+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Detecting what role a player is using?

Default Detecting what role a player is using?

I'm a bit confused and if I'm understanding this correctly will be a bit irritated.

Added *.TEMPORARY.Role. As the name should indicate, this function and event will not exist forever - it's intended as a holdover until the full soul tree API is added. This allows you to detect what role a player is using, as well as get an event when the player's role changes.

Is this saying others can determine what souls I have? And how I spent those points?

If so no I don't like this. I don't want anything role or gear detectable available to others. I means seriously didn't we voice this a lot in threads that relate just to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Aalnyan View Post
    I'm a bit confused and if I'm understanding this correctly will be a bit irritated.

Added *.TEMPORARY.Role. As the name should indicate, this function and event will not exist forever - it's intended as a holdover until the full soul tree API is added. This allows you to detect what role a player is using, as well as get an event when the player's role changes.

Is this saying others can determine what souls I have? And how I spent those points?

If so no I don't like this. I don't want anything role or gear detectable available to others. I means seriously didn't we voice this a lot in threads that relate just to that?
    I think it means that eventually people will be able to see your trees and where points are spent (I imagine a full soul API would have to do at least that). But as of now with the role they can just see whether you're damage, tank, support, heals, etc.

Not sure why you're so concerned about it considering I cant click your signature and see what souls you have and what points you spent where.

Quote Originally Posted by theepiphany View Post
    I think it means that eventually people will be able to see your trees and where points are spent (I imagine a full soul API would have to do at least that). But as of now with the role they can just see whether you're damage, tank, support, heals, etc.

Not sure why you're so concerned about it considering I cant click your signature and see what souls you have and what points you spent where.
    You can see what I choose to share not which points I might of changed. Its a choice thing. If you refer back to the armory thread there must of been at least 50 pages of how people don't want such features. Its called choice. We can choose via magelo or zam etc to share our stuff not being given the in game ability to click and see.

4.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #4
    Rift Team

It only works on the player who is currently logged in. It's intended for addons that behave differently depending on your soul spec - this way they can tell which soul spec you're using, which, previously, they couldn't.

It does not let people inspect other people's soul trees.

Quote Originally Posted by ZorbaTHut View Post
    It only works on the player who is currently logged in. It's intended for addons that behave differently depending on your soul spec - this way they can tell which soul spec you're using, which, previously, they couldn't.

It does not let people inspect other people's soul trees.
    Such functionality would be nice. It would prevent those annoying wipes because someone forgot to use the right spec on a certain boss. ;)
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

6.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #6
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
    Such functionality would be nice. It would prevent those annoying wipes because someone forgot to use the right spec on a certain boss. ;)
    On the other hand, some people really like having that information be hidden

That's the sort of thing that I go talk to Design about before implementing. On top of that, it would take a ton of work. This isn't me saying "it will happen", nor is it me saying "it will never happen", this is me saying "it won't happen right now, we might talk about it in more depth in a few months".

Rift Chaser

That's the sort of thing that I go talk to Design about before implementing. On top of that, it would take a ton of work. This isn't me saying "it will happen", nor is it me saying "it will never happen", this is me saying "it won't happen right now, we might talk about it in more depth in a few months".

I agree. Lots of people would be subjected to others peoples opinions on what role they should use.

Plane Walker

^
    It's def. the sort of information I'd like to keep hidden.

I feel awkward having people judge me by inspecting my gear, it'd be really bad if people started doing it vs. roles...

Whatever happened to just talking to people, why the need for spying?!
    Doesn't matter what is put here, someone is going to @#%^& about it, regardless of what it is.

Rift Disciple

a lot of information about a person's role is already available if you're paying attention. for example, let's suppose you're grouped with a mage and you know they have Chloro because they're casting Bloom, Flourish and Radiant Spores. if you see them use the Void Life ability, then you know they have 51 points in Chloromancer, and therefore no more than 15 points in any other souls. but if you see them use Mortality, you know they must have a minimum of 20 points in Warlock, which means they can't possibly have more than 46 points in Chloro.

-ken
    Snowreap Yellowtail Preyz Taralin
    < The Purge > Guardian Seastone

+ Reply to Thread