+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Timelapse Combat Meter

Default Timelapse Combat Meter

Come one come all!

Tea Club proudly presents the Timelapse Combat Meter. Timelapse is a combat meter that is in heavily development and currently in it's beta phase (though very, very stable). Timelapse's purpose is to be feature complete over minimalist.

Currently the features it has are:
    • Tracks several combat events, including:
      • Damage Done
      • Healing Done
      • Damage Taken
      • Healing Taken
    • Provides detailed break downs for each mode.
    • Shows fight duration.

If you'd like to help try and test Timelapse, please visit Tea Club's website to download it. If you would like to be reminded of when Timelapse is updated (almost daily), please leave your character name in a reply and I will personally poke you!

http://forums.teaclub-guild.com/

Registration is not required to download Timelapse.

You can check out the source code here, note that as Timelapse is in beta now, I prefer to write code that works first, and then optimize, improve and clean it up.

http://github.com/JGBrands/Timelapse

Yours sincerely,
    Verea/Sanae of Bloodiron
    Author of Timelapse

Screenshots:
    http://addons.teaclub-guild.com/timelapse/Timelapse.png
    http://addons.teaclub-guild.com/timelapse/breakdown.png
    Last edited by Verea; 03-14-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    Verae, level 60 Cleric @ Blightweald, Guild Master of Tea Club
    I want to fly like an eagle, to the sea.
    I want to fly like an eagle, let my spirit carry me.

Rift Meter
    http://i.imgur.com/fAqV4.png

Whats the problem with my addon? ^^

Quote Originally Posted by chuckySTAR View Post
    Rift Meter
    http://i.imgur.com/fAqV4.png

Whats the problem with my addon? ^^
    Nothing. I happen to use Rift Meter and like it quite a bit. I've tried Simple Meter and liked it as well. If I try Timelapse, even in beta unoptomized state, I'll probably like that too.

Keep in mind that like WoW, Rift can have more than one good combat metre. It is all about giving end users choice, unless, of course, one addon leaps ahead of the pack due to features, efficiency, accuracy, or any other factor(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Lorandii View Post
    Nothing. I happen to use Rift Meter and like it quite a bit. I've tried Simple Meter and liked it as well. If I try Timelapse, even in beta unoptomized state, I'll probably like that too.

Keep in mind that like WoW, Rift can have more than one good combat metre. It is all about giving end users choice, unless, of course, one addon leaps ahead of the pack due to features, efficiency, accuracy, or any other factor(s).
    Pretty much this.

Rift Chaser

Just installed this addon.
    This addon conflicts with numerous other addons. You should use less globals, and where you must be using them, change the variable name to something more complicated.

The result of the conflcit is always the same:
    When I start up and move the UI, it leaves a duplicate UI that I can't do anything with right at the starting location. Moving it with my mouse is really buggy.

It conflicts with:
    http://www.riftui.com/downloads/info121-nkAdvisor.html
    http://www.riftui.com/downloads/info84-KaruulAlert.html
    http://www.riftui.com/downloads/info61-nkRCooldown.html
    http://www.riftui.com/downloads/info167-xBagSort.html
    Probably the rest of Naifu's addons

And these are just the addons I have...

Doing some minor dummy tests, the time of the session and DPS come out exactly the same between simple meter and timelapse meter. I'll keep an eye on this project. GL.

P.S. Also, a suggestion. Put the lib folder in the main addon folder, so the addons folder is less cluttered. Thanks.
    Last edited by TimeBomb; 02-27-2012 at 01:33 PM.

That is probably because of the MainWindow, I am aware of this problem and am currently rewriting the GUI code from scratch. I'm not using globals anywhere else, actually; everything else is part of the Timelapse.* global or the Tea.* global (for the extended Combat library).

I expect 0.4.2 to be out today, and all conflicts should be taken care of.

very nice addon so far, had a small bug though:

http://imgur.com/f7LeF

when i try and move it it splits into 2 windows for some reason, the first non-transparent window doesn't do anything/move/respond/update/ and then after moving it if i move my mouse over it it jumps all over my screen as if i was still click-dragging it.

graphical problem aside, my main issue is the same problem i had with simplemeter, accuracy, notice in my screenshot that it only measured 5 ticks of vex? rift meter which is the other dps meter in my screenshot measured 6 ticks, its because vex was the first spell i used (putting me in combat) i wasn't actually in-combat when i cast it and so it didn't get added in your addons calculations which means your addon is only measuring from the time after i start combat.

i didn't have time to test it in a raid environment but how does it handle raid combat? in order for most raiders to want to use it it should start combat for all raid members as soon as anyone in your raid enters combat (and measure the first hit). it should also not stop measuring untill everyone in your raid is out of combat (including if you die)

other features that i personally look for in my never-ending search for the "pefect" dps meter addon are breakdowns of damage done with crits, min, max, average, dps, damage, hit/miss% of individual skills and overall skills. breakdowns of damage taken with crits, min, max, average, dps, damage, block %, blocked amount, parry %, dodge %, miss % of individual skills and overall skills. Tall order i know, but its what i used in ACT and i'd love to see all of these in an addon.

good luck working on your addon!

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    very nice addon so far, had a small bug though:

http://imgur.com/f7LeF

when i try and move it it splits into 2 windows for some reason, the first non-transparent window doesn't do anything/move/respond/update/ and then after moving it if i move my mouse over it it jumps all over my screen as if i was still click-dragging it.
    Hey Redcruxs! First, thanks for trying Timelapse.

Onto your issue, that's because of a little mistake I made. I don't run other addons personally, and I (stupid as I am) used a global called MainWindow for Timelapse's main UI. This causes conflicts with a LOT of addons that do the same thing. This is most likely what causes the issue.

0.4.2 features a rewrite of all GUI code, and will resolve this problem.

graphical problem aside, my main issue is the same problem i had with simplemeter, accuracy, notice in my screenshot that it only measured 5 ticks of vex? rift meter which is the other dps meter in my screenshot measured 6 ticks, its because vex was the first spell i used (putting me in combat) i wasn't actually in-combat when i cast it and so it didn't get added in your addons calculations which means your addon is only measuring from the time after i start combat.
    This is not per se a problem of Timelapse, but more a problem with the Rift API's poor detection of Combat. It signals the 'Damage' event before the event that signals that I am in SecureMode (which is the same as Combat), the way Timelapse is programmed, mostly out of effiency considerations, is that it doesn't keep track of anything till you are in combat.

I could resolve this by including all the last events in the past 0.5 seconds before entering combat, but that would mean continuously tracking damage data, which would make a rather hefty impact.

i didn't have time to test it in a raid environment but how does it handle raid combat? in order for most raiders to want to use it it should start combat for all raid members as soon as anyone in your raid enters combat (and measure the first hit). it should also not stop measuring untill everyone in your raid is out of combat (including if you die)
    Unfortunately there's no way for me to see if other people are in combat. Ideally I would synchronize Timelapse with everyone else, but the API doesn't allow cross-character addon communication. Not yet anyway.

As far as I know, however, when someone attacks a raid boss (usually your tank), every one will be put in combat. Granted you are okay with missing the first tick of your tank's damage, you everything else should be fine.

As a work around, however, Timelapse will start detecting when you are in a 20-man or 10-man raid, and will keep tracking damage until it knows that all people in the raid have died. This will be a lot of work to implement properly, but I'll look into it, expect it after the 0.7 release.

other features that i personally look for in my never-ending search for the "pefect" dps meter addon are breakdowns of damage done with crits, min, max, average, dps, damage, hit/miss% of individual skills and overall skills. breakdowns of damage taken with crits, min, max, average, dps, damage, block %, blocked amount, parry %, dodge %, miss % of individual skills and overall skills. Tall order i know, but its what i used in ACT and i'd love to see all of these in an addon.

good luck working on your addon!
    All of those features, or the majority, will be featured in 0.5 and 0.6 respectively. 0.7 brings a death log which allows you to see the last 10 seconds of someone's combat log before he died; allowing you to see how he died, and if people didn't fail on healing.
    Last edited by Verea; 02-27-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by TimeBomb View Post
    Just installed this addon.
    This addon conflicts with numerous other addons.
    Just tried it and I'm not sure it's related to the naming of that MainWindow. I don't have any global 'MainWindow' in my addons. The only thing which is named 'MainWindow' is the name of the main window but not the variable.

If naming an UI element the same in two addons whould cause a problem I'm sure that Zorba would like to read about it.

So far there haven't been any conflicts reported between addons as far as I'm aware of. Let me know what you find out what the cause really is. I'd be interested to hear.

Another minor think I'd suggest to look at is the number of messages being send at the start of the addon. You'd want to reduce the number once the addon is stable. If all addons throw prints at the start the players chat would simply explode on every login or reloadui. My personal opinion is anything more than 2 prints at startup is too much. But that's my personal preference.

Cheers
    N.
    Last edited by Naifu; 02-27-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Fixed broken URLs, should get around finishing 0.4 sometime soon!

+ Reply to Thread