, and it looks like logically I do want one context per frame (well, one per window, mostly).

Can a frame be moved from one context to another?
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

5.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #5
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Ahh, okay. That makes sense, and it looks like logically I do want one context per frame (well, one per window, mostly).

Can a frame be moved from one context to another?
    Yep, :SetParent() Just Works.

+ Reply to Thread