+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Idea: Be able to inspect the addons players are using

Rift Disciple

Hrm I didn't expect this to be controversial. I just thought it was a reasonable compromise between the pro-addon and anti-addon crowds that wouldn't hurt either side. (I'm in the Pro-Addon, but anti-JudgeSkillByGearscore camp, by the way.) Some responses:

I guess I should have posted in the PTS forum - what I meant was that only the Rift client itself be able to see the names of another player's addons - not that there would be an API call to get the list of addons from another player. (Though I suppose one could argue that if the client can see it, the API should have access to it.) I was just thinking of another menu like "inspect" when you right-click on a targeted player, or you could even put the addons in the current inspect window, since it looks like that whole pane on the left side is empty.

I just intended that it display the names of the addons (the "Identifier" from RiftAddon.toc I guess). I can't see where it would need any additional file access beyond what the Rift client already has, and I can't see where some transparency would be bad for anyone.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenevar View Post
    I'd rather not allow access to the files on my computer, thanks.
    Poor strawman.

Quote Originally Posted by ultrviolet View Post
    Here's something I'd like to see in Rift: Be able to show the addons that another player is using, the same way you can inspect their gear. That way, if you see some guy doing crazy DPS in your group, you can inspect him and see whether he's using 50 addons (making him an ez mode 1-clicker beyond his skill level) or he's not using any addons (making him a super badass that's better than you'll ever be).
    Perhaps a compromise would be for someone to develop an AddOn that will communicate between users the AddOns used by that user.

In other words, let's say I develop an AddOn called "AOInspector". My AddOn would keep a list of other AddOns I run on my system and broadcast them out to any other user running AOInspector upon request. As an example usage, I target ultrviolet and type "/aoi" to trigger AOInspector. If ultrviolet also runs AOInspector, I'll be greeted with a list of all AddOns that ultrviolet uses. Otherwise, I'll get a message that the user isn't running AOInspector. All of this communication would be done using the private AddOn channel.

Basically, by running AOInspector, I am allowing anyone to have a look at my AddOns, so like-minded people can keep track of each other's AddOn usage. =)
    (remember, this is a hypothetical AddOn I am discussing, in case someone gets curious)
    Last edited by Aieny; 06-08-2011 at 07:19 AM.
    a community-oriented site for all things Rift

There may be [what are to me] valid reasons why someone doesn't want others to know what addons they may or may not be using, beyond what has been suggested thus far. For example, in my own case: I run an interface site. As such, I make sure I do not let people know what addons I am using. Can't you just envision the problems that knowledge could create? Cries of favouritism, complaints of 'why don't you use [x] addon', etc. Sure, there may not be that many of us that are in that exact position, but there could be other similar reasons why people don't want others knowing what addons they use.
    Last edited by Cairenn; 06-08-2011 at 06:39 AM. Reason: clarification
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us
    be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
    Cairenn, Co-Founder
    and Administrator, RiftUI

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos View Post
    well in a perfect world perhaps, in the real world, people wont even be able to show their dps, cause idiot leaders will just kick them out of group beforehand, when they dont have the adons the leader wants them to have ...
    One could simply write an empty text file containing only the required information in order to be seen as the required add-on.
    Apologies for my poor english, my french is far better, though ;)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2