+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Slipmat
  • 2 Post By aileen

Thread: Rift is amazing, but really underrated, could it happen?

Shadowlander

Default Rift is amazing, but really underrated, could it happen?

Hi everyone.

So i have been playing rift since day 1, didten really like the live version, when it went off the sub. But i REALLY love the prime version of rift, ITS SUPER amazing.

I told it to my group of friends that i startet on rift again, and if they would like to join. 90% of them didten want to start on rift, as the graphics looks really outdated "they said".

So here is my question. is it even possible for trion to update the graphics in rift? If so, plz do it. its a amazing game, and better graphics would be REALLY cool!

I read some where the game engine, the game is using isent supported anymore, so would it even be possible to update the graphics with this engine?

Hope anyone can answer my question.

Have a nice day in rift.! I LOVE IT!!!

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Obbi View Post
    I read some where the game engine, the game is using isent supported anymore, so would it even be possible to update the graphics with this engine?

Unfortunately you're correct, the Gamebryo engine is now hopelessly outdated and even though Rift is running on a Trion heavily modified version it's still Gamebryo at it's core.

They'd have to build the game from the ground up with a new engine and i doubt they have the manpower/resources for that kind of undertaking, best would be a Rift 2.0 or something.

According to this interview from four years ago, the Korean Company who bought up Gamebryo lock. stock and two smoking barrels are working on a new version and might get their finger out and actually release it.

Shadowlander

That really sad, as rift is a amazing game! and i think better graphics would give the game ALOT more players.

Iknow alot of people dont really ***** about graphics, but the ppl who dont even touch rift, dont really care to make a message anywhere about the game.

rift 2 would be mind blowing sweet!

Trion, Take my moneyyyyyyyyy!!!!

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

It would be useful if i included that interview link, promises of DirectX12 etc...

https://gamingbolt.com/gamebryo-inte...-and-stability

Telaran

While I think that graphics are outdated I don't necessary think that they are at point where an overhaul is necessary. I would be much more interested in an update to character animations, which are just too... boring. It just doesn't feel too immersive when it feels like all skills are using same stack of animations and they themselves are bit dull, not that they are bad, just that it feels that much more entertaining when different kind of skills have corresponding animations. I would even argue that animation quality > graphical quality.

p.s. Game engines are not part of my expertise, but I'm pretty sure that an update in the game engine would require a massive overhaul of the game to be adapted to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    It would be useful if i included that interview link, promises of DirectX12 etc...

https://gamingbolt.com/gamebryo-inte...-and-stability
    RIFT still using Gamebryo 2.3.0.0 and it didn't get any engine updates since launch except afaik RIFT team specially Zorba made some changes for making their own modified version on it.

So I really don't know if team can upgrade to directly any newer versions of Gamebryo, most companies also making changes on this engines to make their own game engines like Skyrim's Creation Engine mostly based on Gamebryo as well.

I wouldn't get my hopes on such news because all up to trion right now and that kind of change will require more than imaginable effort and time than it sounds like but like everyone else I would like to see new update engine on RIFT, current one is actually having more problems than you can think.
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    Addons updated for 4.3: RiftMeter, BiSCaL, RiftActionBarCooldowns, GCDDisplay
    Gadgets 0.11, updated for 4.3
    Softcap values for current prime
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

Soulwalker

I like the graphics okay, has a nice darker Diablo 2 feel to me which I enjoy.

It can be worse, it can be WoW graphics.....

+ Reply to Thread