+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Swishers

Thread: REQUEST : Viewable Health bars!

Rift Disciple

Default REQUEST : Viewable Health bars!

There's gotta be an easy like 20 second way to make an addon to change it to where all hostile (or allied) players have their health bar above their heads visible at all times.

Just about every other MMO in existence has this but Rift does not
    Swishers - Cleric - 4/4 FT, 3/5 EE, 4/4 DQ

General of Telara

For allies (in your raid), addons don't have access to nameplates to add an HP bar to it

For ennemies, you can only see their HP if you're targeting them in some way (targeting directly, someone you're targeting targeting them, someone in your raid targeting them, someone in your raid targeting someone targeting them, ...). So it's even less likely to happen :/

The closest you can get atm would be Wire's NPSee that will show HP bars for everything you can "see" (but not on top of units, will be a pile of HP bars somewhere on your screen)
    Last edited by Ethanol; 12-28-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ethanol View Post
    For allies (in your raid), addons don't have access to nameplates to add an HP bar to it

For ennemies, you can only see their HP if you're targeting them in some way (targeting directly, someone you're targeting targeting them, someone in your raid targeting them, someone in your raid targeting someone targeting them, ...). So it's even less likely to happen :/

The closest you can get atm would be Wire's NPSee that will show HP bars for everything you can "see" (but not on top of units, will be a pile of HP bars somewhere on your screen)
    Well that's ****ing dumb. Health Bars on nameplates has been an MMO staple since Ultima Online. Good lord Trion

Quote Originally Posted by Swishers View Post
    Well that's ****ing dumb. Health Bars on nameplates has been an MMO staple since Ultima Online. Good lord Trion
    Please remember that the addon API is a work in progress, and Zorba considers it to be in early Beta. Nameplates and all the other elements of the base UI are not accessable to addons right now. Eventually, yes, but again, work in progress.

Looking back in time, WoW's API wasn't as advanced after 9 months as Rift's is, and Rift's API is actually newer: it didn't come out until patch 1.3. Plus, Trion has been very kind to authors insofar as to publicly document the API, which Blizzard has never done. All information about WoW's API has been scraped and poked by users.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Lorandii View Post
    Please remember that the addon API is a work in progress, and Zorba considers it to be in early Beta. Nameplates and all the other elements of the base UI are not accessable to addons right now. Eventually, yes, but again, work in progress.

Looking back in time, WoW's API wasn't as advanced after 9 months as Rift's is, and Rift's API is actually newer: it didn't come out until patch 1.3. Plus, Trion has been very kind to authors insofar as to publicly document the API, which Blizzard has never done. All information about WoW's API has been scraped and poked by users.
    you might have a case if I needed to use an addon in WoW or ToR or WAR or DAoC or EQ or UO or DCUO or LOTRO or Aion or Champions Online or CoX or Matrix Online....to see the health bars. But I didn't. It's silly that they don't have a base option in the preferences for it, and it's even sillier that it isn't something that's inheriently moddable.
    Last edited by Swishers; 12-30-2011 at 06:27 AM.

Ah, but the base UI does have health bars in the nameplates. Just look for the option.

Ascendant

no it hasnt, and really NOONE understands why it isnt configurable... its an issue brought forward right in the first beta. The developer responsible for this must really be convinced his way is the better one to all other 1mio mmos out there doing it right ^^

and a little hint to zorba: nameplate addon is the MOST requested addon in this game, might be a really nice gift to implement the api to support this
    Last edited by Antigonos; 12-31-2011 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorandii View Post
    Ah, but the base UI does have health bars in the nameplates. Just look for the option.
    No, it doesn't. Rift only has hp nameplates for player and player's target. What people - including me - want are WoW-like hp nameplates, visible for every mob/player in reasonable area.
    Last edited by Kreiri; 12-31-2011 at 08:19 AM.
    Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

Soulwalker

New player, love the game. I'm also looking for this feature. I actually came to the forums to get the needed info so I could write the mod myself. I should have guessed that the only reason someone hadn't beat me to it was that its not possible to do.

Great game otherwise. cheers

I agree that addon-based nameplates probably would offer more and better solutions. I was just pointing out the base UI has them, even if they aren't up to par.

Soulwalker

Yes it does display a health bar, which is great when you are engaging a single target. The problem is with groups of targets.

A good example is the snowy rifts (Air i think they are, again I'm kind of new to the game so bear with me). Those rifts have small knee-high monsters in packs of 3 to 6. I can't remember what they are called offhand, but they are short and damn near blend in with the ground. Getting swarmed by them is a chore, especially if you are trying to AOE. Not being able to tell at a glance which one has the lowest health prevents you from concentrating attacks if you feel the situation calls for it. You are stuck having to tab around or manually click to each one to check health. Sometimes if I get adds I can't even tell whats around me because their bluish-white pygmy bodies practically blend into the whitish-blue ground. Factor in spell effects and combat text flying everywhere, and not having nameplates displayed becomes a burden. I usually rely on tab targeting because trying to click them directly is a pita.

The way the bars currently work does not address this problem, even in a work-around type of way.

These games are information-centric. Hectic battles are fun, but being compromised due to a lack of information about your enemies during them is not.

Ascendant

the pros for permanent (configurable) health bars are well known, and there are dozens of it. The only question is why rift doesnt have them. I really never understood that design decision, to not even make them optional...

Rift Master

Adding my support to this cause, it is DEFINITELY one of the features I miss most in RIFT and even a default UI option to have visible, clickable health bars above the heads of all enemies within 30m or something would be awesome. Toss some addon API support on top and we have a winner.

Soulwalker

The lack of health bars was one of the main reasons I quit after the first month; playing without such information is absolutely infuriating for DoT classes and PvP healers... I feel absolutely blind without them.

I am astonished that such a simple and useful feature is not an option by default, let alone unable to be implemented with addons.

+ Reply to Thread