+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Addons and us, the good and that bad.

Soulwalker

Default Addons and us, the good and that bad.

Lets be brutally honest with ourselves. If the idea of expanding, adding on to, or improving anything as supplied didn't exist we would be in a different place than we are now. Potentially running DOS, using old versions of windows, playing some outdated, mundane game that no one ever improved up.

Self developed addons are not a bad thing.

Things addons should do:

1.) Improve your personal experience and how you play the game.
    2.) Change how information is presented in game.

Things that they should not do:
    1.) Automate anything. Ever. Never.
    2.) Define a way to measure other players.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I propose for your consideration the following addon description:

MailGetter

MailGetter adds a "get all" button to your mailbox window which collects all items and gold in your mailbox.

This clearly automates something, but I'm not seeing any downside to this feature, either as an addon or in-game.

On to the second point: What's wrong with defining a way, or ways, to measure other players? I can see problems with some ways people could misuse measurements, but so what? People can misuse chat, that doesn't mean it should be banned from the game.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post

On to the second point: What's wrong with defining a way, or ways, to measure other players? I can see problems with some ways people could misuse measurements, but so what? People can misuse chat, that doesn't mean it should be banned from the game.
    This is really the important point here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Soulwalker

I'm against measures for a few reasons. The primary one is people do not know how to use them effectively.

I hate to use wow as an example but anytime you put a gearscore/dps requirement you create an artificial boundary that may or may not be accurate at all. It can't be trusted as any measure. In wow I routinely had to talk my way into raids I was undergeared for yet I consistently came out as top DPS with less deaths, and paying more attention to mechanics by taking less damage from avoidable things.

Measures should only ever be used to measure yourself, not someone else in this case, only truly bad players are obvious on measures. In which case, elevated them, don't denigrate them.

*edit*
    I'll redact my point a touch on the automation.

Non-game breaking things, things which don't affect other players are fine to automate. My point there was an over-generalization.
    Last edited by Perezno; 06-08-2011 at 01:28 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Perezno View Post
    I'm against measures for a few reasons. The primary one is people do not know how to use them effectively.
    So what?

You are perhaps aware that people can stick flat-head screwdrivers into power outlets. Do you think we should completely ban all access to flat-head screwdrivers?

I hate to use wow as an example but anytime you put a gearscore/dps requirement you create an artificial boundary that may or may not be accurate at all. It can't be trusted as any measure.
    But what if the measurement is accurate?

In wow I routinely had to talk my way into raids I was undergeared for yet I consistently came out as top DPS with less deaths, and paying more attention to mechanics by taking less damage from avoidable things.
    So... you talked your way into them, things went well. No problem.

Measures should only ever be used to measure yourself, not someone else in this case, only truly bad players are obvious on measures. In which case, elevated them, don't denigrate them.
    Again, why? What's wrong with measuring other people? If you want to say "people should not use measurements in certain ways", sure, fine by me. But why are you suggesting that absolutely everyone should be forcibly prevented from even having the option of using a valuable tool? "Someone will misuse it" doesn't sound like a very good argument against having the tool available.

I'll redact my point a touch on the automation.

Non-game breaking things, things which don't affect other players are fine to automate. My point there was an over-generalization.
    Well, don't worry about combat-affecting automation, I think Trion pretty much agrees with you, as do all the addon authors I know.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

+ Reply to Thread