+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Open Addon Directory

Shadowlander

Default Open Addon Directory

Hi guys. I'm having an issue installing any addons. I've downloaded both RiftMeter and SimpleMeter but neither will show up after I click refresh.

When I click on the "Open addon directory" it opens up the "My Documents folder" by default.

I've extracted the addon folder to that location then click refresh but they don't appear in the addon list.

I have tried this on another pc with rift installed and it is the same issue. I would like to know if I'm making the same mistake twice, or if something might have gone wrong on the last update last night.

any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Hi guys. I'm having an issue installing any addons. I've downloaded both RiftMeter and SimpleMeter but neither will show up after I click refresh.

When I click on the "Open addon directory" it opens up the "My Documents folder" by default.

I've extracted the addon folder to that location then click refresh but they don't appear in the addon list.

I have tried this on another pc with rift installed and it is the same issue. I would like to know if I'm making the same mistake twice, or if something might have gone wrong on the last update last night.

any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
    It sounds like the 'path' to your addon directory isn't working right. Check these steps below. Also a tip, I save my addons to a random desktop folder(named Mods) and then extract them into that folder, so that I have a place to store old versions incase I ever need to revert after a patch. I just copy/paste the new versions from that folder to my rift addons folder. Extra steps but helps me personally when trying out many different addons or versions.

When you click on 'Open Addon Directory' your path at the top of the page should read something like this...
    Program Files>RiftGame>Interface>Addons

It is that last Addons Folder that you copy/paste your extracted addon into. If your path is not as I stated, you can manually path to your riftgame Addon folder yourself. Check inside Rift and make sure you have an Interface folder and that an Addons folder is nested inside. You can manually place your 'extracted' addon into this folder yourself.
    Last edited by Isadore; 01-20-2012 at 10:14 AM.

As a side note, it is a bad habit to install any game that has addons or mods into the Program Files folder. Win XP was the last version to properly allow access to the PF folder; Vista, 7, and the forthcoming 8 allow installs to that path, but you should never, ever do it.

Vista, 7, and 8 block programs from writing to the Program Files, which defeats the purpose of having addons with saved variables. During a game's install process, change the path to some place neutral. I use C:\Rift Game for example.

Shadowlander

I see what the problem was now. I'm not sure if you ever had to manually create the folders Interface/addons in the riftgame directory, but thats what was missing. cheers for your help mate.

+ Reply to Thread