Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Example addons

Soulwalker

anytime

Champion

For the love of God, tell me that sounds/music can be remapped.

I need a Soundtrack mod, or I'm going to go ****ing insane. ; ;

The Guitar Slayer says: are we doing this with or without the mask on?
    The Guitar Slayer says: ..that came out wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Cryolithic View Post
    I do play to have fun. Part of that fun for me is making a slick looking and slick working interface. I like to have all of the information available in a cluster around the center of the screen. I prefer a bar to a color clock (the current CD display). This isn't a crutch, it's preference.

Take your own advice, and stop relying on the crutch of a crappy layout to pretend that you're superior.

You don't like addons, don't use them. I'll be happy as a pig in sh!t with a nice bag manager so I don't have to waste *fun* time sorting my bank and bag so I can keep rune mats of similiar types together.
    To you and everyone else using customized UIs as examples, reread the guys post. He EXCLUDED custom UI's from his bad list. Geeze.
    "(besides UI changes)"
    Some people never cease to amuse me.

As far as addons go, I am in the same boat as Xdcc321. I'm ALL for custom UIs, I LOVE making my game look the way I want it. However, AddOns like DBM and Gearscore (just to name two of the many) just destroy the community. Many times, raiding in WoW, has one person messed up, and been yelled at, "How the hell can you #!$@ that up? IT FLASHES RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR SCREEN" by a raid member, or even sometimes the raidleader himself. I'm sure you might've found yourself thinking that too when something that seems exceptionally obvious to you (using DBM, which will tell you) is overlooked or poorly executed by a fellow raider. AddOns that incite this type of gameplay are just awful. As for Gearscore, I'm sure you all remember the "6k GS or gfo" spams in trade. It just makes people elitist.

Community addons, like Auctioneer, incite laziness as well, but in an acceptable manner, as it all it does is make selling things less of a hassle. These are good mods.

The introduction of an AddOn system for Rift makes me very excited, but at the same time very worried. I hope it doesn't destroy the player base like in WoW where you would more often than not group with an immature 10 year old thinking he was better than everyone else because he could pull X dps.
    Last edited by uhh186; 06-08-2011 at 06:20 PM.

Let's see where it takes us.

To arms, modders. To arms.

Telaran

Default I'm impressed!

The first four lines of the buff bars example conform to the documentation!

Not intended to be too snarky. Documentation--especially for a high-risk, low-priority, and in development feature--is rarely good; API docs are rarely good; auto-generated docs are never reliable; and a good example is almost always better than good documentation.

I looked over the API doc, which meakes it clear that you need to create a context before a frame, for any explanation of how to do that. And for any explanation of what value to pass for the parent of a top level context.

Fortunately, the exmaple is not constrained by documented values. We can infer that "Context" is the type to pass for a context and that no parent means to level. We might have guessed those before, but it's nice to be reminded that people writing useful code are more reliable than people writing text *about* code, especially since the people hosting Lua aren't themselves writing in it.

Any other good parts of the docs we should just ignore?

Quote Originally Posted by Xdcc321 View Post
    Play to have fun
    I do.

and stop relying on handicap crutches to play.
    Which is more fun, do you think?

1. Walking on a broken leg.
    2. Walking with the other leg, using crutches.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #52
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Xowl View Post
    Fortunately, the exmaple is not constrained by documented values. We can infer that "Context" is the type to pass for a context and that no parent means to level. We might have guessed those before, but it's nice to be reminded that people writing useful code are more reliable than people writing text *about* code, especially since the people hosting Lua aren't themselves writing in it.
    There was a bit of a SNAFU there - while the UI.CreateContext and UI.CreateFrame documentation does exist, there's a bug preventing it from being displayed normally. I had to copy/paste it in manually and I kind of flubbed one of the pastes.

UI.CreateContext takes a single parameter which is just a name, equivalent to UI.CreateFrame's name parameter. That's all. I'll probably modify the examples to not pass in "Context" as a name since that's moderately ambiguous.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Xdcc321 View Post
    No, trion said they were thinking about putting them in, but only if they could quality control them. That if they were to put them in, they would be added in as part of the game. Not opening it up to the community as what just happened. Either way, I think I'm done with this game. A game is supposed to be "Fun and entertaining" since it isn't for me, I'll go find somewhere else to spend my money. This is just the last in a long line of recent changes that IMO I think are just... meh.. Have fun playing your addon wonderland.
    Thanks! Will do!

Soulwalker

:SetTexture
    Sets the current texture used for this element.
    Texture:SetTexture(source, texture) -- string, string
    Parameters:
    source: The source of the resource. "Rift" will take the resource from Rift's internal data. Anything else will take the resource from the addon with that identifier.

Am I missing a directory resource for Rift's Internal data? If I wanted to access an internal image texture to be set into a Frame, where would I locate that information?

10.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #55
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by DemonOx View Post
    Am I missing a directory resource for Rift's Internal data? If I wanted to access an internal image texture to be set into a Frame, where would I locate that information?
    There isn't a way to locate that information yet. Keep an eye out for a future update, though, this is an obvious hole in the current API

Shadowlander

This game gets more and more like WoW everyday...nerfed dungeons, LFG, and now addons. I hope it works out, but it makes me sad that it will probably end up ruining the game for me. It seems people aren't able to play MMO's anymore unless they have an addon babysitter telling them what to do and when to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Akiendra View Post
    This game gets more and more like WoW everyday...nerfed dungeons, LFG, and now addons. I hope it works out, but it makes me sad that it will probably end up ruining the game for me. It seems people aren't able to play MMO's anymore unless they have an addon babysitter telling them what to do and when to do it.
    Maybe you should spread your sunshine to one of the half dozen threads in this very forum dedicated to such joy.

It would be nice if we could have a few threads dedicated to actually developing addons in the addon forum

Quote Originally Posted by Serin9X View Post
    It would be nice if we could have a few threads dedicated to actually developing addons in the addon forum
    Thanks for the Info Zorba, and I agree in regards to every potentially useful thread and resource being derailed by people complaining about addons as a whole. It is becoming incredibly disruptive and frustrating to have to sift through the flames and arguments that have nothing to do with the original topic. I only hope the mods will get this under control.

Faeblight * Progression Raiding * Family Friendly
    http://www.axiomguild.net
    TODQ[4/4] FT[2/4] EE[1/5]

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Akiendra View Post

Being told how to Play a game is like Communism. Addons allow open markets, a way of life, a freedom. Don't be a communist.

Quote Originally Posted by Serin9X View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigManShawn View Post
    I agree in regards to every potentially useful thread and resource being derailed by people complaining about addons as a whole. It is becoming incredibly disruptive and frustrating to have to sift through the flames and arguments that have nothing to do with the original topic. I only hope the mods will get this under control.
    I understand the desire to have conversations here on the Official forums, but I'd like to invite everyone to come make use of our forums (and in this particular case, specifically our Developer Discussions forums) as well. Given that we are dedicated solely to addons, you can be assured of a lot less addon haters on the site, and thus the ability to carry on a complete conversation regarding the development of addons without the threads getting derailed.

[edit]
    I'd also like to remind everyone about our Rift UI Dev irc channel as well. We've got 40-50 people in there at any given time right now, definitely starting to jump. Zorba is in there too.

Server: irc.freenod.net
    Channel: #RiftUIDev

irc://irc.freenode.net/RiftUIDev
    Last edited by Cairenn; 06-09-2011 at 04:10 PM.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us
    be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
    Cairenn, Co-Founder
    and Administrator, RiftUI

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast