+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Chat Mods to show chat text in a configurable on-screen window.

Ascendant

Default Chat Mods to show chat text in a configurable on-screen window.

I would like to be able to make a chat mod that mirrors certain text from my chat frame into a repositionable frame - my father does not see well and he plays the game, so I'd like to be able to add a frame (non-interactive) to display, for example, whisper text or guild text in the appropriate color with configurable font sizes. Eventually, different chimes to be played.

On the wiki, all I can find is an event Event.Chat.Notify, but no corresponding documentation for it.

He's really struggling in the game. I wrote this mod for WoW and I confess I became addicted to using it myself.

Event.Chat.Notify is only for boss emotes; we don't yet have the ability to listen to player chat.
    a community-oriented site for all things Rift

Soulwalker

Default When will this functionality be available?

When will the functionality be available to see events for all chat messages? It would be nice to be able to have events fire for tells, guild chat, party and raid chat, etc. I would also like to be able to play sounds when these events fire to notify me when they happen audibly. I noticed there is no sound api either. Is that something that's in the works too?

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuan View Post
    When will the functionality ... <snip>
    Only ZorbaTHut can answer that, and 99% of the time he never reveals what is coming next in the API. The 1% is usually expected bug fixes or necessary changes.

5.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #5
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Lorandii View Post
    Only ZorbaTHut can answer that, and 99% of the time he never reveals what is coming next in the API. The 1% is usually expected bug fixes or necessary changes.
    Yep.

I do this because I'm never quite sure how things will be reorganized - there's a few chunks of API that just keep getting bumped for more important things, there's a few chunks that get snuck in when I have a day before cutoff and no more important projects that I can fit in a day. So you get something unimportant instead.

If I announced my plans, I'd just end up spending half my time apologizing for not following my plans :V

For what it's worth, chat *is* on the list, and it's moving closer to the top. Not 1.7, though.

Rift Disciple

In the meantime, you could try creating a new chat window and changing the font size and color on it and configure it to show the chat channels, whispers, etc. that you need. I've done that myself for separating out trade and level 50 chat for example.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by dOxxx View Post
    In the meantime, you could try creating a new chat window and changing the font size and color on it and configure it to show the chat channels, whispers, etc. that you need. I've done that myself for separating out trade and level 50 chat for example.
    I've tried this, but it still becomes interactive and blocks that part of the screen. The real problem is making it so that he can see it while making it noninteractive and removing all the chat widgets.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by ZorbaTHut View Post
    Yep.

I do this because I'm never quite sure how things will be reorganized - there's a few chunks of API that just keep getting bumped for more important things, there's a few chunks that get snuck in when I have a day before cutoff and no more important projects that I can fit in a day. So you get something unimportant instead.

If I announced my plans, I'd just end up spending half my time apologizing for not following my plans :V

For what it's worth, chat *is* on the list, and it's moving closer to the top. Not 1.7, though.
    Any chance that after 2 and a half years this has moved "closer" to the top?

Quote Originally Posted by Keesin View Post
    I give this request a +1

Quote Originally Posted by Keesin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinsalot View Post
    I give this request a +1
    Well there hasn't been much done with the addon AIP for over a year now. The addon dev was pulled into improving the game performance, which is obviously more important than addons.

+ Reply to Thread