+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Idea: Be able to inspect the addons players are using

Rift Disciple

Default Idea: Be able to inspect the addons players are using

Here's something I'd like to see in Rift: Be able to show the addons that another player is using, the same way you can inspect their gear. That way, if you see some guy doing crazy DPS in your group, you can inspect him and see whether he's using 50 addons (making him an ez mode 1-clicker beyond his skill level) or he's not using any addons (making him a super badass that's better than you'll ever be).

I'd rather not allow access to the files on my computer, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenevar View Post
    I'd rather not allow access to the files on my computer, thanks.
    Wait, What?
    Magical Fairy Princess DPS
    Element Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon_King View Post
    Wait, What?
    Add ons will be downloaded to your computer. The only way to show them is to go through those fiels and display them

Remember the flipside: players can see if you don't have the addons, too.

Life isn't always as peachy as it seems...

I wouldn't entirely mind an AddonsActive(player) that just returned a number, so you could use it for things like a duel with no addons for either party.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by xDuffvy View Post
    Add ons will be downloaded to your computer. The only way to show them is to go through those fiels and display them
    Well, it sounded like he said the lua files would be downloaded to your system upon inspection.
    Instead of, ya know pulling down strings sent by the server referencing the player's client.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne View Post
    Remember the flipside: players can see if you don't have the addons, too.

Life isn't always as peachy as it seems...
    It is rather easy to consolidate those addons into a single addon, making that 50 addon count drop to 1.
    Last edited by Lemon_King; 06-07-2011 at 05:43 PM.
    Magical Fairy Princess DPS
    Element Zero

What does it matter if some guy is playing easy mode one button? If he was not doing decent dps he'd get crapped on and I guess if he was using a tool to do top dps he'd get crapped on too. Some people really need to find out what is worth sweating and what's not worth sweating. Morons like the op are a huge example of why this genre of game is turning to ****.
    FYI: Your game experience is not the same as everyone else's, especially mine, stop trying to make the game all about you, and think about the bigger picture.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I wouldn't entirely mind an AddonsActive(player) that just returned a number, so you could use it for things like a duel with no addons for either party.
    No, Seebs, let us see all the addons the other players have by name and function. Then display that info just like those arena addons. So we can also monitor what they're processing and doing with them. ;)

This will be handy for rogues to pick easy targets, too (they'll have a field day).

Plane Touched

Why does it matter what or how many addons another person is using? If they're doing great DPS ask them how they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ultrviolet View Post
    Here's something I'd like to see in Rift: Be able to show the addons that another player is using, the same way you can inspect their gear. That way, if you see some guy doing crazy DPS in your group, you can inspect him and see whether he's using 50 addons (making him an ez mode 1-clicker beyond his skill level) or he's not using any addons (making him a super badass that's better than you'll ever be).
    I rather enjoyed this post. At first glance, it can almost be taken seriously. Then I read the part in ().
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Plane Touched

To the OP:

Well... The mechanism you want it's a bit more complex because it requires the client to send to the server a list with somekind of "Addon Identification" for all active Addons that Client is loading...

...Which in turn force each "ID" to be unique and hard to forge.

Any kind of addon counter it's like... I don't know... Pointless? The same game experience can be achieved by using a SuperAddon with multiple options (1 single active addon) or by manually collecting a miriad of small specialized ones (In fact, Addon Collections or "compactation" is quite popular on games supporting them). Specially when not all Addons are gameplay disruptive... Just specific ones.

Not saying it haven't been done all around in the Game Industry (Things like "unmodified" tags on clients that get certain achievements are well known, or "safe" and "unsafe" labels regarding Addons that imply a process of identification and validation).

But I think is still too soon for things like that, lets see how "disruptive" the Addon API is 1st.
    Last edited by Khumoth; 06-08-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khumoth View Post
    To the OP:

Well... The mechanism you want it's a bit more complex because it requires the client to send to the server a list with somekind of "Addon Identification" for all active Addons that Client is loading...

...Which in turn force each "ID" to be unique and hard to forge.

Any kind of addon counter it's like... I don't know... Pointless? The same game experience can be achieved by using a SuperAddon with multiple options (1 single active addon) or by manually collecting a miriad of small specialized ones (In fact, Addon Collections or "compactation" is quite popular on games supporting them). Specially when not all Addons are gameplay disruptive... Just specific ones.

Not saying it haven't been done all around in the Game Industry (Things like "unmodified" tags on clients that get certain achievements are well known, or "safe" and "unsafe" labels regarding Addons that imply a process of identification and validation).

But I think is still too soon for things like that, lets see how "disruptive" the Addon API is 1st.
    That was the sound of the OP's post going WAY over your head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Rigo8582 View Post
    Why does it matter what or how many addons another person is using? If they're doing great DPS ask them how they do it.

well in a perfect world perhaps, in the real world, people wont even be able to show their dps, cause idiot leaders will just kick them out of group beforehand, when they dont have the adons the leader wants them to have ...

Quote Originally Posted by xDuffvy View Post
    Not necessarily. Every addon has to be registered with the game. I'd presume the Identifier = "name" .toc entity provides that for the game internally. I'd be shocked if that information wasn't already available to the game without a secondary scan (the game itself already "goes through your files" by loading every .toc and executing and parsing the statements in it on start and reload).
    Please, for all that is worthy and the love of Odin, it's not "LUA" or "LuA", it's "Lua". Like the moon. In Portuguese.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast