+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: State of Rift Prime

Telaran

Default State of Rift Prime

Dear Trion,

As you may have noticed population has taken a huge nose dive in recent weeks. I have noticed you are now giving people free trials to come back and play PRIME even though we're not even 3 months into the server and there should still be moderate hype. I'd like to put forward some suggestions for PRIME because to be frank this server has until the next WoW expansion drops to get it together if it intends to keep any returning players(myself and guildies included).

1) Leveling -

It's too slow! WAAAAAY too slow! Even with the experience nerfs in a recent patch and spamming dungeons with the 50% bonus active the levels 40-50 don't exactly come thick and fast. I suggest you implement the 50% bonus permanently ATLEAST (you might simply scoff at this idea) but during the time it was active I found myself actually getting que pops for dungeons. Reaching level 50 in my opinion is not the aim of the server and should not be hard work. The max level content is what many returned for and would/will pay for.

2) Expert dungeons -

You changed the loot system a while back which actually made it much harder for fresh 50's to gear. Pair this with less 50's actively doing experts and you've got a really terrible situation. People simply hit 50 and cheese the hit to do 10 man dungeons currently so they skip a whole level of gear progression. I suggest you add atleast 1 IRC to each expert charge. It's been suggested before and I really don't see why it has been ignored. Currently for simply doing a crafting daily of handing in some fish you get a charge but completing a SOMEWHAT challenging piece of group content you get nothing at all if you're a long time 50.

3) Planarite Souls -

The cost of souls at the start was raised as an issue and ignored. I think it's time to do something about this. Currently the only way to get enough planarite is to farm a stillmoor or shimmersand event that people don't end on purpose. It's been this way from the very start of PRIME and though spamming aoe on invasions that endlessly flow to you is EASY enough it's not healthy or enjoyable for anyone. I suggest you now reduce the cost of planarite souls dramatically. I'd like to see them either halved or all put down to 2000. The idea of putting souls people came back to PRIME to play behind massive grind walls isn't exactly anyone's idea of fun. People aren't going to play for longer because they WANT to grind 50,000 planarite to be able to tank or heal.

4) Raid currency -

The costs of raid gear on the vendor seemed really high at the start but with GSB introduced the amount of marks people who raid consistently have sitting in their bags is growing and we have NOTHING to spend them on. The vendor gear is simply worse than the dropped gear and everything counts for set bonus (good move IMO) so the marks have no use. I suggest that once GSB has been released for a month you add all of the 10 man loot into a vendor and allow people to cherry pick the absolute best pieces from them for pretty high cost to sink some of their raid currency on bits that might still be upgrades. You might think this will stop people doing 10 mans; But they've pretty much stopped already since there's nothing to be gained other than marks which my suggestion now gives a use.

5) The Timeline -

This is a major one. This was sold as a year running server(ish) and then you outright said on livestream that is no longer the goal and it will run much longer. Alot of players quit right there and then and we've bled out slowly ever since. We need some speed back simply put. The server is way too slow currently for myself and many others. This very much feels like a gimped fresh start server rather than a progression server. This pace is losing players and is a terrible choice to continue with; I suggest you go back to the original timeline and let returning players get to the content they actually enjoy.

6) Cosmetics -

This is likely be VERY unpopular but I will state it anyway. I love cosmetics personally and see them as a great way to get money into the game without directly hurting anyone who opts out. The system of everything dropping ingame is a nice idea but denies you a lot of revenue you could be using to further the goals of the server. I suggest you introduce some basic cosmetics like the contest winning cape/weapons to allow people to give alittle more money to the game but feel good about it.

Soulwalker

You asked for it, here's my 2p

On the whole it's all pretty on point, and reflects the feelings of most people I've talked to who play. Leveling overstays its welcome 40-50. The inclusion of ALL the additional souls from the get-go has very obviously been a balancing nightmare, and created a huge planarite vacuum for each character you create. They should have been unavailable till the appropriate expansions.

That said

You complain that no one plays the content, and you're quite right to, but suggesting that dropped gear should be available for purchase contradicts that. You want people to have reason to play content, gear should be random. The current expert/raid loot system is the best we can hope for with the individual reward system we have. Making specific raid gear available on demand is a terrible idea. The problem is that there's currently no incentive to run experts or raids whatsoever once you have the loot, as you have said.

However, I think 1 IRC per dungeon is the wrong incentive, dungeons/raids should consume them, not generate them. Instead, raid currency, dungeon marks and void stones would be a much more appropriate reward (see: how it used to work).

All of this boils down to the pacing of the server, and the way Rift functions now as opposed to on release. This is, to my mind, the biggest problem with prime's endgame.

When Rift released there were hard limits on how much gear you could acquire. You had your set number of bosses that could be killed, and a finite number of marks or gear that could be gained in any one week. This incentivised people to run the content, and by design extended the life of the content. This is now completely out of the window. It is very easy, and quite routine to farm the same 2-3 bosses until you're completely decked out, this takes approximately two weeks. This is likely the lifetime for most any content released up to whenever IRCs were introduced. Content designed for a slower gated progression system, expecting fewer, more substantial upgrades has been paired with a progression system designed for many small, incremental upgrades.

People are fed up because the restrictions have been lifted and they are able to completely clean out the content, leaving them spinning their wheels. This lack of timegates wouldn't be as much of a problem if the content release schedule kept up, but right now it isn't. People don't know how long they're going to be killing Greenscale, and they can't even make a tactical decision to wait till X raid, Y zone and Z questline is released and then resub for a month to play them, because there is no schedule. It's hard to get excited over repeated "watch this space"'s.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Arubaluba View Post
    You asked for it, here's my 2p

On the whole it's all pretty on point, and reflects the feelings of most people I've talked to who play. Leveling overstays its welcome 40-50. The inclusion of ALL the additional souls from the get-go has very obviously been a balancing nightmare, and created a huge planarite vacuum for each character you create. They should have been unavailable till the appropriate expansions.

That said

You complain that no one plays the content, and you're quite right to, but suggesting that dropped gear should be available for purchase contradicts that. You want people to have reason to play content, gear should be random. The current expert/raid loot system is the best we can hope for with the individual reward system we have. Making specific raid gear available on demand is a terrible idea. The problem is that there's currently no incentive to run experts or raids whatsoever once you have the loot, as you have said.

However, I think 1 IRC per dungeon is the wrong incentive, dungeons/raids should consume them, not generate them. Instead, raid currency, dungeon marks and void stones would be a much more appropriate reward (see: how it used to work).

All of this boils down to the pacing of the server, and the way Rift functions now as opposed to on release. This is, to my mind, the biggest problem with prime's endgame.

When Rift released there were hard limits on how much gear you could acquire. You had your set number of bosses that could be killed, and a finite number of marks or gear that could be gained in any one week. This incentivised people to run the content, and by design extended the life of the content. This is now completely out of the window. It is very easy, and quite routine to farm the same 2-3 bosses until you're completely decked out, this takes approximately two weeks. This is likely the lifetime for most any content released up to whenever IRCs were introduced. Content designed for a slower gated progression system, expecting fewer, more substantial upgrades has been paired with a progression system designed for many small, incremental upgrades.

People are fed up because the restrictions have been lifted and they are able to completely clean out the content, leaving them spinning their wheels. This lack of timegates wouldn't be as much of a problem if the content release schedule kept up, but right now it isn't. People don't know how long they're going to be killing Greenscale, and they can't even make a tactical decision to wait till X raid, Y zone and Z questline is released and then resub for a month to play them, because there is no schedule. It's hard to get excited over repeated "watch this space"'s.
    Being able to buy gear is just a way to get people to use marks that are otherwise fairly worthless. The 10 man gear is worse as a whole that's why I suggest adding it to vendor. 75% of the gear is rubbish compared to GSB stuff and the stuff that is good isn't worth farming those raids for anymore.

You say you don't want IRC from experts but the rewards you listed are all dead currencies for a geared level 50 raider. Still no incentive.
    Last edited by Yolodisco; 05-31-2018 at 05:25 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Yolodisco View Post
    Being able to buy gear is just a way to get people to use marks that are otherwise fairly worthless. The 10 man gear is worse as a whole that's why I suggest adding it to vendor. 75% of the gear is rubbish compared to GSB stuff and the stuff that is good isn't worth farming those raids for anymore.

You say you don't want IRC from experts but the rewards you listed are all dead currencies for a geared level 50 raider. Still no incentive.
    IRCs are equally useless if you're a fully geared 50 though. Saying that currencies are useless because you don't need the gear, but the currency that is exclusively used to get gear IS useful doesn't follow. There is no reward that's going to have value at that point, except if there are more diverse uses for raid currencies (see: FF14). My point is that you should never BE fully geared, that's the fundamental issue here.

Soulwalker

Wow OP formatted it with colors and everything ;p

If they buff leveling (which I agree leveling sucks as with every MMO), wouldn't just the old players that went through the grind to 50 without the buff just ***** and want something to compensate?
    Last edited by maestroanth; 05-31-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Soulwalker

They should be happy that they will have more players to play with and the game can remain in a better state but there will always somebody that would complain lol

Shadowlander

Default My 2 silver

Quote Originally Posted by Yolodisco View Post
    Dear Trion,

1) Leveling -
    Agree, seems to be a common complaint. We're not far from where we need to be, but still too far for many players to accept.
    2) Expert dungeons -
    Agree that the daily rewards need to be reworked to get people involved in both experts and normals. I would also like to see the vendor removal reverted
    3) Planarite Souls -
    I wouldn't want to see them dropped to 2k, but halved might be a welcome change. Warriors who want to heal currently need 70k planarite to built the Warchanter/Lib heal spec. That is a bit tedious, cheesing Stillmoor events isn't much fun, but it is the current norm.
    4) Raid currency -
    I disagree with putting all raid drops on the vendor. it was never that way previously, so I think most people accept it as it is. Also, we need something to work towards at end game.
    5) The Timeline -
    Agree, we would love a time line. Many of us came here for a 1 year journey and many have left since it became obvious we won't be anywhere near that schedule. People signed up for a 'Fast Progression experience' not a weird 'Fresh start' server. I think player retention is the biggest concern of many who want this project to succeed.
    6) Cosmetics -
    I hate the cash shop, it was why I left, but like most can tolerate cosmetic only items.

Soulwalker

God, I have now a 41 rogue 38 mage and 33 warrior. I love playing them all, I just hope I can survive until level 50 for at least one or two of them....

However, I've started playing an MMO called Project: Gorgon that contrasts nicely to this style of MMO since it's more old school, so between bouncing between the two; hopefully, I can get my toons to 50 before I expire.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonatorrr View Post
    They should be happy that they will have more players to play with and the game can remain in a better state but there will always somebody that would complain lol
    Ya, true. What's the point of getting to 50 and having the game die? Makes all their work more worthless....

Soulwalker

Rest XP.

One thing I'm lost on, why does the rested xp build so slow? In WoW, this is what helped me paced myself to keep my sanity to level 60. I coulda sworn in just 1 day not touching the game you get half a level of rested in the golden days. I think buffing this could help.
    Last edited by maestroanth; 05-31-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Soulwalker

1 - Levelling

Agreed, too slow. I had all classes maxed on live and that gave me a lot more options on what to do... very limited with a single class and no motivation to develop another one.

2 - Dungeons

Agree to an extent, they're pointless as they are at the moment. I prefer Aruba's suggestion of giving marks to IRC's, generally speaking you can get IRC's a lot faster than you can run dungeons but to be able to get marks with a smaller group with a daily charge would be an actual incentive (assuming they're made useful - point 4)

3 - Planarite Souls

Agreed. Half the cost at least, it's just another barrier to having alts.

4 - Raid Currency

This needs to be made useful in some way but not convinced adding dropped gear to the vendor is the way forward. My preferred approach would be to make them bind to account and people will farm them for alts (assuming 1 is fixed)

5 - The Timeline

Agreed, it's crippling. At the rate we're going it will be nearly a year before we even see Storm Legion. I can see logic from a business perspective in trying to drag the server out given its initial success, but that logic is flawed - we've been misdirected as to the speed of content release, and when you try to balance how quickly we can gear in new releases with IRCs etc against content release rate it's too slow. This wouldn't be terrible if alts were even slightly appealing but nobody wants to face that grind again..

6 - Cosmetics

Doesn't apply to me
    Last edited by JoeyS; 05-31-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Shadowlander

I agree with everything that has been said to try and keep/build the population.

That being said i don't know if its just the times i log in but i have seen a HUGE drop in population over just the last 2 weeks. It looks like a ghost town in Meridian

It may be to late the damage seems to be done for people to leave and not return.

Soulwalker

Well I hope we can keep the population that is still coming into the game.

My guild population has not changed on daily log in base that much.we still have from 75 to 100 daily log ins.
    I see a lot of lower lvl players right now so we have to keep them!!!Yes some are living alts atm too.
    At this moment we have 47 online atm and less then 17 are 50 haha

So saying that is anybody is looking to group for lvling,dungeons and raids hit up the guild *Primal Elite* we have a great atmosphere and have a lot of fun together

We are always looking for more active raiders as well! We do have 2 teams,a early raid group and a late group!
    Last edited by Wilsonatorrr; 05-31-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Default I agree with the OP

Right now I am lvl 44 and have been qued for a random dungeon for over and hour or so and pvp...forget about it!!!

I'm actually pretty depressed about prime. I would like to see some changes in the xp from 40-50 and some sort of incentive for lvl 50's to run low lvl dungeons, this should be implemented on prime as well as live, IMHO.

Last night I was playing a lvl 10 over on live and I hate to say but there were more folks in those starter zones than their were on prime. At this point, something needs to happen, otherwise I don't see this server making it much longer. I am ready to go back to live if things continue to be so barren on prime. I mean seriously,..I should not be waiting this long for ques at my lvl.

Hopefully Trion reads this post and acts accordingly with what needs to be done to save Prime or the game for that matter.
    "I've had so many names, old names that only the wind and trees can pronounce" - Pan's Labyrinth

Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonatorrr View Post
    My guild population has not changed on daily log in base that much.we still have from 75 to 100 daily log ins.
    True, boss. However, we are one of the largest (if not the largest) guilds on Vigil at the moment. That makes us an outlier, not the average. I too hope for a resurgence, but the ball rests squarely in Trion's court.
    Last edited by Valavus; 06-01-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    Lasthope - Cleric
    Newhope - Salty Healing Mage Re-roll
    <Primal Elite>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast