+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: params.damageModified in ... event.damage < 0

Telaran

Default params.damageModified in ... event.damage < 0

Can someone confirm if params.damageModified is negative then it indicates extra damage.

Still working on and testing new version of simple meter and this oddity popped up. The mob was a planar mob so I'm guessing using my anti planar ability had something to do with this.

have compensated within the code assuming the above is correct.

Code:
    if params.damageModified then  
      if params.damageModified < 0 then 
        params.damage = params.damage - params.damageModified 
        params.modified = nil
      end
    end

Telaran

Default need extra documentation on "damageModified"

Trying to figure exactly how to handle damageModified correctly.

damageModified: The amount of damage modified.

Need some clarity on this as it can be negative or positive.

It seems it usually has a caster but not always a target.

Damage type varies.

Bit confused about this one atm

Everybody is a bit confused by Event.Combat.Damage, because
    • Both damageBlocked and damageDeflected have the same description in the API
    • damage is, I think, the raw unmitigated damage, before block, parry, dodge, armour, etc
    • damageModified's description is admittedly vague, but seems like the amount armour adjusts, or is that damageAbsorbed?
    • If damageModified is the armour mitigation, what is damageAborbed? Is that what returns when you use a planar absorb drop, or some other kind of straight absorption ability or item?
    So what is the actual damage done? Presumably, damage - damageBlocked - damageDeflected - damageAbsorbed - damageIntercepted - damageModified == 0. And you would have to run event traces using Trion's Development Tools addon to see the order they fire.

You might not see a target return because the caster is the player; ie, there is no target.

It would be great to see Zorba jump in here, because this topic came up back when he introduced the combat events, and they are no less confusing today.

I'm fairly certain, but not 100%, that damageDeflected is how much you parried.

Rift Chaser

A deflect is a riftstalker/rogue tank's version of block. It is not a parry or dodge (according to non-API terminology, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by TimeBomb View Post
    A deflect is a riftstalker/rogue tank's version of block. It is not a parry or dodge (according to non-API terminology, of course).
    Yikes. I hate to be blunt, but that sounds like the API and its documentation need a cleaning and overhaul for simplicity's sake.

What I would do is combine RS/Rogue's "block" into damageBlocked, along with Clerics and Warriors. It is all the same thing, and should be one return value. If it is indeed different, then how, and why? Just because of the existance of a shield? So what, if the hard numbers and what the end result remain the same.

Clearly document what each return member does, and how it impacts the results, and in what order do the returns happen. Guessing: dodge, parry, block, armour, leftovers that damage the player. But which is which, without guessing?

Deflect should be parry. Make it simple. Block is block, regardless of shield or not. Absorbed ought to be what I described: an ability or item that absorbs X damage. New return of damageMitigated which is what armour accounts in reduction. We don't need dodge in Event.Combat.Damage because it is its own event. DamageModified would be the end result, or the damage the player actually takes, with damage being the raw, completely unmitigated result.

Just my two cents.

Telaran

yep... looks like it defiantly needs to be rectified. Given the current version of simple meter people have doesn't even look at damageModified it would be funny if it was actually needed.

... In the mean time I think I will work on some other aspects like cleaning up code and adding more command line options.

damageModified was near damageBlocked... damageAbsorbed.. damageDeflected etc so I assumed but may have to be corrected that....

if damageModified > 0 then it indicates the target took less damage by this amount.

however if damageModified is < 0 then the target took extra damage by 0 - this amount.

8.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #8
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Lorandii View Post
    What I would do is combine RS/Rogue's "block" into damageBlocked, along with Clerics and Warriors. It is all the same thing, and should be one return value. If it is indeed different, then how, and why? Just because of the existance of a shield? So what, if the hard numbers and what the end result remain the same.
    It's different because, internally, it's a different concept. There's nothing stopping our designers from making something that both deflects and blocks damage (I don't know, maybe some Rogue buff that adds a magic shield.) I'm exposing all the data that the combat log does and it's up to you to figure out what you care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorandii View Post
    Clearly document what each return member does, and how it impacts the results, and in what order do the returns happen. Guessing: dodge, parry, block, armour, leftovers that damage the player. But which is which, without guessing?
    The Event.Combat.Damage message is essentially a replacement for log messages, and contains the same information that the combat log messages do. Namely: a lot of these questions aren't answered We're not exposing the absolute inner workings of damage calculations, just what we show in the combat log.

"damage" represents the amount of damage that the player has actually taken. The various absorbed/blocked/deflected/intercepted/modified messages are all things that would show up in the combat log, and mean exactly what they mean in the combat log.

I strongly recommend grabbing Trion Development Tools, doing "/eventlog Damage", splitting the console window into two panes so you can watch the event log and the combat log simultaneously, and analyzing it that way.

Telaran

Through analyzing the data a bit more... I'm quite happy at the moment with the way things are now being captured and processed.

I'm currently producing some documentation (gasp) that shows how particular statistics are derived and will ship this with simple meter when it's been tested and cleaned up more.

I've also decided any abilities that have an ability name but no actual ability will have their damage/heals recorded but just be crammed into "other".

Quote Originally Posted by ZorbaTHut View Post
    I strongly recommend grabbing Trion Development Tools, doing "/eventlog Damage", splitting the console window into two panes so you can watch the event log and the combat log simultaneously, and analyzing it that way.
    That is a much better solution to what I had in mind. Curse me for not thinking of the dev tools, like the occasional ****** I am. I'm sure splitting the panes is simple and intuitive, I'll have to load the tools to see. I'd never done that before, and didn't realize you could.

+ Reply to Thread