+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Zoc

Thread: [Addon] zBag - An inventory management addon

Zoc
    Soulwalker

Default [Addon] zBag - An inventory management addon

Hey guys,

For the past few days, I've been putting together this little addon for inventory management.

http://s.riftui.com/preview/pvw451.jpg

I'm willing to make a replacement for the current inventory system, which uses separated bags as containers into a single-window inventory.

I just got my Rift Lite upgraded into a full account, so I'm able to post in this forum now.

I hope you guys give it a try, like it and provide feedback

Thank you!

http://www.riftui.com/downloads/info180-zBag.html

Shadowlander

Default Great work

While I don't use this addon yet as it is still very new in development, and missing some features that I would consider essential, I have tried out Beta 3, Beta 5 and Beta 7.

I must say that I have been very impressed with your progress, the speed of updates and new features, and I will go so far as to say I think when this project nears completion it will be one of the must have addons for people who want easy to manage inventories.

Keep up the great work, and I wish you well with your future updates.

Shadowlander

I really want a functioning single-window inventory addon! So I am very much hoping you get a more finalized version very soon.

(Think I may go grab one of your current Beta versions, see how it behaves.)

Zoc
    Soulwalker

Thank you for your support guys!

I'm copying and pasting a post I made on this topic regarding zBag development, RL status and hopefully to receive contributions to the addon <3

For the next 2 weeks I'll be very busy with my thesis (omg), but I should resume work on the addon after that.

I already have some plans on the next steps, starting by memory improvements and automatic bag update (when items get added to your bag, etc.)

Sadly, some expected functions can't be added right now due to API limitations (ex: Use an item from the bag). I assume this protection might be in place to avoid the automatic use of items and prevent botting. Still, I'm sure addon authors will be able to use items from inventory very soon.

The main topic on this forums regarding zBag can be found here: http://forums.riftgame.com/beta-addo...ent-addon.html

If you're a programmer and you're willing to contribute to zBag, please, feel free to do so and send me the patches or updated files - I'll check them and merge them right away!
    Please, just keep your code clean ;)

Thank you!

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Is your thesis really more important than the convenience of random strangers who are too lazy to write their own addon?

Because if you think like that, I warn you that you may find addon development a thankless task. :P
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Shadowlander

One feature that I would like to see added, that you haven't listed, something I consider essential for any good inventory add-on is to detect when the player opens their bags/bank using the default user interface or hot key.

When the player opens their bags/bank, your add-on should catch the event, open your add-on's inventory screen, and suppress the default UI inventory elements. That way your add-on is used instead of the default UI, instead of having to open your add-on separately with a slash command.

I hope you will take this feature suggestion under advisement, and implement it in the near future. Keep up the good work, I look forward to testing future versions.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaEclipse View Post
    One feature that I would like to see added, that you haven't listed, something I consider essential for any good inventory add-on is to detect when the player opens their bags/bank using the default user interface or hot key.

When the player opens their bags/bank, your add-on should catch the event, open your add-on's inventory screen, and suppress the default UI inventory elements. That way your add-on is used instead of the default UI, instead of having to open your add-on separately with a slash command.

I hope you will take this feature suggestion under advisement, and implement it in the near future. Keep up the good work, I look forward to testing future versions.
    Not possible with the current API. Probably the main reason no one has even bothered developing a bag "replacement" addon.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by theepiphany View Post
    Not possible with the current API. Probably the main reason no one has even bothered developing a bag "replacement" addon.
    Just to be more precise, you can detect when opening bags but not suppress the default ui, as far as I know.

couldn't you remap the bag open hotkey B to a button on an unused hotbar? then just put a macro into that hotbar slot that says /addoninventory or whatever the command is?

its not exactly user friendly but should work right?

Zoc
    Soulwalker

It's possible to detect when the bag is opened (that's pretty simple to do) and open the addon frame together, but there's no way to hide the bags for now.

Also, there's no way to currently use an item directly from the (new) bag-frame, so, the bag addon won't be very useful atm. (For now, you can place the item from the frame bag on the action bar and use it.)

I would love if it was possible to instantiate a native bag-slot button on a frame, instead of replicating it, like I currently do (still lacks a lot of features). Maybe ZorbaTHut could expose that API for us ?
    Last edited by Zoc; 02-27-2012 at 11:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread