+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Request to rename the shard "Virgil"

Rift Disciple

Default Request to rename the shard "Virgil"

from the wikipedia page on Virgil...

Publius Vergilius Maro (Classical Latin: [ˈpuː.blɪ.ʊs wɛrˈɡɪ.lɪ.ʊs ˈma.roː]; traditional dates October 15, 70 BC – September 21, 19 BC[1]), usually called Virgil or Vergil (/ˈvɜːrdʒɪl/) in English, was an ancient Roman poet of the Augustan period. He wrote three of the most famous poems in Latin literature: the Eclogues (or Bucolics), the Georgics, and the epic Aeneid. A number of minor poems, collected in the Appendix Vergiliana, are sometimes attributed to him.[2][3]

Virgil is traditionally ranked as one of Rome's greatest poets. His Aeneid has been considered the national epic of ancient Rome since the time of its composition. Modeled after Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, the Aeneid follows the Trojan refugee Aeneas as he struggles to fulfill his destiny and reach Italy, where his descendants Romulus and Remus were to found the city of Rome. Virgil's work has had wide and deep influence on Western literature, most notably Dante's Divine Comedy, in which Virgil appears as Dante's guide through Hell and Purgatory.
    I don't know what that has to do with anything, but it was worth a try.
    Last edited by Artifa; 04-16-2018 at 06:29 PM.
    Climate
    50 Mage - Virgil

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Artifa View Post
    from the wikipedia page on Virgil...

Publius Vergilius Maro (Classical Latin: [ˈpuː.blɪ.ʊs wɛrˈɡɪ.lɪ.ʊs ˈma.roː]; traditional dates October 15, 70 BC – September 21, 19 BC[1]), usually called Virgil or Vergil (/ˈvɜːrdʒɪl/) in English, was an ancient Roman poet of the Augustan period. He wrote three of the most famous poems in Latin literature: the Eclogues (or Bucolics), the Georgics, and the epic Aeneid. A number of minor poems, collected in the Appendix Vergiliana, are sometimes attributed to him.[2][3]

Virgil is traditionally ranked as one of Rome's greatest poets. His Aeneid has been considered the national epic of ancient Rome since the time of its composition. Modeled after Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, the Aeneid follows the Trojan refugee Aeneas as he struggles to fulfill his destiny and reach Italy, where his descendants Romulus and Remus were to found the city of Rome. Virgil's work has had wide and deep influence on Western literature, most notably Dante's Divine Comedy, in which Virgil appears as Dante's guide through Hell and Purgatory.

I don't know what that has to do with anything, but it was worth a try.
    The server is called "Vigil" and was opened shortly before Easter. I find the name twice suitable. On the one hand one can associate the Name with the "Vigile" of the Ascended, and on the other hand with the Easter vigil in the night.

Edit:You have written the server name mistakenly as "Virgil" in your note: Climate 50 Mage - Virgil
    You should correct it.
    Last edited by Maelya; 04-16-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Rift Disciple

It was obviously posted in jest.

So there is a religious basis on the name of the server in addition to lore reasoning? Very interesting indeed.

Brasse seemed to think it was funny on the live stream. Its unfortunate that you disagree.
    Last edited by Artifa; 04-16-2018 at 09:28 PM.
    Climate
    50 Mage - Virgil

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Artifa View Post
    It was obviously posted in jest.

So there is a religious basis on the name of the server in addition to lore reasoning? Very interesting indeed.

Brasse seemed to think it was funny on the live stream. Its unfortunate that you disagree.
    I had not seen the Livestream and if Brasse had suggested the change in "Virgil" for fun, then I could not know this.
    I also had not written, that the name "Vigil" is religious. As you wrote before you edit your text. I simply wrote he fits because the server was also opened in the period.
    And after your editi now: Yes I think the name fits on the base of the Vigilie. That is only my opinion. I am sorry, if you do not like my opinion.
    Last edited by Maelya; 04-16-2018 at 09:59 PM. Reason: I wrote my answer, before and while Artifa edited the contribution.

Rift Disciple

Sorry, I didn't mean to be mean to you, that's why I edited. I received an inbox notification just before reading your post that set me off a bit!
    Climate
    50 Mage - Virgil

Can we just not?
    It's all in the reflexes.

+ Reply to Thread