+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Expert Loot Changes

Soulwalker

The day I could have earned enough marks for the second caster ring of the two-piece set, your developers lost the vendor and then screwed up putting it back and are now stating they won't be put back at all? Am I reading that right?

Can I trade my marks to customer service to receive the second ring? If it's no one's fault that the vendor got lost, what is the process for getting an item from it in exchange for the effort I have put into the game I'm paying for so far?

Wait...I have to wait until next week for the chance to get the thing I already have the currency for? But there's a chance I won't get it for some unknown period of time while I farm that specific boss day after day?

Like. The developers are familiar with the problem here. How is randomizing the process to get what was available one day and not the next any form of acceptable to them? What in the actual rift are you doing?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Skalikas View Post
    In general I'm seeing all this as a positive change. I was highly disappointed with all bosses having same loot tables. While these changes will affect players who are just now gearing it is nothing surprising, when lots of players already are raid ready this always happens and is nothing to complain about as you still have gear merchant.

I also have to agree with the opinion that essences from rift reputation vendors need to be looked at. Having the price at 10k/essence is too much and requires far more farming than it should on a increased progression server.
    As long as you got your gear from easy mode, it's not a problem that those that are not yet geared have to get it hard mode. Yet, at the same time you complain about it being too hard to get essences. hmmm....

It does frequently happen in MMO's. It should not happen on a progression server for software that was out years ago.

If they wanted to make this change, they should start it on the next expansion so all players are on a level playing field. All this decision does is alienate a portion of the player base on an already shrinking population.
    Last edited by Porck; 04-28-2018 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Expert dungeon rewards and gear are undergoing some revisions, so here is an overview of what is changing (and why).

1) Expert bosses will no longer drop random "concat" items (though items with variable stats). They will now drop specific items that have long been traditionally associated with those bosses. This loot will still be personalized to your class, and require IRCs after your "free" rolls each day are consumed. Non-Expert dungeons will still use concat gear rewards (for now).

2) The number of free Personal Loot rolls for each Expert boss each day is increasing before the needs for IRCs kicks in. The drop rate for gear per personal loot roll will also increase.. IRCs will no longer be needed in non-Expert dungeons.

3) The Expert quality gear that was previously on the Expert vendors has been or is going to be removed. Those items were the original boss drops and are returning to the bosses from whence they came.

4) Some expert items are seeing some stat adjustments. In the many years since Rift launched, the game saw adjustments to how many stats functioned corresponding changes to how much each stat was valued in an item's "budget". Because of this, many items ended up having a current allocation of stats much lower than they should have. These items have had their stat values increased to the full value of their stat budget. Basically, a number of Expert items will just get a bit better.

We know there are questions, so here are some answers...

Why is this change being done?
    One of the first bits of Prime itemization feedback from day 1 was that gear drops from bosses felt too "generic". Many players also pointed out that it made the different bosses not matter so much if all bosses could drop the same random items. Simply put, it was too much homogenization. So we have been working behind the scenes to get back the variety of play experiences and rewards while still maintaining the ability to have loot be personalized to your class.

But why now?
    Because Prime is still ongoing, the current loot is not the end of the game. Eventually Storm Legion will raise the level cap and introduce a new tier of Experts and their loot. We have been experimenting ways to make all of that feel better, and one way to accomplish that is to bring some of the changes online now and see the effects of the changes in an active play environment as opposed to a sterile test one.

What other changes might come like this?
    We have some various ideas we are currently working on. One is the idea of keeping the idea of gear rewards scaled to your level (something the "generic concats" were intended to address), but are still specific items from specific bosses with the specific stat distribution that you would expect from the original versions of those items. This idea takes more work to implement than simple concats, but we believe it will feel a lot better and is a worthwhile investment of time. This change is still a ways out, as it affects leveling items as opposed to level cap items.

More immediately, we know some people are concerned about being the victims of bad luck and have even cited incidences of going long periods of time without ever getting a gear drop. We are testing new tech that would allow us to force a gear reward result after a certain number of rolls without gear. In doing so, a safety net would be in place to ensure no one could be the victim of consistently terrible luck.

What about the Jewelry vendor that was supposed to come back for 1 more week?
    Unfortunately, the jewelry vendor was mugged by the patch build process and was not able to rejoin the other gear merchants. There is no plan for it to return at this point as by the time the next patch hits, the expert items will once again be dropping from their original bosses.

So there is a round up of change announcements and answers to frequently asked questions.
    Challenge accepted
    Pls respond

Telaran

As has been noted by someone else this feels like a HUGE step backwards. A change like this should've waited for a new expansion to be released so the playing field was level and everyone was aware of the system.

On a ''fast progression'' server surely you should be looking to constantly speed those left behind back into the action and not make it actively harder for players to gear. This system change feels like a way to simply slow people down in an effort to keep them gearing/playing longer but will likely have the opposite effect as those who got geared to raid before this change will be miles ahead and those behind demoralised. Grinding the same dungeon 30 times for a trinket others got from simply killing 24 bosses is outrageous and unfair.

I propose you let players vote on changes that significantly impact gameplay
    (outside of outright broken things like RS bug etc) because with every change and delay you guys throw at us you lose more players and we feel as if we're simply unpaid testers rather than paying customers.

I personally want to see:
    1. Old vendors back!
    2. Planarite cost of souls reduced vastly every month
    3. Experience gain increased every month
    4. Incentive to do random dungeon charges beyond 50

Just 4 things to possibly keep new players actually playing! PLEASE make efforts to keep prime alive and stop milking loyal players who returned.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Expert dungeon rewards and gear are undergoing some revisions, so here is an overview of what is changing (and why).

1) Expert bosses will no longer drop random "concat" items (though items with variable stats). They will now drop specific items that have long been traditionally associated with those bosses. This loot will still be personalized to your class, and require IRCs after your "free" rolls each day are consumed. Non-Expert dungeons will still use concat gear rewards (for now).

2) The number of free Personal Loot rolls for each Expert boss each day is increasing before the needs for IRCs kicks in. The drop rate for gear per personal loot roll will also increase.. IRCs will no longer be needed in non-Expert dungeons.

3) The Expert quality gear that was previously on the Expert vendors has been or is going to be removed. Those items were the original boss drops and are returning to the bosses from whence they came.

4) Some expert items are seeing some stat adjustments. In the many years since Rift launched, the game saw adjustments to how many stats functioned corresponding changes to how much each stat was valued in an item's "budget". Because of this, many items ended up having a current allocation of stats much lower than they should have. These items have had their stat values increased to the full value of their stat budget. Basically, a number of Expert items will just get a bit better.

We know there are questions, so here are some answers...

Why is this change being done?
    One of the first bits of Prime itemization feedback from day 1 was that gear drops from bosses felt too "generic". Many players also pointed out that it made the different bosses not matter so much if all bosses could drop the same random items. Simply put, it was too much homogenization. So we have been working behind the scenes to get back the variety of play experiences and rewards while still maintaining the ability to have loot be personalized to your class.

But why now?
    Because Prime is still ongoing, the current loot is not the end of the game. Eventually Storm Legion will raise the level cap and introduce a new tier of Experts and their loot. We have been experimenting ways to make all of that feel better, and one way to accomplish that is to bring some of the changes online now and see the effects of the changes in an active play environment as opposed to a sterile test one.

What other changes might come like this?
    We have some various ideas we are currently working on. One is the idea of keeping the idea of gear rewards scaled to your level (something the "generic concats" were intended to address), but are still specific items from specific bosses with the specific stat distribution that you would expect from the original versions of those items. This idea takes more work to implement than simple concats, but we believe it will feel a lot better and is a worthwhile investment of time. This change is still a ways out, as it affects leveling items as opposed to level cap items.

More immediately, we know some people are concerned about being the victims of bad luck and have even cited incidences of going long periods of time without ever getting a gear drop. We are testing new tech that would allow us to force a gear reward result after a certain number of rolls without gear. In doing so, a safety net would be in place to ensure no one could be the victim of consistently terrible luck.

What about the Jewelry vendor that was supposed to come back for 1 more week?
    Unfortunately, the jewelry vendor was mugged by the patch build process and was not able to rejoin the other gear merchants. There is no plan for it to return at this point as by the time the next patch hits, the expert items will once again be dropping from their original bosses.

So there is a round up of change announcements and answers to frequently asked questions.
    Implement these changes with storm legion, not now.

Doing it now will adversely punish those who have not yet hit 50 and gives any existing 50s less incentive to level a second character.

I like the change, but the timing is poor.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Porck View Post
    As long as you got your gear from easy mode, it's not a problem that those that are not yet geared have to get it hard mode. Yet, at the same time you complain about it being too hard to get essences. hmmm....

It does frequently happen in MMO's. It should not happen on a progression server for software that was out years ago.

If they wanted to make this change, they should start it on the next expansion so all players are on a level playing field. All this decision does is alienate a portion of the player base on an already shrinking population.
    I have a level 47 char I will have to gear it up the new way, so yes, I have a say in this and I see this as a positive change. Do I see this as a thing that had to wait for next expansion before implementation as many mentioned? - No, but it is my opinion and it can be debated. They are simply bringing the old way it used to be, therefore it's more of a chocolate experience than it was before this.

As for complaining for shop essence prices. I got all I needed for both my main and off-spec roles therefore I know how much time it takes to farm them and I'm of an opinion that it took too long. To get 10k you need at least 50 world events, or MANY more expert bosses considering you get good drop from them. Therefore you will get all your gear from experts before you get vendor essences you need even with the new change and don't forget that vendor essences>raid rift essences, so for some roles BiS essences will consist of 3-4/6 slots.

Soulwalker

I have a level 47 char I will have to gear it up the new way, so yes, I have a say in this and I see this as a positive change. Do I see this as a thing that had to wait for next expansion before implementation as many mentioned? - No, but it is my opinion and it can be debated. They are simply bringing the old way it used to be, therefore it's more of a chocolate experience than it was before this.

As for complaining for shop essence prices. I got all I needed for both my main and off-spec roles therefore I know how much time it takes to farm them and I'm of an opinion that it took too long. To get 10k you need at least 50 world events, or MANY more expert bosses considering you get good drop from them. Therefore you will get all your gear from experts before you get vendor essences you need even with the new change and don't forget that vendor essences>raid rift essences, so for some roles BiS essences will consist of 3-4/6 slots.
    The old way would be fine if it was always that way. Those that still need to be equipped will have to do dungeons at a much higher rate and take much longer to get their equipment. That assumes they can get a group to pass the dps check or healing check on some of the boss mobs. That is much easier to do today because it is not an impediment. You'll get past that boss when your geared for it.

I'm not sure what can be debated about that. It is going to directly result in a lower population as they realize how badly they've been blocked. If I can't progress because of a punitive change I won't pay for the privilege.

At this point, changing the method on how you get expert gear, making equipment harder to get, making it more of a grind, and making it more frustrating as you wait for the RNG is detrimental to the game in every way. I don't see how that is debatable unless you're past that point and you don't see the long term impact. It is short term thinking since it doesn't impact you. Ultimately it hurts everyone.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yolodisco View Post
    As has been noted by someone else this feels like a HUGE step backwards. A change like this should've waited for a new expansion to be released so the playing field was level and everyone was aware of the system.

On a ''fast progression'' server surely you should be looking to constantly speed those left behind back into the action and not make it actively harder for players to gear. This system change feels like a way to simply slow people down in an effort to keep them gearing/playing longer but will likely have the opposite effect as those who got geared to raid before this change will be miles ahead and those behind demoralised. Grinding the same dungeon 30 times for a trinket others got from simply killing 24 bosses is outrageous and unfair.

I propose you let players vote on changes that significantly impact gameplay
    (outside of outright broken things like RS bug etc) because with every change and delay you guys throw at us you lose more players and we feel as if we're simply unpaid testers rather than paying customers.

I personally want to see:
    1. Old vendors back!
    2. Planarite cost of souls reduced vastly every month
    3. Experience gain increased every month
    4. Incentive to do random dungeon charges beyond 50

Just 4 things to possibly keep new players actually playing! PLEASE make efforts to keep prime alive and stop milking loyal players who returned.
    As exotic as this idea list is, it does make sense. If this server is truly a fast-track progression server, the catch up time for folks should be greatly minimized tier to tier.

Back in 2011, i even had the same mindset when it comes to planarite... Planarite, "as plentiful it might become" (not much so on prime unless you grind your brain out), is a problem. Killing a zone event boss should at least net you 1000 planarite (globally to all zones.), not 37 or 50 some.

Planar Rewards while force mentored should give you your original level planar tier rewards - not the level of zone you're in. Give some proper incentive to go to LL Zone events (even while mentored). But it brings up the question: Where will i farm my X-tier planar dust at? Any zone, there's NPC's in the crafting areas that will down convert those dusts for you, literal 1:1 ratio.
    --BC

Telaran

The old way would be fine if it was always that way. Those that still need to be equipped will have to do dungeons at a much higher rate and take much longer to get their equipment. That assumes they can get a group to pass the dps check or healing check on some of the boss mobs. That is much easier to do today because it is not an impediment. You'll get past that boss when your geared for it.
    Well, you can say same about people who geared before vendors came out. I was one of those people and only had to buy 3 pieces from vendor, two of witch were rings. I have farmed my gear by doing all experts each day, so your claim that they will have to farm more is not exactly right. The only difference is that you will have to focus on specific bosses for items you want which is also an advantage now as you can run same instance repeatedly spending IRCs only on that boss if needed. Also, you are forgetting that we still have expert vendor for armors, so only weapons/jewelry requires 'farm'.
    I'm not sure what can be debated about that. It is going to directly result in a lower population as they realize how badly they've been blocked. If I can't progress because of a punitive change I won't pay for the privilege.
    This is why we need to debate, I don't see this as a block, you still farm experts for marks to get your armor from vendor and arguably if you are lucky you will get your pieces even faster now than before.
    At this point, changing the method on how you get expert gear, making equipment harder to get, making it more of a grind, and making it more frustrating as you wait for the RNG is detrimental to the game in every way. I don't see how that is debatable unless you're past that point and you don't see the long term impact. It is short term thinking since it doesn't impact you. Ultimately it hurts everyone.
    How is RNG for expert drops detrimental? It is THE THING that ensures longevity of the content, there is very good reason why game developers don't put all gear to vendor and award only marks for players. This kind of thing would be the most detrimental to game in the long run. I believe trion saw this too when they added all drop to vendor and it is why they have removed it. Does this mean that it will take much longer to gear up? No. If it was the old system where you could run expert once a day and if item didn't drop, well, better luck next day. But now you can kill same boss for the drop as many times a day as you want (considering you got IRCs for that) and the fact that they are thinking of implementing the limit of boss kills without a drop makes it even faster to get items.

Soulwalker

Well, you can say same about people who geared before vendors came out. I was one of those people and only had to buy 3 pieces from vendor, two of witch were rings. I have farmed my gear by doing all experts each day, so your claim that they will have to farm more is not exactly right. The only difference is that you will have to focus on specific bosses for items you want which is also an advantage now as you can run same instance repeatedly spending IRCs only on that boss if needed. Also, you are forgetting that we still have expert vendor for armors, so only weapons/jewelry requires 'farm'.
    Edited: I like the concept of the loot on specific bosses. My issue is changing it at this point in the original game hurts the population unnecessarily. This is a progression server that will disappear in 1-2 years. If people fall to far behind because Trion makes things difficult for a part of the population, the server will be defunct before it completes its progression.

I don't mind the process if they had it from the beginning but what I said is true.

Current process: Kill 18-30 bosses depending on item. Get loot. EZ Mode and consistent.

New Process: Repeat the dungeon X times, kill N number of bosses to get to your loot boss, kill that boss Y times. It is likely that (N*X)+(Y*X) > 18-30. Unless your extremely lucky: You need to hope you have people willing to do that dungeon time after time. You need to hope it is not behind a dps or healing check mob you are not geared to do. You need to hope you get to your boss on every run.

This also negatively impacts the LFD queue.

This is why we need to debate, I don't see this as a block, you still farm experts for marks to get your armor from vendor and arguably if you are lucky you will get your pieces even faster now than before.
    Although theoretically you can get your armor quicker, if we follow every other RNG loot table in every MMO, you know that will rarely happen. Regardless, changing it now when the population doing experts is falling makes it even worse.

How is RNG for expert drops detrimental? It is THE THING that ensures longevity of the content, there is very good reason why game developers don't put all gear to vendor and award only marks for players. This kind of thing would be the most detrimental to game in the long run. I believe trion saw this too when they added all drop to vendor and it is why they have removed it. Does this mean that it will take much longer to gear up? No. If it was the old system where you could run expert once a day and if item didn't drop, well, better luck next day. But now you can kill same boss for the drop as many times a day as you want (considering you got IRCs for that) and the fact that they are thinking of implementing the limit of boss kills without a drop makes it even faster to get items.
    Your statements contradict each other. It ensures longevity of the content because it takes longer to get geared. It will take longer to get geared up otherwise it wouldn't ensure anything about longevity. To be fair, this is a progression server. The only long term is finishing all expansions.

In the old system, you could kill any bosses in any dungeon regardless of difficulty and if you beat those bosses 18-30 times, you got a piece of loot. That isn't the case anymore. You now will need to take into account another 5 or 6 factors as well as RNG which can all slow down your progression.

It is detrimental to those players not yet geared up because gear will take longer and be harder to obtain. It will be detrimental to the server when those people realize that Trion has placed them in an untenable position, get frustrated, and possibly quit. It is not any fun to have your progression arbitrarily blocked/hindered by a company you are paying to play a game. It is unnecessarily punitive and will not help the game.

Hold it off until the next expansion.
    Last edited by Porck; 04-30-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Clearly this trion team don't know what they are doing, and expect us (players) to help them fix these problems. This relationship is funny, because we have to pay and help in the same time. Like buy a broken car and help the manufacturer to fix it.

Soulwalker

You can't have it both ways. If players are farming specific pieces in a system that requires a finite currency to roll on repeated bosses, players will not spend that finite currency on other repeated bosses. They will be forfeiting the acquisition of marks on some repeated bosses, thereby not getting marks to advance their overall gear with vendor items.

This current system made it so players ran a variety of experts each day to earn enough marks to buy the pieces they wanted. This current system ensured no player was left out of gear. Should some bosses prove more difficult than others at a player's given gear level, instances with those bosses could be skipped for the betterment of a player's invested daily grind.

This current system rewarded participation in dungeons to the end. Even if a player was fully geared, he or she could stockpile more marks and make some plat in the dungeons while helping others but without spending IRCs.

The proposed changes coming will ensure players stop doing a variety of content, will ensure players leave immediately after killing the boss they are targeting for a drop, and will ensure players without the right hit (because they can't complete their two-piece set in a knowable, finite time) will be left sitting out of higher content for an undetermined time.

This proposed system is player-hating garbage. Introducing it with a big raid coming up means some (lots, I suspect) players will not be able to know whether they can do the new content when it releases. If they don't already have the two-piece set for their class, they'll have to hope whomever they run with accepts their lower ilvl gear with hit runes.

My guild won't. My guild has a policy that you can't meet hit requirements with runes because it means you'd be taking up a valuable raid slot undergeared compared to someone whose gear meets the hit requirements plus has runes to augment his or her offense/defense.

This policy change is garbage if implemented midway into present content. Already, I've missed an entire week of raiding while the jewellery vendor is ok vacation because I can't meet the hit requirements to raid with guildies.

The idea of progressive loot calculations is nice. Truly. The idea of unique pieces bring on bosses doesn't suck. Lots of games have that model. But lots of games also have players instantly dropping after tipping their target boss. Lots of games have players getting queued into dungeons in progress, and with this proposed system, that means players may land in a dungeon in progress that is already past the bosses they wanted. This could result in a group having to breakup their dungeon due to people not wanting to start after the boss they want is killed.

Let's pretend for a moment that the developers aren't clueless. There's some evidence to support the notion they're good at their jobs. Let's pretend they plan to put all the best drops on the final bosses of dungeons because they too anticipate the most predictable gaming behaviour imaginable as I've laid out above. Let's see, that would mean players targeting single drop would finish the dungeons, so that's a plus. It also means players would have to spend their time farming IRCs, running the same dungeon an unknowabble number of times, and will have to sit out of higher, more theoretically challenging content until their target pieces are acquired.

What other games can we think of that force gamers to sit and farm side content endlessly just to be able to then farm specific drops from specific bosses a finite number of times per day? Oh right, games we aren't playing because Rift Prime's current system was better.

I literally resubbed for month two of Prime because the current expert vendors meant I knew exactly what order I was going to purchase things and knew exactly how much time I was going to have to invest. I resubbed because I knew exactly what my money is paying for.

I wonder how many other people resubbed because of the current system. I wonder how many won't do so again under the proposed system if they can't even get into new content within their subscription periods.
    Last edited by baitmask; 04-30-2018 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Because I do my best proofreading after I hit send.

People already kill only certain bosses. Look at the state of raiding. Farm IRCC to spend on another boss kill hoping for the piece of gear you need drops. Idk about spending iirc on any other bosses as I have 3 bows and 3 necks sitting in my personal bank that have dropped and when that happens I do not receive marks. I also have a full raid level tank set though I have not once tanked on my rogue. Again not receiving marks when I get gear drops. This because I am above the x2 a week reset level means I have to farm iirc to get a repeat drop at a not insignificant investment of time and energy to walk away with the same piece of gear I got yesterday. I cannot say I am a fan of that system.

To adss that will be the system that is going into expert dungeons.

Trion please do not make such drastic changes till the Storm Legion release so that everyone playing will continue to have the same experience.
    • Let players test this new drop system on the test server to make sure that your getting the desired results and we will all be happy to go back to running dungeons for Boss loot
    • When you make the above mentioned change, remove the IRC completely so that there is no penalty for running experts when and how we choose to. I know I personally can only run mass dungeons on weekends but I have to do every one rather than just queuing randoms and being penalized by using my IRC tokens. If your going back to the old system then go back to the old system
    • Make drops from zone events appropriate for the level of the player so that all will participate across the entire map rather than just Stillmoor and Shimmersand

Can't you see we want a reason to continue to play and enjoy Rift. Please don't make huge changes unless its a break fix. While I totally support the intended changes as a goal for Storm Legions release, it really does negatively effect the community to make them midstream when we are all working on getting into raids now.

so here is what I see going wrong with this change coming in now

gear drops needed by individual players will all come from different bosses across all the expert dungeons

you will have many players who only seek to farm this dungeon or another now just to get to the pieces THEY need and will be hesitant to helping in any other dungeons in an effort to make the most productive progression they can

when we got marks players just farmed the currency and everyone benefited from getting gear they need from vendors

what we will see now is going to be fluctuating all over, some people will waste time in order to be decent humans and help others farm dungeons they can gain no benefit from, meanwhile those who had not begun to gear up from the vendors yet will be a little ways out beyond the GSB release, and at that time players who cannot get anyone to help them farm the piece or two of dungeon gear they still need will finally have the help they need

this change if anything is going to create a gap between fully geared players who are already in end game raids and the players still trying to gear up to the standard needed to pass entry and succeed in a raid beyond a mere stat quota

those not in end game now are going to be greatly slowed by this change, Prime is starting to look less like a challenge server and more like a P2P venture seeking to replace F2P when it gets to the same stage as its predecessor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast