+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By p3t3r1

Thread: Summary of popular addons as of 1.6.1

Default Summary of popular addons as of 1.6.1

Hey just in case anyone is curious, I summarize some of the current popular addons since 1.6.1 that are still working.

Let me know if there is any I have missed!

Link: http://rift.mmosite.com/addon/

Alternative link: http://dulfycleric.wordpress.com/201...1-6-1-edition/

Champion

Excellent post and work! Thanks a lot for this.

A couple of notes regarding my addons:

nkRebuff works for any class. Allthough it started as an addon for Rogues and I do play one today it works for any class. Actually I find it quite usefull for my mage alt

Also nkRebuff does support 3rd party buffs since one of the last cople of versions.

Finally I agree with your comment on the loot tables in nkAdvisor not being complete for some of the 'newer' instances. However I rely on the information available on the web and since I need to maintain the loot tables manually there's a lot room for improvement. So if you could include a comment that people could drop me a note if something is asmiss in a loot table that'd be awsome

Again thanks a lot for your work on this overview.

Cheers
    N.

Telaran

Great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Naifu View Post
    Excellent post and work! Thanks a lot for this.

A couple of notes regarding my addons:

nkRebuff works for any class. Allthough it started as an addon for Rogues and I do play one today it works for any class. Actually I find it quite usefull for my mage alt

Also nkRebuff does support 3rd party buffs since one of the last cople of versions.

Finally I agree with your comment on the loot tables in nkAdvisor not being complete for some of the 'newer' instances. However I rely on the information available on the web and since I need to maintain the loot tables manually there's a lot room for improvement. So if you could include a comment that people could drop me a note if something is asmiss in a loot table that'd be awsome

Again thanks a lot for your work on this overview.

Cheers
    N.
    Hey, thanks for the comments, I will update the things you mentioned for NkRebuff & NkAdvisor

Great article (better still when I saw my own addon at the bottom, thanks .

You may want to consider posting a link to your article in the General forum as I doubt many non-addon devs read the contents of the API forum.
    ...the internet treats censorship as damage, and routes around it...
    NerfedWar Addons and Tutorials
    * Note: tutorials are currently being ported to the new site.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfedWar View Post
    Great article (better still when I saw my own addon at the bottom, thanks .

You may want to consider posting a link to your article in the General forum as I doubt many non-addon devs read the contents of the API forum.
    Will do

Shadowlander

I noticed you said something about StarTip causing stuttering. v1.2.6 tries to address this. The main issue seems to be screen clamping, where StarTip tries to keep the tooltip inside the screen's boundaries when moving the mouse near the edges of the screen. Hopefully this type of clamping will some day be performed on Zorba's end? Would be awesome. I also can likely improve on this without the need of calling SetPoint twice at each frame update.

Also, when you initially mouse over someone there's a lot that goes on. Some lines updates twice, once to evaluate whether the line is to be shown or not, and finally to display the line. Some lines refresh every so often. This is where I tried to trim some CPU time by increasing the intervals. Health/Mana lines update every 300ms, Name line updates every 1 second, target line every 1 second. Bars every 300ms. Background every 300ms. No Event.Unit.Detail events are used as it doesn't seem warranted when the tooltip is mainly viewed at a glance, unlike a unit frames addon. Like I said, the biggest CPU bump is when initially mousing over someone. So if you mouse over a bunch of people in the city, then there's a performance hit. I haven't received much feedback, but so far you're the first to mention poor performance.

I should add that the profile "Natural" is likely easier on the CPU. "Default" is basically an example of all available information at once. Also, Default doesn't try to consolidate information. "Natural" is more streamline and looks a bit better too. To change to Natural, type: /startip profile Natural

Lastly, if you want to fine-tune the CPU usage by making the "updating" lines non-updating, increasing the refresh intervals, or disabling certain lines, then the addon can be entirely customized by writing a profile of your own, which is an addon by itself that depends on StarTip. StarTipNatural and StarTipDefaults are both examples people can copy and modify and are located inside StarTip's directory. You can customize one of these and rename the profile at the bottom of the file, and you'll also need to modify the "Identifier" line in the RiftAddon.toc file. Then use '/startip profile ProfileName' to switch to that profile. Check to make sure your profile is available by typing '/startip' by itself.

Thanks for mentioning my addon.

Shadowlander

I did some more work to try and counter the complaint you had, mainly by caching unit details instead of calling Inspect.Unit.Details() every tooltip cell, and then making use of events to update those caches.

Also, I changed it so that clamping doesn't require an extra SetPoint. That alone should speed things up.

Please review v1.2.8 on riftui.com and let me know if the changes made any difference. I would love to see a better review on that list if it can be helped.

Also, if it still causes stuttering, please give some feedback on whether the 'Natural' profile also causes it.

Much appreciation.
    Last edited by Starlon; 12-16-2011 at 02:58 AM.

+ Reply to Thread