+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By TrionBrasse
  • 3 Post By Doranbolt
  • 1 Post By Aranka

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Prime: Vigil Challenge II Winners issues.

1.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Default Prime: Vigil Challenge II Winners issues.

Hey folks,

It takes a while to follow up on issues like this, so we apologize and thank you for your patience while we investigated.
    I'll make sure we post the adjusted winners list as soon as all the data work is done. Note: the Title prizes have not been given out yet, so don't panic unduly. (Side note: Ten Bounty Artifacts awarded the trophy and animal call in game, immediately.)

If you have a specific issue that you want me to follow up on, I am not working on RIFT Directly any more but WILL follow up for you. Drop me a PM here with all the details.
    Brasse

GUARDIAN LIFE SAGA:

Doranbolt's completion of the server first: totally legit - he picked up the quest at the exact timestamp that Dev used for the cutoff of "took the quests early" list. The chances of this happening are minute, but it happened.
    Doranbolt is indeed to be congratulated as the first Guardian on Prime to complete the Life Saga. He would have received the reward either way, but it's nice to say FIRST!

DEFIANT DEATH SAGA

Caduto contended that there is no way only 14 Defiants completed the Death Saga.

There must be a misunderstanding here, or maybe there's still something we're missing.
    This is what we see:
    • 38 Defiants picked up the starting quest EARLY.
    • 14 Defiants completed the challenge in the time parameter specified.
    • 92 additional Defiants completed the challenge after picking up the starting quest at 9:00 AM on April 11th or later - the number is probably ticking higher as I write this.

MY LITTLE BOUNTIES

Andiwen@Vigil reports "One of my toons on Prime (Andiwen) managed to collect 20 of the bounty artifacts before the event started, and about another 10 or so during the event period. I am thinking the ones pre-event maybe haven't been counted"

Serenity@Vigil reports - " So I watched the twitch stream to see the winners and to my surprise there were only 2 completions??? I'm surprised because as of the end date of the contest on 17 May, I had collected 23 bounty artifacts on my main "Serenity""

This is due to the text of the challenge article erroneously stating that artifacts collected prior to the challenge would count toward the total. We missed that in editing.
    The actual intent and winner list was pulled from people who completed the tracking achievement for 20 artifacts that began on 4/11 with the patch.
    That is totally on us for not reviewing the challenge text well enough, and we WILL make good on it for those affected.

This will take more time; Dev is working on what is going to be a messy data log pull, through our BI department.

For future reference, and as a rule, assume that no challenge we do will be “immediately completed .00000001 seconds after the start of the challenge window due to previous completion of the objective.” It really defeats the purpose of a challenge.

We will be much more careful when reviewing text and times in future.
    Brasse

Soulwalker

Thumbs up Thank you for addressing this.

Thank you for addressing this. I realize challenges are a new concept to Rift and need some time to really shine, that's why I gave the feedback I did. Ensuring challenges are fair is necessary to keep people interested. I indeed picked up the challenge as soon as I could because I didn't want to lose any time, I really wanted to get going as I didn't know how hard the competetion would be.

Finally I would like to mention again that when designing challenges I don't think it is a good thing to have challenges that are not feasible. If challenges are not feasible like the Port Scion one was and only the people that have gotten the furthest are rewarded you are designing content for only the few players that have progressed the most. The strenght of challenges as content lies in the fact that it appeals to both the people that want to race for guaranteed rewards as well as players that just want to complete it for a sense of personal achievement and the chance to get lucky.

the real challenge is not so much in the things trion comes up with..

the challenge is more something for all.. getting something done.. and preferably have a goal/aim other than just gearing up to prepare for whatever may come next month

wrong design.. contraptions (or w/e it was called)..

new players, low levels.. way lower chance at completing them, especially on prime..

guild banners may help, but how would you expect a level 10 in starter guild if in guild at all to complete this quest as easily as a level 50? counting 100+ spots to visit in zones upto level 50.. without sidekicking option like there is on live.. makes it for prime rather difficult to finish top 3

what you're basically saying is that challenges are aimed at higher level players and that players should just level up to have more chance at finishing the challenges..

another... twisted artifacts.. gather 300.. but without leaderboards, you can't even tell how many you did pick up.. live at least has some clue to the counter through leaderboards, tho that doesn't specify twisted artifacts either

first month challenge to get craft/gather skills to 300.. basically excluded any hide/leather requiring skill (outfitter, butcher, armorsmith) to make it into top 3, since those skills require killing animals level 45+ to get the mats to max the skill.. And levelling 50 in 3 days.. that's not in reach of 95% of the players if anybody did make that time at all..

and just a guess.. but it might very well be, that most prime players would give up on any challenges if we could instead have a challenge like volan.. enough people active/levelled/in game to do one event/kill some major thing to unlock ember isle, storm legion, ros, hammerknell.. Something to work towards to.. instead of week in, week out watching patch updates and hoping for more content to unlock

If trion wants to do some incentives (give away titles, mounts, wardrobe, pets, w/e)

Make it a monthly quest everybody gets on logging in with requirement level 10.
    Quest is active during the month and gets a reward named after the month the quest/challenge is active.
    The item is removed from bag/quest bag/bank one month after closure.

Reguirements for the quest/challenge
    Be level 10
    close 5 rifts
    kill 50 invasions
    kill 10 players in a warfront
    Do 5 daily quests in any zone.
    kill 10 animals

Can be simple enough.. it can be done by any level 10 or higher. Some may finish it in an hour, others may need that month for the invasions and/or pvp kills.
    Anybody finishing the quest gets the special token that grants access to the draw.

The quest gets de-activated once the month has past and will be replaced with the quest for the new month.

Trion can do the draw based on players with that token, no matter how long it took those players to achieve it. If the time stamps on the quest are working as should, it should be fairly easy to pull the list with players who participate in the draw.

checked the challenge results. those will probably/hopefull be announced june 22nd..
    The twisted artifacts is 500, not 300.. all the more reason it should have a tracker result..
    As for the 'bad design'.. A level 50 on PRIME that can basically walk safely through all zones (fast kills/runs) can with a little luck collect some 25 artifacts per hour. That's normal, twisted and poisoned together...
    Say half is twisted.. means collecting for 40 hours to have a go at those 500..
    Would rule out the lower levels, that need more precaution/time to gather the artifacts without getting killed in the higher level zones, the players that only play the weekends or have other limitations in time to play.
    And that's not looking at top 3, but looking at an entire month to reach that 500 without tracker, without counter and without shard hop options.

By comparison.. With shard hop over 7 shards, without tracker, I used to collect artifacts on live at 50 to 80 per hour, a mix of normal and twisted artifacts. That's the difference in shard hopping.
    The tracker makes it easier, but that's only on live, same with running around sidekicked to a higher level to cover more zones.
    And guild quests.. at guild level 9, that's collecting 225 or 250 artifacts with the guild..

Realistic numbers would be nice for the challenge design
    After all, it is also to entertain the players, not to replace one grind with another.

+ Reply to Thread