+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Possible Bug - Addon screw-up linked to action bars being wiped?

Rift Chaser

Default Possible Bug - Addon screw-up linked to action bars being wiped?

This sounds preposterous but I have no other explanation for it.

I've been fixing up an addon, getting it ready for release. It's based off another addon, and I was finally changing the name, prefixes, and what-not for it.

I changed the prefix to "CA" in all the files, filenames, and the toc file. I left the toc file website and email fields simply as "" - two quotation marks.

I am at the character selectionscreen while doing this. I notice that my addon list hasn't been updated with the new addon name. I log in anyway, and the addon has not loaded. I /reloadui, and my client crashes. This crash occurred between 6:15 PM and 6:45 PM servertime[PST] today - I can't get any more specific as that, as I didn't think much of it.

I was quite certain the crash was linked to my addon. I reported the crash error and closed my client. I changed "CA" to "CAlerts" everywhere, as "CA" is a bit too simple/vague and I don't want any clashes with anything. I put in dummy[fake] text into the email and website fields of the toc file, instead of leaving them as empty strings.

I load up the client. Everything works fine. Addon is working with the new name, /reloadui works, etc. About 5-10 minutes later, I finally noticed that my action bars - the bottom ones, number two through six, are all empty on my main DPS role.
    The main action bar, #1, with the exp bar, is fine and untouched - it has the macros/abilities that it should have. My second role is fine.

I am 100% certain I never touched them, deleted anything off them, etc. Every single one of those bars had skills or macros or items on them. Now, they are all empty.
    Based on the timing of the odd crash and my action bars being wiped, although I can't be as 100% positive as I would like, I do believe that the addon confusion/crash may have caused the action bars to be wiped.

I have not yet attempted to reproduce this, nor do I think it would be particularly easy to reproduce. But if the addon crash is linked to action bars being wiped as I think it may be, I do think that this is.. a bad bug.
    Last edited by TimeBomb; 02-16-2012 at 06:57 PM.

This is interesting.

I just had my client crash after making a code change to an addon and doing a reloadui.

Hotkeybar #1 is OK, but the other bars I had added are all empty now.

This has happened before, but I'm not sure if it was related to a crash or not.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=125779&dateline=13553  38065

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Adelea View Post
    This is interesting.

I just had my client crash after making a code change to an addon and doing a reloadui.

Hotkeybar #1 is OK, but the other bars I had added are all empty now.

This has happened before, but I'm not sure if it was related to a crash or not.
    This was the same exact scenario I was in. I think that further solidifies that the two may very well be linked.
    Last edited by TimeBomb; 02-17-2012 at 03:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread