+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rift Addon Studio

Default Rift Addon Studio

I am currently working on a project that is like Wow Addon Studio here is the link http://addonstudio.codeplex.com/. Obvousily i will need testers and what not, when i get to that point. The hosting site will be at http://riftaddonstudio.codeplex.com/. If this is something that would interest people let me know, and i will continue to work on the project.

EDIT: A skeleton of the project is on codeplex. It will be open sourced as well. for any who wish to contribute.

Thanks,
    dwatson031
    David
    Last edited by dwatson031; 10-24-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dwatson031 View Post
    I am currently working on a project that is like Wow Addon Studio here is the link http://addonstudio.codeplex.com/. Obvousily i will need testers and what not, when i get to that point. The hosting site will be at http://riftaddonstudio.codeplex.com/, it is not published yet. If this is something that would interest people let me know, and i will continue to work on the project.

Thanks,
    dwatson031
    David
    I'm working on something similar but as an in-game wysiwyg addon to write other addons rather than an external tool. Project is up on RiftUI and hopefully I'll get something alpha out this or next week.

I like the idea of an external addon creator though, great idea. Count me in as an alpha tester.
    ...the internet treats censorship as damage, and routes around it...
    NerfedWar Addons and Tutorials
    * Note: tutorials are currently being ported to the new site.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfedWar View Post
    I'm working on something similar but as an in-game wysiwyg addon to write other addons rather than an external tool.
    I've seen it, haven't installed it yet, and it reminds me of WoWLua by Cladhaire. The only problem with both is that you can write addon code, but you cannot save addon code. Addons have no access to the I/O system, nor should they.

Great for practice coding to check the results of "what if?" but that's as far as she goes. And no, I am not knocking your project; I think it is a great idea.

As for a Rift Addon Studio, I'm all for that, so long as it generates better code than its WoW equivalent, and more importantly, is maintained.

Soulwalker

I'm thinking he might mean something more along the lines of OpenRDX (Open Raid Data Exchange) where you could essentially build your own addons on the fly within WoW (and the RDX Framework) and the information would stored in a SavedVariables file and parsed back out when the addon loaded. Also supported things like context sensitive UIs (automagically changing between a questing, party, and raid UI setup, with support for others that you could activate on your own).

If thats not what he means I'm all up for working with someone to build a similar system.

EDIT: just looked at the LUAPad addon in his sig.... so nothing at all like RDX if that is what is being referenced
    Last edited by Nardonius; 10-24-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorandii View Post
    I've seen it, haven't installed it yet, and it reminds me of WoWLua by Cladhaire. The only problem with both is that you can write addon code, but you cannot save addon code. Addons have no access to the I/O system, nor should they.

Great for practice coding to check the results of "what if?" but that's as far as she goes. And no, I am not knocking your project; I think it is a great idea.

As for a Rift Addon Studio, I'm all for that, so long as it generates better code than its WoW equivalent, and more importantly, is maintained.
    Hi both, the project wiz-eee-wig has no files to download as yet, as i said, a release may be ready this or next week. LuaPad is something different, just a simple lua notepad, obviously nothing like a wysiwyg add on creation system.

OpenRDX was not around back when I used to play wow, but from what you describe, sounds very much like what I am intending. Thanks, Going to look it up now to fish for ideas...

The idea is exactly as you describe though, a place for testing ideas (and maybe in future it will support export of code via cut and paste or similar).
    Last edited by NerfedWar; 10-24-2011 at 04:53 PM.
    ...the internet treats censorship as damage, and routes around it...
    NerfedWar Addons and Tutorials
    * Note: tutorials are currently being ported to the new site.

yes i do plan to maintain as much as possible...it hopefully much better then wow's counter part
    Last edited by dwatson031; 10-24-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Ok here's an update:

Rift Addon Studio is coming along nicely. I've changed directions though. Instead of using Visual Studio as the base. I've switched over to the SharpDevelope IDE. Hopefully it wont be to much longer before i can post a beta for people to try out.

Also i would like to get some input from people. How should the frames designer go. I was thinking of doing some sort of xml file type thing with a xmlparser for lua to parse the xml files. Until trion goes the direction they wont with the api.

So essential you would design your ui for your frames and it would act similar to like a xaml file then you include the xml parse lib in your lua code and parse the xml file for the frame info you want.

any ideas are welcome.

thanks,
    dwatson031

Hey dwatson031,

I hope that when you've got it to the point that you are willing to let people play with it, you'll consider hosting it on RiftUI?
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us
    be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
    Cairenn, Co-Founder
    and Administrator, RiftUI

+ Reply to Thread