+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Command.Auction.Scan - Function Documentation

Shadowlander

Default Command.Auction.Scan - Function Documentation

If "index" is omitted then this function will error if the "auctionfullscan" queue is not ready.
    I do not see "index" as part of the parameter table, nor as an argument for a different overridden function call. Scans are working with parameter table, but after 3 subsequent scans the auctionfullscan queue goes into throttled mode for a few minutes.

How can I use the "index" that is spoken of here to have the scan effect the global queue instead? I have tried placing an index = ItemID, id = ItemID, and numerous other things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Plane Touched

Index is about paginating the scan.

If you add index=n then you'll get the results from the other of parameters for auctions n+1 to n+50.

For example, if you call

Auction.Command.Scan({type="search", text="Mana Potion", index=0})

You get the same results as if searching Mana Potion in the native UI auction window, that is, the first 50 results or first page.

If you use index=50 instead, you'd get the results for auctions 51 to 100, that is, the second page. You can continue increasing in steps of 50 until the result table has less than 50 auctions, when you would have reached the end of the result set.

As Auction.Command.Scan consumes a hardware event, each time you'd have to ask the user to push the button again to continue scanning, which would be annoying if you need to perform a full scan. Also, if any other user post auctions that match your criteria, or any auction matching your criteria is sold or expires while you are in the middle of this process, probably you'd miss some auctions.

However, there are a few scenarios where using the index parameter would be useful:

- If you don't want to perform a full scan but replicate the paginating of the native UI

- If you indeed want to perform a full scan of that item but know or expect beforehand that the cardinality of the results will be lower than 50, you can add index=0 to avoid wasting one of your precious auctionfullscan queue slots.
    Last edited by Baanano; 02-16-2012 at 12:07 AM.

3.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #3
    Rift Team

Whoops, you're right, that's missing from the documentation. I'll put it in, thanks for the catch.

Baanano's description is correct.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Side note: In the case where the results are a multiple of 50, you will not get fewer-than-50 results on the last page; I am not sure what happens if you then try the next page, presumably you get 0 results.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Shadowlander

Thanks for the help. Makes sense now that the index is the page that is displayed. If I happen to come across what happens when 50 line items are returned, I'll post it here.

+ Reply to Thread