Closed Thread
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Changelog Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ZorbaTHut View Post
    Technically, Begin is the latest event we fire that indicates the render is about to begin. If you want something to happen before render, it should happen during Begin. There may be cases where we can fire things between Begin and End but they should be rare and should probably be fixed too.
    Leading to the question: What sorts of things would it make sense to process on System.Update.End, then? It's too late to affect the frame, and you'll have a .Begin before the next frame anyway... Interactions with vsync maybe?
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

2.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #257
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Leading to the question: What sorts of things would it make sense to process on System.Update.End, then? It's too late to affect the frame, and you'll have a .Begin before the next frame anyway... Interactions with vsync maybe?
    I'm honestly not sure, it just seemed like the kind of thing someone might someday want.

In my mind, a single iteration of the game loop looks like this:

Event.System.Update.End
    EventA
    EventB
    EventC
    Event.System.Update.Begin

Update.End doesn't seem particularly useful, as there have been no state changes at this point so there is nothing to do.

However it's possible, depending on how the addon system works, that processing that is carried out in <Update.Begin> may have a bigger impact on frame rates. If the game has completed all of it's processing for the frame, and is waiting on us before it can render the display, our processing time will be added directly to the time to render a frame; whereas if we'd done a lot of processing earlier in the loop, the game may have had more opportunity to do other things in parallel.

Of course it's also entirely possible that the game completely updates it's state, and then the addon system fires off all of it's events in one massive salvo, and where we do our processing is completely irrelevant.

Its really hard to second guess how these things work. The tack I've taken is to try to do all of my processing in response to events as they happen, and not to leave it until Update.Begin to do the bulk of the work. Whether there is any value in this approach I don't know.

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

Rift Master

What changes are coming in 1.8?

I'm just waiting until the functionality opens up a lot more before I start bashing away at my own addons. I hate working in limited environments and I've waited a year now.
    A remnant of special olympics world first hammerknell - 27th July 2011 - Best raid ever to be opened. I was a mighty warrior tank. Had many friends and was appreciated in the community.

Looking back at RIFT is bittersweet. Ah damn.

The changes on the PTS now are what is coming in 1.8.

The biggest things from the top of my head are tracking the coordinates of units, messaging between players, and server storage. I'm sure there is loads more, but those are the ones I've been playing with.

Gadgets: Unit Frames and Other Stuff for RIFT

6.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #261
    Rift Team

PTS changelog:

NEW FEATURES:

* Addon-style @ specifiers can now be used in macros when the addon system is not running.
    * Added Command.Unit.Menu().
    * itemStack and itemType members have been added to Inspect.Auction.Detail().

BREAKING CHANGES:

* It is no longer possible to send a Message or access the Storage of a player standing near you unless they are available within in the Unit system (or have some other property to allow this.)

SORT OF BREAKING CHANGES:

* Command.Mail.Take() will now generate errors when attempting to take a nonexistent item or an item attached to a mail with a pending COD.

BUGFIXES:

* Inspect.Storage.Used() will now update properly in realtime.
    * Storage queues are now respected, both clientside and serverside.
    * Calling Command.Message.Reject() before calling Command.Message.Accept() will no longer result in unintentionally accepting messages.
    * Inspect.Message.Accept.Check() will now properly accept wildcards.
    * Callbacks will no longer be dropped in extremely high-load situations.
    * Map locations will now be more consistently accessible.
    * Guild Storage is now available again.
    * Fixed documentation for Inspect.Currency.List().
    * Inspect.Unit.Lookup() will no longer crash on invalid input.
    * The game will no longer generate Event.Unit.Detail.Blocked spam after leaving a party.
    * Utility.Item.Slot.Parse()'s parameter checking and documentation have been fixed.
    * Cyril and others will no longer generate unnecessary Event.*.Coord spam.

Note: There are currently no known bugs in the Message or Storage APIs. If you discover one, please report it ASAP.

DIFF:

Code:
    Commands:
    	Command.Unit.Menu

BREAKING CHANGES:

* It is no longer possible to send a Message or access the Storage of a player standing near you unless they are available within in the Unit system (or have some other property to allow this.)
    A couple of questions:

1. What about Message.Broadcast('say')?
    2. If the mouse flickers over someone, and I try to send them a message, can the message reach them because they were a mouseover target?
    3. Can I reply to messages from someone who isn't in my unit system as such?

The use case is RP addons: If I mouseover someone, ideally I'd be able to send them a query and get a response to the query.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Plane Touched

* itemStack and itemType members have been added to Inspect.Auction.Detail().
    Thank you, Zorba

Edit: Command.Unit.Menu is a great addition for unit frames addons. Love how it positions under the cursor, wish Command.Tooltip did the same :P
    Last edited by Baanano; 04-04-2012 at 03:31 PM.

9.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #264
    Rift Team

A couple of questions:

1. What about Message.Broadcast('say')?
    Totally fine, broadcasting doesn't have the same limitations.

2. If the mouse flickers over someone, and I try to send them a message, can the message reach them because they were a mouseover target?
    Yep, that's fine as well.

3. Can I reply to messages from someone who isn't in my unit system as such?
    Yes. You can respond to anyone you've seen a message from within your current session. You can also always send messages to guildmembers.

* Guild Storage is now available again.
    Noticed the guild storage was empty today.
    Was that part of the bugfix or is it possible the guild storage is not persisted correctly between patches?

11.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #266
    Rift Team

PTS changelog:

NONBREAKING CHANGES:

* Addon messages are no longer restricted by faction.

BUGFIXES:

* os.date() will no longer crash the client if given an invalid parameter.

12.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #267
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Imhothar View Post
    Noticed the guild storage was empty today.
    Was that part of the bugfix or is it possible the guild storage is not persisted correctly between patches?
    The latter, I'm afraid Fix incoming, thanks for letting me know!

PTS changelog:

NONBREAKING CHANGES:

How about Storage? :P

14.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #269
    Rift Team

How about Storage? :P
    I don't think those ever were restricted by faction. I'll doublecheck, though.

Does that include yell and say Broadcasts or only Send?

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast