Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Example addons

Soulwalker

You might hate me, but I'm actually looking forward to a healing assistance addon. Here's why. I do make my own macros to help with skills, but I'm not like many people that press keyboard buttons to activate skills. I tend to mouseclick my hotbar because I can better see what I'm doing. I'm sure keyboard is easier for some people and it probably works great. It's just hard for me. I have some nice healing macro's set up for when I do play my healer, but its not intuitive for me to use the keyboard for skills much. So I'd rather have an addon to help with that if it makes me a better healer. It may also be more enjoyable and less frustrating. I don't think it's lazy of me. I'd like to be good at a job and not be forced to play a chloromancer because I'm struggling to micro manage just because someone else thinks it's taboo. It's true some people may use addons for the wrong reasons. Addons are there to help people, thats what they are intended for. I don't think the use of addons is a good judge of a person's potential. If they are using an addon to compensate and then believe they are all that, then maybe they have a problem. Hats off to people that don't need them. I can't think of any other addon that I'd need really. I'm sure some people would tell me to reroll my healer if I can't play a certain way, but I've been doing great in spite of the difficulty. I don't suck at healing, but an addon for it would make it more enjoyable for me. That's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Ferae; 10-01-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Soulwalker

As far as addons go, I am in the same boat as Xdcc321. I'm ALL for custom UIs, I LOVE making my game look the way I want it. However, AddOns like DBM and Gearscore (just to name two of the many) just destroy the community. Many times, raiding in WoW, has one person messed up, and been yelled at, "How the hell can you #!$@ that up? IT FLASHES RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR SCREEN" by a raid member, or even sometimes the raidleader himself. I'm sure you might've found yourself thinking that too when something that seems exceptionally obvious to you (using DBM, which will tell you) is overlooked or poorly executed by a fellow raider. AddOns that incite this type of gameplay are just awful. As for Gearscore, I'm sure you all remember the "6k GS or gfo" spams in trade. It just makes people elitist.

Community addons, like Auctioneer, incite laziness as well, but in an acceptable manner, as it all it does is make selling things less of a hassle. These are good mods.

The introduction of an AddOn system for Rift makes me very excited, but at the same time very worried. I hope it doesn't destroy the player base like in WoW where you would more often than not group with an immature 10 year old thinking he was better than everyone else because he could pull X dps.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you, and others addons can be useful, and fun customizations, but we are opening a door, lets just hope RIFT devs, can control it.

I can't wait for the Killing Blow AddOn! I hope there are alot of different ones with funny or cool sounds, or perhaps some you can even integrate yourself... although I will leave that alone, not much of a techie.....
    Naetharion-Warrior of Wolfsbane
    "Basically when you're a Warrior you just look at everybody like they're a piece of Sh*t."-Gearbreaker
    Lambpasta-Mage of Wolfsbane
    "Go Squirrel Crazy!"

Soulwalker

Just an FYI, when I do /dump detail from the dev tools, it crashes Rift. Every time. When I look at the resulting log.txt, it's 22mb in size, and full of 'global __index' over and over.

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #125
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by GnomeTank View Post
    Just an FYI, when I do /dump detail from the dev tools, it crashes Rift. Every time. When I look at the resulting log.txt, it's 22mb in size, and full of 'global __index' over and over.
    Are you running any other addons? It's entirely possible that other addons will interfere in one way or another - that error sounds like someone's hooking a metatable __index entry.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by ZorbaTHut View Post
    Are you running any other addons? It's entirely possible that other addons will interfere in one way or another - that error sounds like someone's hooking a metatable __index entry.
    Hmm, good call. let me disable SimpleMeters and try again. If it's still doing it, I'll let you know.

e: Yep, that was it. Thanks Zorba :P
    Last edited by GnomeTank; 10-24-2011 at 06:53 PM.

/dump function doesn't support recursion. I've to disable my addon as well to dump the API :/

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #128
    Rift Team

Updated Trion Development Tools.

* Add support for dumping documentation of new frame types.
    * Add /framecap to Trion Development Tools, which allows you to cap your framerate and more easily detect single-frame graphics issues.

Rift Disciple

Is there or will there be a new, clean version of "BuffBars" to have a look at?
    The "old" versions are not using any buff update events or sth like that.
    I'd appreciate that!
    There is no rogue dev. Prove me wrong.

10.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #130
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Noerkel View Post
    Is there or will there be a new, clean version of "BuffBars" to have a look at?
    The "old" versions are not using any buff update events or sth like that.
    I'd appreciate that!
    That's a good idea. I'll add it to my TODO, BuffBars really does need a redesign to show current best practices.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ZorbaTHut View Post
    That's a good idea. I'll add it to my TODO, BuffBars really does need a redesign to show current best practices.
    Thank you!

Telaran

addons fall in 3 categories Quality of Life addons = Addons have the potential to do great things for the game and for the community. With the ability to customize UI, reskin certain elements of the UI that may be unattractive, add a necessary functionality to parts of the game that could use improving, and make various other changes to the more trivial aspects of the game, players will be able to customize their Rift experience in the way they works best for them. Indeed, granting players this ability is something that is ultimately good for the game and encourages players to keep playing.
    A great example of an addon with this sort of functionality improvement would be a tool to better organize and utilize Riftís auction house. Most anyone who has ever spent time in WoW will recall the addon Auctioneer, which provided to the game some very clever, intuitive tools to make using the in-game auction house much faster and easier. -
    = Middle Ground addons - addons that fall into this category of middle ground are those that have the potential for positive effects, but begin to change the game in a way that some players feel goes too far. Some examples of middle ground addons would be things like Ďboss modsí, damage meters, threat meters, and raid frames. While a great number of players would love to see these kind of addons exist in Rift, a great number of players feel, conversely, that addons which help a player optimize their performance should have no place in the game. - The first of the examples above, boss mods, is probably what first comes to mind for most players when talking about addons that optimize personal performance. For anyone unfamiliar with what it is, exactly, that a boss mod addon does, it basically takes information that is already available in the game, in one form or another, and converts it into timers, warnings, and notifications that are more easily accessible, thereby making the mechanics of a raid or dungeon encounter easier to notice.

just plain ugly addons ;-MY TAKE ON IT = The first and last categories mentioned above really do not require much argument. Iíd bet that a majority of players would welcome the basic visual and functional enhancements of the quality of life addons just as much as they would hate to see another Gearscore or AVR. The middle ground, however, is where there becomes some room for argument.
    I will state plainly that I am in favor of addons, as they add that extra element to the game that really lets a player play the game the way they wish to play it, which will bring new players to the game and keep old players playing. My arguments and reasoning for my stance could easily fill an entire article, so for the sake of brevity I will talk solely about the boss mod argument, since that seems to be the most talked about of potential addons.
    Many proponents of addons will tell you that if you donít like boss mod addons, donít use them. Simple, right? I will concede, however, that an effective and useful boss mod will become the standard for any sort of serious raiding guild. The amount of information and control this type of addon gives to the player is too beneficial to be ignored. That is not to say that content will become impossible without such an addon, as I can say from my own personal experience that as long as you pay attention and understand an encounter, there is no reason you cannot be on the high end of the meters and perform well without the use of a boss mod.
    A boss mod would also go a long way toward making raid content more accessible for a less experienced or PUG player. I am not talking about the content being dumbed down to the point of being walk-over easy, but, rather, giving a less experienced player the tools they need in order to more easily understand a boss encounter. Without a convenient way to display timers and warnings, less experienced players are at a tremendous disadvantage compared to players who have seen a fight several times.
    HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB gpu1105 mem 1250 CORSAIR XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600 cas 7-8-7-20 2 sticks ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor overclocked3.9ghz ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 13 Limited Edition 92mm High Performance CPU Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by tristinshandy View Post
    I will talk solely about the boss mod argument, since that seems to be the most talked about of potential addons.
    There's no potential about it. King Boss Mods is a fully fleshed out boss mod already in existence.
    Rank 76 Guardian Mage

Rift Disciple

Hey Zorba!
    I just wanted to re-request a new version of ZBB

15.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #135
    Rift Team

Examples updated.

We've recently added several documentation hooks for the PTS. The new TrionDevelopmentTools_PTS.zip addon takes advantage of those, although that addon would crash on live servers. We'll remove the separate PTS version once 1.8 is released.

Trion Development Tools has also gained a layout inspector, which can be used to list the child hierarchy of any frame. It is extremely unfinished and will likely gain more functionality as I need it. This is part of the _PTS version, although it wouldn't be hard to merge it back into the current version if you have need of it on Live.

Finally, Zorba's Buff Bars has undergone a near-complete rewrite, taking advantage of the events and techniques that weren't available for its original version. It should now be substantially faster and will function as a much better example of best practices.
    Last edited by ZorbaTHut; 02-23-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast