+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Everfire

Thread: [Request for Addon] Quest Tracker

Plane Touched

Default [Request for Addon] Quest Tracker

I would like to request that a "quest tracker" addon be written for us mere mortal ascendants.

I've got a number of zones with missing quests, I've hunted high and low looking for those missing ones. I'd really love to be able to have something / anything that allows me to know what quests I need to do. It should be able to select Defiant/Guardian/Both, plus distinguish those Race/Class/Craft quests as well.

What I'm currently doing is going through ZAM's quest lists for each zone, and visiting every single NPC quest giver mentioned.

/sigh

TIA
    Last edited by Everfire; 02-07-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Telaran

I am currently attempting to develop this but Trion has not gave us any API to access a table of which quests have been completed. If we had access to that, then I could write an Add-On for this.

Soulwalker

Default story quests

i am having the same issue with the story line quests. i am missing 1 or more in silverwood and i swear i ran the whole zone many times and i cant find it. a tracker would help out alot.

Plane Touched

You'll be able to check which quests you have completed in 1.8.

Don't know if anybody is writing an addon for that, though.

Correction: you will be able to get IDs of the completed quests.
    Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

Plane Touched

And then you can search in the Discoveries Quests file to which quests those quest IDs belong.

And which quests you're missing. And the Givers/NPCId that starts that quest. Which you can use to search the name of the giver in the Discoveries NPCs file. Which you can use to search that npc position in a site like the ZAM one.

The only thing we cannot do yet is to add a marker in in the map positions where the givers of the missing quests are.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Baanano View Post
    And then you can search in the Discoveries Quests file to which quests those quest IDs belong.

And which quests you're missing. And the Givers/NPCId that starts that quest. Which you can use to search the name of the giver in the Discoveries NPCs file. Which you can use to search that npc position in a site like the ZAM one.

The only thing we cannot do yet is to add a marker in in the map positions where the givers of the missing quests are.
    This sounds fantastic. I'm sure we can find the "givers of quests". Sure it would be easier, but I'm not greedy

Soulwalker

OK consider me old and senile but I have no idea where to find these files, I tried searching my whole computer for them but never came across them. Can someone give an old lady a better breakdown on how to find this file that will show me what quests I have already completed? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamarile View Post
    OK consider me old and senile but I have no idea where to find these files, I tried searching my whole computer for them but never came across them. Can someone give an old lady a better breakdown on how to find this file that will show me what quests I have already completed? Thank you.
    ftp://ftp.trionworlds.com/rift/data/

... Unless they are talking about the discoverylog file, which you need to turn on once, as it stays enabled until you turn it off. It persists through game sessions. You can upload data to a third party site here, which tracks items, NPCs, drops, etc. The site contains instructions about the discoverylog.
    Last edited by Lorandii; 05-13-2012 at 07:43 PM.

Plane Touched

It indeed is the Quests.xml file from ftp://ftp.trionworlds.com/rift/data/Rift_Discoveries...

However, searching in it manually probably isn't a good idea.

The basic idea for an addon would be:

1) Transform the Quests.xml file into a lua table. Example:

{
    q0000000000000001 = { name = "Quest 1", zone = "Freemarch", giverName = "NPC name", giverCoords = { 5000, 0, 5000 } },
    q0000000000000002 = { name = "Quest 2", zone = "Another zone", giverName = "Another NPC name", giverCoords = { 4000, 0, 6000 } },
    }

2) Compare the results from Inspect.Quest.Complete() with that table to search those quest IDs IN the full table and NOT IN the completed table

3) Display messages like
    "You're missing quest 'Quest 2' in Freemarch. The giver is 'Another NPC name' in coords (4000, 6000)."

I'd like to write it as an addon some day, but haven't had time yet

Shadowlander

Currently doing final exams but I'm interested in developing this addon, I just quickly wrote a little script that exports the xml quest file into a lua table. Expect to see something in the next month, but if anyone is up for the challenge I'm keen to share my work so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Baanano View Post
    It indeed is the Quests.xml file from ftp://ftp.trionworlds.com/rift/data/Rift_Discoveries...

However, searching in it manually probably isn't a good idea.

The basic idea for an addon would be:

1) Transform the Quests.xml file into a lua table. Example:

{
    q0000000000000001 = { name = "Quest 1", zone = "Freemarch", giverName = "NPC name", giverCoords = { 5000, 0, 5000 } },
    q0000000000000002 = { name = "Quest 2", zone = "Another zone", giverName = "Another NPC name", giverCoords = { 4000, 0, 6000 } },
    }

2) Compare the results from Inspect.Quest.Complete() with that table to search those quest IDs IN the full table and NOT IN the completed table

3) Display messages like
    "You're missing quest 'Quest 2' in Freemarch. The giver is 'Another NPC name' in coords (4000, 6000)."

I'd like to write it as an addon some day, but haven't had time yet

Plane Touched

Any joy with this one? I've found a couple more quests, and have managed to complete 2 of my outstanding zones. But it's still annoying

+ Reply to Thread