Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RIFT UI Add-On Policy

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default RIFT UI Add-On Policy

RIFT™ User Interface Add-On Policy

Trion Worlds, Inc. (“Trion”) has created this policy to formalize the development and distribution of RIFT™ user interface add-ons created by members of the player community (referred to hereafter as "Add-Ons"). The purpose of this policy is to ensure the integrity of RIFT and to continue promoting an enjoyable gaming environment for our players. Failure to abide by the policy may result in measures up to and including formal legal action.
    1. All Add-Ons must abide by the RIFT End User License Agreement and Trion’s Terms of Use.
    2. All Add-Ons, including all versions thereof and all features therein, must be distributed free of charge. Further, Developers may not charge money, or any other form of compensation, for services related to the Add-On.
    3. Addons may not include advertisements of any kind, including in-game requests for donations, unless expressly permitted by Trion.
    4. Add-Ons must not contain offensive or objectionable material, and must comply with the ESRB ‘T’ rating (and similar ratings from other ratings boards around the world) for RIFT.
    5. All Add-On code must be completely visible, not hidden or obfuscated in any way, and freely accessible to and viewable by the general public.
    6. Add-Ons may not negatively impact RIFT, its shards or other players, including, without limitation, excessive use of the chat system, unnecessary loading from the hard disk, or causing slow frame rates.
    7. Trion reserves the right to disable any Add-On or Add-On functionality at its sole discretion.
    If you have any questions about this User Interface Add-On Policy and/or how it pertains to any Add-On that you have developed, please email us at addons@RIFTgame.com.
    Last edited by Elrar; 07-08-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Rift Chaser

Thumbs up

Sounds good to me! I wouldn't have thought to include #3 but I approve.
    Last edited by Steejee; 07-08-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Rift Disciple

Sounds like you made a typo. There should be an "at" at point 7

Trion reserves the right to disable any Add-On or Add-On functionality "at" its sole discretion.

Sounds great to me cant wait to finally get Floating combat text!!!!
    Last edited by Brinath; 07-08-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Elrar View Post
    Add-Ons, including the Add-On website or distribution site, may not include advertisements of any kind, including in-game requests for donations, unless expressly permitted by Trion.
    That red part will prohibit a lot of websites from being able to carry Add-Ons. I don't really like the idea of not being able to get Add-Ons from Curse or ZAM.
    Last edited by Xyrd; 07-08-2011 at 10:21 AM.
    Xyrd <Phantom>
    Sunrest

Rift Disciple

I think its pretty crazy to not allow advertising on the websites that distribute them. Even if you just put that the websites can't advertise anything deemed harmful to Rift (aka advertising WoW like alot of the rift fansites do or gold sellers etc.).
    Last edited by Bawler; 07-08-2011 at 10:26 AM.

[B][CENTER][*]Add-Ons, including the Add-On website or distribution site, may not include advertisements of any kind, including in-game requests for donations, unless expressly permitted by Trion.
    [*]Add-Ons must not contain offensive or objectionable material, and must comply with the ESRB T rating (and similar ratings from other ratings boards around the world) for RIFT.
    Hmm...so if I want to host an add-on on my guild site, and it has banner advertising, that's a no-no? (seriuos question)

And there's the ERP death knell....no nudie mods for you guys. HA! (not so serious statement)
    In the dusts of hell Lurked the blackest of hates, For he who eats fear awaits you
    RIFT Mantra: Exploit Now and Exploit Often, You wont be punished!!

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Draegan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xyrd View Post
    That red part will prohibit a lot of websites from being able to carry Add-Ons. I don't really like the idea of not being able to get Add-Ons from Curse or ZAM.
    I would guess they get special permission. That sentence doesn't make since to me. I can understand no ads or donation buttons in the addons themselves, but the website you get them from? Sounds silly.

Daily News for Rift: Planes of Telara| Follow us on Twitter | Rift Junkies Forum
    Laugh at our Webcomic Series
    Read the Patch Notes | Check out our Guides
    Stay Informed: Dev Tracker | Register for our Guild Database
    Rift Junkies is an Official Fansite of Rift: Planes of Telara

Checking into it, email is already away. I'm hoping that they mean in-game only, but not going to presume anything. I can fully understand not allowing advertising in-game and support that idea completely. Not allowing out-of-game advertising on distribution sites, or requests from addon authors for donations (note, donation, not pay), however, would be a completely different story. If the intention is to apply the wording to in-game only, then it is poorly worded and I hope they will consider rewording it.

We'll see.
    Last edited by Cairenn; 07-08-2011 at 11:30 AM.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us
    be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And well change the world."
    Cairenn, Co-Founder
    and Administrator, RiftUI

Quote Originally Posted by Xyrd View Post
    Your missing the part about "unless expressly permitted by Trion". If they want to they just need to get permission is the way I read it.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    It is difficult to argue with a whole generation of self entitled petulant children with a battle cry taken from Veruca Salt.

10.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #10

All,

It appears a version did not get in my hands that improved the specifics of point 3, apologies for the confusion it has caused. The OP has been updated to reflect the following:

3. Addons may not include advertisements of any kind, including in-game requests for donations, unless expressly permitted by Trion.

Rift Disciple

All,

It appears a version did not get in my hands that improved the specifics of point 3, apologies for the confusion it has caused. The OP has been updated to reflect the following:

Ty for the update!

On one of the points:

"for services related to the Add-On."

So, I was hoping to abide by the expected rules by not charging money for AddOns I create. The way I was hoping to do things was have a service (that is already getting attention) that allows me to have people request an specific AddOn be made (AddOns by commision), and when it's made the person who requested it throws say $10 my way, and the AddOn becomes available to the public for free, unobfuscated, and again, free.

It's more of a way to support people with AddOn development. If you want to know an actual figure, the Bagnon AddOn on curse has reported 9,500,000 downloads - and has had $428 (exactly) donated to the cause over a few years (I believe). I'm sure for a couple hundred bucks over a couple years no one will be stepping on anyones toes.

EDIT: And since I'm working on some 'for commision' addons, and have been recently, a fast response would be appreciated.
    Last edited by hp94; 07-08-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hp94 View Post
    On one of the points:

"for services related to the Add-On."

So, I was hoping to abide by the expected rules by not charging money for AddOns I create. The way I was hoping to do things was have a service (that is already getting attention) that allows me to have people request an specific AddOn be made (AddOns by commision), and when it's made the person who requested it throws say $10 my way, and the AddOn becomes available to the public for free, unobfuscated, and again, free.

It's more of a way to support people with AddOn development. If you want to know an actual figure, the Bagnon AddOn on curse has reported 9,500,000 downloads - and has had $428 (exactly) donated to the cause over a few years (I believe). I'm sure for a couple hundred bucks over a couple years no one will be stepping on anyones toes.

EDIT: And since I'm working on some 'for commision' addons, and have been recently, a fast response would be appreciated.

to me being paid directly *TO* develop an addon by a singular entity, but not paid *for* the addon seems totally fair like your case suggests.

I mean if I REALLY wanted an addon to be exist, I should be able to commission someone to create it for me if the end product is free of charge, no?

That seems fair to me.

The part you quoted (to me) sounds more like having to pay for updates, or say, a gathering node viewer making you pay for the gathering node information, but the addon is free; or otherwise some type of external fee for enhancing the usage.

I did a bunch of things and a bunch of stuff; now I'm just a casual player.

I think the main point of the "services related to the addons" thing is to avoid things like "oh, our addon is free, but you have to subscribe to this paid service to get the data files it works with".

But honestly...

There's probably more risk of people playing silly buggers and claiming it's commissioned work when they're really paying for the addon or a subscription service, than there is marketplace for commercial addons that are paying enough money for anyone to bother.

There's two real cases to consider.

One is the case where you're talking about really paying the going rates for a real consultant. In which case you are CRAZY. The other is the case where it's pocket change or beer money, at which point, I don't think the money matters much.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Thank you for the clarification of that point, Elrar.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us
    be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And well change the world."
    Cairenn, Co-Founder
    and Administrator, RiftUI

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast