+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Addon API moving too slow?

Rift Master

Default Addon API moving too slow?

I thought by now, near Feb 2012. Closing nearly a year of rift, the addon API would be a lot more lively than it is now.

It seems a lot is still restricted or hasn't been implemented yet. If looking back, I can't see many "BIG" changes to the API since it's actual initial release, just adding small stuff it seems?
    A remnant of special olympics world first hammerknell - 27th July 2011 - Best raid ever to be opened. I was a mighty warrior tank. Had many friends and was appreciated in the community.

Looking back at RIFT is bittersweet. Ah damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuxt View Post
    I thought by now, near Feb 2012. Closing nearly a year of rift, the addon API would be a lot more lively than it is now.

It seems a lot is still restricted or hasn't been implemented yet. If looking back, I can't see many "BIG" changes to the API since it's actual initial release, just adding small stuff it seems?
    I want complex and amazing addons just as bad as the next guy (if not more). Add ons really allow you to fully customize your gaming experience and I love that stuff. That said, what matters is it is moving forward versus not at all. Zorba seems pretty active in almost all threads giving people clear expectations on what they may see soon versus not.

Considering the addon API is still considered beta I don't think we're much into a position to complain about it - I just hope it doesn't turn out being abandoned at some point in time. I do hope development speeds up this year, but I'm happy seeing that it's at least still actively developed.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I'd say it's pretty fast. I guess the big thing for me is... The stuff we get is solid. It doesn't leave us struggling horribly with interfaces that seem to have been designed out of spite.

Infrastructure work is hard and looks slow, but if you take the time to do it right, the project as a whole is faster. Look at it this way: Pretty sure Zorba was doing some non-addon stuff still at release. In under 10 months, he's given us an API which, for the things it does, is more stable and mature than the WoW addon API is after seven years. Look at the stuff being added in 1.7, too. Yeah, it'll be a while before everything is done, but compared to waiting four years for a way to get combat events that doesn't involve having to manually parse localized strings? Yeah.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Soulwalker

WoW addons until TBC were mostly just basic scripts with a paint job, so it wasn't until 2-3 years after release that the addons released really started to take shape. The Rift API at a glance seems to be progressing nicely. Keep in mind, it is largely community driven as well. If Rift starts to grow more, there will be more incentive for programmers to invest time into addons.
    Last edited by Nesshin; 01-31-2012 at 05:41 AM.

+ Reply to Thread