+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Addon Development: Alpha

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default Addon Development: Alpha

Hi all,

As some of you have no doubt discovered, the initial implementation of our Addons API has recently been released on the Public Test Shard. We will be releasing more details, guidelines, and documentation for the intended usage of Addons in the coming days.

We remain committed to our policy that, when we do release the API to live shards, the API meets our expectations and is supported with the highest standards. Addons, Skins, and other modifications to the User Interface must not interfere with the quality and stability you have come to expect. To that end, we must also ensure that the API will not be abused and allow players to automate their play.

While we’ve provided a robust default UI we understand the desire to customize and make it your own. In the end, we want to deliver something of quality and continue to iterate this feature with you once it is live to give everyone the greatest chance to help this system evolve.

We have opened up this new forum section and invite developers to collaborate together and with us while we prepare this feature for release – thanks for your interest, and stay tuned!
    Last edited by Elrar; 06-03-2011 at 01:48 PM.

Sweet! Great news El! Any hints on the language?
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

... Reading between the lines, I imagine this announcement was not previously scheduled for today. As always, you guys hit the ground running.

Looking forward to see what you've got for us!
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Plane Touched

Should be fun seeing what people can dream up. Stay on your toes Trion, they're gonna try and slip some past ya though.

I wish I had the artistic talent to do some GUI mods.
    Most forum users are neckbeards with the uncanny ability to over dramatize anything in a way that would make a crooked politican blush.

i gotta say, when i first saw this the exact words that came out of my mouth were "nooo, ahhh"

i hope this is really handled well, ive been watching friends play WoW (yes, i did say the name) and they were telling me how certain addons were a "requirement" for raiding, like ones that tell you what bosses are going to do when

these types of things really ruin the game for me, and if they become so mainstream that im basically forced to get them, then that would just really suck

im excited for other addons that are fun/helpful, but really dont want this to turn into a tool for things like gearscore or that boss addon

i know you said that addons wont allow players to automate their play, and i hope this is stricter than it sounds

i have faith in trion, but not the playerbase

Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    i hope this is really handled well, ive been watching friends play WoW (yes, i did say the name) and they were telling me how certain addons were a "requirement" for raiding, like ones that tell you what bosses are going to do when

these types of things really ruin the game for me, and if they become so mainstream that im basically forced to get them, then that would just really suck
    Having actually played WoW, I can assure you the fears are groundless. By the time DBM was showing "Poison Nova - Get Away" I was usually already outside the radius.

The reality is, those addons aren't a requirement. Some people really like them, but they're always optional, and many people preferred to play without them.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

i think addons can be great or they can be absolutely horrible. there are lots of ways the community could help out with the ui- i've heard complaints from rogues for a better way to visualize their combat points when multi-targetting, social addons like an in game messenger, etc could be wonderful but i really hope that the dps meters and deadly boss mods stay out of this game. i understand there is already a dps parser but having to tab out to look at it is i hope helping it from altering the community.

Rift Chaser

So you don't want to download and item that helps communicate things better for you? OR
    You don't want to make the effort to download a very small file and put it in your folder?

Seriously? You're either just super lazy or you have a vendetta against addons because they expose peoples inability to properly play.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Ndangerdfevr View Post
    i think addons can be great or they can be absolutely horrible. there are lots of ways the community could help out with the ui- i've heard complaints from rogues for a better way to visualize their combat points when multi-targetting, social addons like an in game messenger, etc could be wonderful but i really hope that the dps meters and deadly boss mods stay out of this game. i understand there is already a dps parser but having to tab out to look at it is i hope helping it from altering the community.
    You do not need to tab out to look at it. Its always had a window in game as long as you play windowd mode.

I'm sure addons will give trion's team an idea of what the players are looking for to enhance their gaming experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaarrj View Post
    So you don't want to download and item that helps communicate things better for you? OR
    You don't want to make the effort to download a very small file and put it in your folder?

Seriously? You're either just super lazy or you have a vendetta against addons because they expose peoples inability to properly play.
    way to be mature

its neither, i dont want to be forced to download something i dont need because others deem it necessary, i prefer using my brain, and dont want this to become a game where addons tell you what to do, i dont want to have those, or play with people that use them. i do not need something to "communcate things better for [me]" i can see with my own eyes, its the point that im forced to get something i dont want on my computer, not because im lazy

as for any other responses flaming me, you have your opinions, i have mine, if you want them thats great, i personally dont want those types, deal with it

EDIT: and to seebs, i did play wow, albeit before those types of addons became mainstream, and i have spoken to several people and watched them play wow and they all told me the same thing, across multiple servers/guilds
    Last edited by xanduin246; 06-03-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Soulwalker

Default The Funny Thing Is.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaarrj View Post

Having to use add-ons like DBM expose YOUR in-ability to play. Add-ons that tell you what to do and when to do it are for people who need a crutch to play.

I do want to see a nice dps/threat meter, actually im pro a lot of addons, just against DBM for the most part. I would love to see an add-on that will auto loot my mail box and possibly track auction trends better.

Gief soulscore so I can throw my brain down the sewer and pick players to my PuGs!!!
    Gief raid announcer so I can stop paying attention to raids and scroll youtube while doing them!!!
    Gief omen so I can do DPS without thinking about threat gains and losses!!!
    Gief massive buff/cd buttons so I can stop paying attention to my rotation and just fire skills as the addons tell me to!!!
    Gief DPS meters so I can spam them after every pull and kick people who slack off or suck!!!
    Gief massive nameplates so I can just spam heals and give zero attention to the actual raid frames!!!

Bleh, addons will make this game so much worse
    Hopefully Trion has strict control over the addons.
    Last edited by GoldenArrow; 06-03-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenArrow View Post
    Gief soulscore so I can throw my brain down the sewer and pick players to my PuGs!!!
    Gief raid announcer so I can stop paying attention to raids and scroll youtube why doing them!!!
    Gief omen so I can do DPS without thinking about threat gains and losses!!!
    Gief massive buff/cd buttons so I can stop paying attention to my rotation and just fire skills as the addons tell me to.
    Just an idle question:

If someone really, really, wants those... Why should I object to them having such things?

Heck, I'd think the PvP crowd would be overjoyed to see their opponents converted into scripted AI. :P

Bleh, addons will make this game so much worse
    Only if by "worse" you mean "better".

sorry i cant edit after 5 min, this is in addition to my post above

this is the issue i was talking about, and that i saw in wow before i quit, this seperation of players

the ones who do want addons like this calling the ones who dont lazy and essentially inferior until theyre forced to get them to play with them

i really hope im wrong, truly, but its going just as i thought it would unfortunately

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast