+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [beta] RangeFinder -- PTS ONLY

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Default [beta] RangeFinder -- PTS ONLY

http://www.riftui.com/downloads/info...ngeFinder.html

It's exactly what you think it is: Most standard frames acquire a little range readout for range from you. Lots of stuff could be done to make this cooler, but it exists and it does what it's supposed to.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Rift Disciple

Holy crap! Wanted this for SOOOO long! Thanks Seebs! Works great on the pts!
    Last edited by mxdiz; 02-25-2012 at 01:12 PM.

It'll need a bunch of reworking for some stuff (like my inability to comprehend the plain language descriptions of party/group stuff, and an upcoming change to coordinate representations, and I've no clue what it does with instances), but in the most common cases, it does what I mean.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

I think your Z calculations are wrong.
    Code:
    	  local dxy = math.sqrt((dx * dx) + (dy * dy))
    	  local dtotal = math.sqrt((dxy * dxy) + (dz * dz))
    shouldn't that be

Code:
    	  local dtotal = math.sqrt((dx * dx) + (dy * dy) + (dz * dz))
    at least if I remember my Math correctly.

Edit: Ops is the same thing. Anyway, the 2nd one is faster to execute...
    Last edited by Rizz; 02-26-2012 at 05:54 AM.
    Rathi@Gelidra <Invictus>
    IRotP: Conqueror | NM TD: 4/4

D'oh. You're right, it's obviously the same.

Basically: I have a really awful memory, and I'm pretty fast. So I don't actually know math, I just reconstruct it on the fly. I knew the 2D formula, and it was easy to prove that using the 2D formula as one leg of a new triangle would produce the right results, so I typed that in and didn't bother thinking about it.

Thoughts on configurability options? List of enabled or disabled units, color coding, etcetera? Seems like it might be nice to have it encode ranges in some way, like you set a cap of 35M, and 0-35M colors green to yellow/orange, 35-50ish colors vivid red, and beyond that colors sort of grey, maybe.

I mean, for me, raw digits is fine because I read numbers fast enough not to use other data much. But I seem to recall being told that people who aren't me like to have more feedback.

Reason for "set a cap" is that you can have melee, 20 meter, 30 meter, 35 meter, or I think even 40 meter ability ranges. And it's not obvious how you'd define which ranges you care about; what if you're a bard/marksman? You could have 20m and 35m... wait, does the marksman range boost affect other specs' ranged attacks? agggh

Zorba! We need Inspect.Range.TooFar() that yields the distance in meters at which something is Too Far for whatever the player is thinking about doing. So for a marksman/bard, it'd yield 20m if they are thinking about Cadence and 35m if they are thinking about rapid fire shot.

Ascendant

So any chance of this getting more support and updated with additional features now that 1.8 is out?

Maybe! It's looking like a lowish priority largely because I am Too Busy right now, but I may get back to it if no one else does one.

Ascendant

I might try my hand at it a little, already had to do some editing for guildies like being able to change the font size.

You are welcome to mess with it however you like!

+ Reply to Thread