+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: [Request] One-bag'like addon?

Default [Request] One-bag'like addon?

Well, the only thing about Rift that bothers me are my unorganized bags.
    I'd rather have one huge bag where I can organize my items in than 5 different bags hogging up my screen.

I'm pretty sure that there are multiple people feeling this way (especially because it's a really popular wow add-on). So I thought someone made it already.
    I searched on curse, but I couldn't find it.

So... anyone?
    Thanks~
    EU <BloodIron> PvP
    <Chronic Insanity>

Zemoa's World - A Rift Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Zemoa View Post
    Well, the only thing about Rift that bothers me are my unorganized bags.
    I'd rather have one huge bag where I can organize my items in than 5 different bags hogging up my screen.

I'm pretty sure that there are multiple people feeling this way (especially because it's a really popular wow add-on). So I thought someone made it already.
    I searched on curse, but I couldn't find it.

So... anyone?
    Thanks~
    One thing I'm working on for Altometer is a Bagnon-style inventory listing. It'll take some work (and a soon-to-be-released game will likely put a damper on my development cycle), but I hope to create an interface that will allow you to use have a single bag that you can move things around. Getting something as fully functional as the bags are in Rift may be impossible, however.....I don't know how to set up a "right-click to use" functionality (possibly using macros), nor can you drag items from the Addon to your bars for quick access. Also, another limitation is that you wouldn't be able to arrange your inventory during combat (at least, I don't think I could make that possible).

The best I could do, at least for the moment, is to show all bags on-screen in one window and allow moving and sorting using that....then the bags themselves will reflect the organization you put into the Addon.
    a community-oriented site for all things Rift

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

LootSorter doesn't really do that, and isn't a functional bag yet (there's no way to use items from it, and it in general can't be used for things like right-click-to-sell), but it does give cross-alt functionality.

Disclaimer: It's sorta poorly-designed right now because I hadn't anticipated the cross-faction alt email thing, so it assumes you don't care about cross-faction alts.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

How can one big bag be more organised? Sounds more messy to me

No I like to have different bags, but it is about time to give us bigger bags or even boxes for the bank, space is always running low.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

The nice thing about a one-bag thing is that you no longer have to worry about what horrors occur when you get your 21st artifact or whatever.

I'm messing with the notion of making LootSorter more general about handling multiple filters. That just occurred to me, but it doesn't really solve this problem.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    How can one big bag be more organised? Sounds more messy to me
    Then you have never checked out one-bag addons in World of Warcraft. They did not make all your bags into one bag; rather they hid the existing bag frames in favour of a new, better organized, frame. There were several such addons with varying features, but instead of linking over a dozen addons, just look at AdiBags' pictures and read the write-up.

7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #7
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Aieny View Post
    Getting something as fully functional as the bags are in Rift may be impossible, however.....
    In general, if you run into missing functionality, please let me know. This interface hasn't really been exercised by anyone yet and there may be missing functionality.

I don't know how to set up a "right-click to use" functionality (possibly using macros)
    Macros should work for usable items. For things like equipment, where right-click means "equip", you'd have to code it yourself. I've been thinking about some more generalized system where it just "does the right thing" as if it were an inventory item.

nor can you drag items from the Addon to your bars for quick access.
    This should be possible via Command.Cursor.

Also, another limitation is that you wouldn't be able to arrange your inventory during combat (at least, I don't think I could make that possible)
    With the exception of the macros needed for right-click-to-use, this shouldn't be a problem at all - none of the inventory functions are out-of-combat-only.

Soulwalker

For my own part I would be happy if Trion could add the same interface scaling capability for bag (and other interface windows - frex, the crafting window pegs @ 33% of the screen) as they have for the toolbars and other HUD-ly displays. As for combing all the bags into one - meh, not for me - I'm one of those anal retentive types that has to keep all my crap organized in different bags.

Just one more little tab in the "Interface" options with an on/off checkbox, a scaling slider, and a numeric scale input for each of (but not necessarily limited to): Bags, Bank (or just combine them into "Inventory" works for me), Crafting, Quest, Character, Guild, etc. A global override to set them all at once would be sweet too.

Speaking a a noob Warcraft convert, the RIFT interface controls are actually quite comprehensive - I don't miss having to update things like Bartender, MageNuggets, etc. after every update. I do, however, miss Recount (a real-time comprehensive combat statistics reporting mechanism) and Omen (threat/agro metering).

I have been planning a similar addon, but I have run into a certain problem: Is there a way to disable already existing RIFT UI elements? I mean no one wants to have 2 of the same bags up at the same time. Is this available already?

10.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #10
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by avidgamer123 View Post
    I have been planning a similar addon, but I have run into a certain problem: Is there a way to disable already existing RIFT UI elements? I mean no one wants to have 2 of the same bags up at the same time. Is this available already?
    Not at the moment, although this is solvable by just not opening your default bags. It's definitely on the todo list.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ZorbaTHut View Post
    Not at the moment, although this is solvable by just not opening your default bags. It's definitely on the todo list.
    Hmmm I think this is a typical case of user priority vs developer priority here. I really believe you should shift priority in this matter. The problem is the normal user's perspective. The player will hit 'B' no matter what you tell him and then complain that the standard bags open. So from an useability point of view not being able to redirect the standard UI elements towards and addon is a no-go killer. The normal player will not and doesn't want to understand the restriction and simply not use such a bag addon at all. This goes for any replacement for standard UI features. If the addon replacing a standard UI element doesn't react on the standard keybinding you can as well forget about building it.

I suggest to put stuff like this a bit higher on the prio list as it's very fundamental and the lack makes investment into API functionality allowing such addons as bag handling a waste of time IMHO.

Cheers
    N.
    Last edited by Naifu; 12-12-2011 at 02:03 AM.

12.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #12
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Naifu View Post
    Hmmm I think this is a typical case of user priority vs developer priority here. I really believe you should shift priority in this matter. The problem is the normal user's perspective. The player will hit 'B' no matter what you tell him and then complain that the standard bags open. So from an useability point of view not being able to redirect the standard UI elements towards and addon is a no-go killer.
    Well, put it this way. Which would you rather have:

* The ability to write bag addons, but not the ability to suppress the existing bag UI.

* The ability to suppress the existing bag UI, but not the ability to write bag addons.

We have limited resources to put towards the addon system and we have to prioritize. Most of the time, that prioritization has gone towards adding more capability to the API. We've been adding "support" features as we go, but this one just hasn't arrived yet.

Note that you've really got two features here, both of which are kind of complicated - hooking and suppressing existing UI elements, and hooking into the hotkey system. They're both going to be a significant amount of work and the former has real potential for causing bugs throughout the entire game.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ZorbaTHut View Post
    Well, put it this way. Which would you rather have:

* The ability to write bag addons, but not the ability to suppress the existing bag UI.

* The ability to suppress the existing bag UI, but not the ability to write bag addons.

We have limited resources to put towards the addon system and we have to prioritize. Most of the time, that prioritization has gone towards adding more capability to the API. We've been adding "support" features as we go, but this one just hasn't arrived yet.

Note that you've really got two features here, both of which are kind of complicated - hooking and suppressing existing UI elements, and hooking into the hotkey system. They're both going to be a significant amount of work and the former has real potential for causing bugs throughout the entire game.
    Translation: I spend so much time into giving you this functionality and now you're telling me it's useless without that other functionality? Bugger off mate!

I have no clue what your backend looks like, but what I know is how user look at a system. You really should have choosen option 3:

No time spend into the ability to write bag addons until you're able to invest time into the ability to suppress the existing bag UI

Yes I am the arrogant bastard telling you what to do. Read my signature I'm currently very much dragging you down to my level and using my experience against you

Cheers
    N.

Consider this: if Zorba had waited until keybind functionality and default UI suppression functionality were implemented before giving us item information and item commands, we would STILL be without the ability to see item information. Yes, from a user's perspective, it's annoying that they can't just hit B and get the new bag Addon to show. And, if it's such a deal-breaker that the user chooses not to use the Addon, c'est la vie. It's not as if your Addon doesn't have that functionality when another one does have it, after all

From a development perspective, I'd rather be able to actually write the bag Addon, then introduce the extras like keybinds once that is available, as opposed to waiting for both functions to be added before being able to begin writing the Addon. I'll admit, I'd rather have keybind functionality sooner rather than later (as then the normal bag key can be bound to a bag Addon), but, in the meantime, a macro works just fine.
    a community-oriented site for all things Rift

I have my bias towards certain API priorities, but I tend to keep them more or less to myself. However, I also tend to write addons for myself (which explains why Broker Bar is taking so long, if anyone wondered), and release them because maybe other people would like them. But I never, ever, write addons for someone else.

Taking the bag addon idea, and adding my viewpoint, if I were to write such an addon and put it on Curse and RiftUI, I personally don't really care that a few thousand people might complain about keybinds and whatnot. My addon is what it is, and if I were to improve it later to include such functionality, then I improve it because I want that improvement.

End users benefit, but I still don't, and won't, write for them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast