+ Reply to Thread

Thread: API / Features Suggestion Thread

Post API / Features Suggestion Thread

Making this since we have no real thread on suggested APIs or other things like handling how addon saved data is handled.
    If we do have one. Oops.

So I'll toss out some suggestions to get started.
    Flash File support: animation events only - Much like textures can be loaded and the animation changed as needed.
    SQL Support - As suggested in this thread: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...sqlite-support
    Music / Audio File Control (Start, Pause, Stop, Fade In/Out) - Few people in another MMO liked having control over this so I'm saying it for them
    PNG, TGA & DDS Texture Support - Doesn't hurt to have options
    Last edited by Lemon_King; 06-07-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    Magical Fairy Princess DPS
    Element Zero

DDS and TGA are already supported; PNG isn't though. I'd like to see that added in as well as the ability to resize loaded textures (all I see is the ability to resize the frame to the texture size, but not resize the texture itself).

Going to drop another one in.
    An API for sending addon only messages to other players with a twist.

The ability to ignore addon messages from some people, this would have to be in the core UI.
    Or only accept messages based on some conditions:
    • Party or Raid Only
    • Guild only
    • Friends Only
    • Disable All Addon Messages
    Last edited by Lemon_King; 06-07-2011 at 05:12 PM.
    Magical Fairy Princess DPS
    Element Zero

I would like to see guild bank syncing. For WoW, I (with a major rewrite from Starinnia) wrote LibGuildBankComm-1.0, but that sort of functionality should be built into the main UI, rather than forcing users to get an addon to keep the guild bank in sync. I have no issue with multiple addons changing the look or behavior of the guild bank, but I do have an issue with the need for my creation.

I haven't looked at Rift's combat log code, if it is available, but two things bugged me about Warcraft's:
    1. The PARTY_KILL event only worked in parties; in a raid, you had no way to tell who killed what unless one person in each group had an addon.
    2. Why didn't the resurrection callback tell you who the target was? LibResComm-1.0 and a plethora of res monitor addons were created. Unnecessarily, if the combat log was better thought out.
    I don't know the details, so you would have to talk to the addon gurus on wowace.com, but they say library files (chunks of small, reusable code that multiple addons could use rather than duplicate the code) were a hack job because Blizzard didn't design the API with them in mind. Find out what made libraries a hack workaround, and improve. Rift developers seem to want to improve on what's gone before, and this would be a great start.

Hmm, about libraries, could the hack be something to do with how they are loaded, to make certain the latest version was the only one in memory?
    Last edited by Lorandii; 06-08-2011 at 04:36 AM.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

One thing I've requested: Server-side storage of information addons wish to "publish", to be used for things like a flagRSP addon. So, I do:

ServerStash("rp_description", "Merisioux's life has been one of tragedies which she has overcome...")

and then if you do

ServerStashCheck("Merisioux", "rp_description")

you get back the 5k wall of text WITHOUT any traffic to or from my client.

This would MASSIVELY reduce the network load of stuff like RP addons.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

How about instead of soley create context (or added to create context), we get:

CreateTooltip(title, description, isPermanent (Means it doesn't disappear on the next appearing tooltip, it has an "X" in the corner to close the frame))

Or something like that, for a few different things, not just tooltips.

is it possible to read(and even writ) a text file with a current api?
    If not i would really like to be able to do that.
    i can see that being able to read/write anywhere on the disk would be bad, but if there is a restriction, let s say that the addon is only able to read/write files in its install directory, that would make it a reasonable i think

please, i need it

Quote Originally Posted by Mabs View Post
    is it possible to read(and even writ) a text file with a current api?
    If not i would really like to be able to do that.
    i can see that being able to read/write anywhere on the disk would be bad, but if there is a restriction, let s say that the addon is only able to read/write files in its install directory, that would make it a reasonable i think

please, i need it
    or is it possible to execute a lua file direclty from the addon ? i mean something else than the RunOnStartup that is in the toc file

i need that to be able to load some data that will change over time (modified by another software)

+ Reply to Thread