+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: RFI on what we have

Shadowlander

Default RFI on what we have

I have been playing with the API available to use and have a few questions I hope can be answered easily. Since looking at buffs is all we can do... that is what i'm doing..

1) Is there a way to get the buff Description and Rank as seen when mouse over on the standard UI buffs?

2) Is there a way to get the Rift resource name of the buff icon from the info we have, and can we use the Texture component to show it?

3) what is the file format for a Texture so we can make our own..

Shadowlander

And..

4) what unit strings are valid besides "player" and "player.target"? I tryed "focus" and "player.focus" with no success to see if the buffs of my /focus target where available...

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #3
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Lodur View Post
    1) Is there a way to get the buff Description and Rank as seen when mouse over on the standard UI buffs?

2) Is there a way to get the Rift resource name of the buff icon from the info we have, and can we use the Texture component to show it?
    Not yet.

Although once we do expose the buff icon name, Texture will be the right way to display it.

3) what is the file format for a Texture so we can make our own..
    We officially support .jpg, and unofficially support .tga and .dds. We'll be adding .png support.

4) what unit strings are valid besides "player" and "player.target"? I tryed "focus" and "player.focus" with no success to see if the buffs of my /focus target where available...
    Well, there's player.target.target, and, uh, player.target.target.target. And so forth. That's about it right now though.

More unit strings, along with better documentation for them, will be showing up in a future patch.

Shadowlander

Thanks for the quick reply.. Here is another one.

5) The rune and ability fields of the buff structure look to be mutually exclusive. Are there any other fields that are mutually exclusive with these two?

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #5
    Rift Team

Thanks for the quick reply.. Here is another one.

5) The rune and ability fields of the buff structure look to be mutually exclusive. Are there any other fields that are mutually exclusive with these two?
    Not at this time.

Do note that the structure is still very much under development. We hope to limit addon breakage between game versions, but right now, I won't hesitate to change things I think are a mistake. I already have a few tweaks planned to that particular table.

Quote Originally Posted by ZorbaTHut View Post
    Not yet.
    We officially support .jpg, and unofficially support .tga and .dds. We'll be adding .png support.
    @ZorbaTHut

Any tips on the path? I've been trying every variation I can think of with no luck.

Is it relative to the game folder, addon folder, or a full path?

Thanks
    Last edited by Priche; 06-09-2011 at 02:57 PM.

7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #7
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Priche View Post
    @ZorbaTHut

Any tips on the path? I've been trying every variation I can think of with no luck.

Is it relative to the game folder, addon folder, or a full path?

Thanks
    Addon folder. If you have an addon with the identifier MiniAddon, with an image "pretty.jpg", then you'd do:

myTextureFrame:SetTexture("MiniAddon", "pretty.jpg")

We'll hopefully have an example for this in a patch or two.

Addon folder. If you have an addon with the identifier MiniAddon, with an image "pretty.jpg", then you'd do:

myTextureFrame:SetTexture("MiniAddon", "pretty.jpg")

We'll hopefully have an example for this in a patch or two.
    Awesome! In your example, please account for sub folders, like putting your images and sound files into a "Media" folder within "MyAddon".

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Lorandii View Post
    Awesome! In your example, please account for sub folders, like putting your images and sound files into a "Media" folder within "MyAddon".
    Since it's relative to the folder, I imagine it would be something like:

myTextureFrame:SetTexture("MyAddon\Media", "genericfile.jpg")

Code:
    myTextureFrame:SetTexture("MyAddon", "Media/genericfile.jpg")
    Works fine.

Textures are not as useful as they could be at the moment though; From what I can tell there is no way to turn on clipping or resize the texture. Fine for icons, but not so cool if you just want to add texture to a small timer bar or window background

Shadowlander

6) NPC Vs Player

Is what the high bit in the caster ID tells us?
    Is this going to be a reliable way to tell player from NPC casters of buffs?

Code:
    highnib = bit.band(tonumber(string.sub(buff.caster,1,1), 16), 0x08)

12.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #12
    Rift Team

6) NPC Vs Player

Is what the high bit in the caster ID tells us?
    Is this going to be a reliable way to tell player from NPC casters of buffs?

Code:
    highnib = bit.band(tonumber(string.sub(buff.caster,1,1), 16), 0x08)
    It's possible this works, but if so, it's not intended and may stop working without notice.

Shadowlander

Not yet.

Although once we do expose the buff icon name, Texture will be the right way to display it.

Well, there's player.target.target, and, uh, player.target.target.target. And so forth. That's about it right now though.

More unit strings, along with better documentation for them, will be showing up in a future patch.
    Thanks for the icon resource info on PTS now...

+ Reply to Thread