+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ethaar
  • 1 Post By aileen
  • 1 Post By Ethaar

Thread: Pyromaster Cortilnald WAI? (normal LH)

  1. #1
    Telaran Ethaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    62

    Default Pyromaster Cortilnald WAI? (normal LH)

    I've tanked this one on Warrior and Cleric and seen a few other people tank it. Only when I and one other tanked him as Justicars were we able to have aggro right after he ports down and I believe it was due to DoL spam during the add phase (fighting in that small room underneath the boss). All other tanks and me on VK were simply unable to get aggro before the healer got nuked with Fireballs. Cortilnald is immune to taunts after porting down. Healer LOSing the boss until I grab aggro worked for us once or twice. What I think is going on is the healer generates a fair bit of healing threat during the add phase and I just cannot outdo them. Wouldn't be a problem if the boss could be taunted. Is this really working as intended and I'm simply missing something? What am I missing?

    Slightly related - if you kite the boss around that little room used to kill adds at the start, he may fall through the floor and end up one floor down. If you're lucky you can just leave and reenter and kill him downstairs.

  2. #2
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Hey bro,

    yea once he ports down you have to be ready as a tank. Ive tanked the expert version quiet a few times;

    My advice is not to panic. Just keep an eye out ofr him at all times. If you are grouping up the adds in the small hut area, you should be able to just run out and taunt- which brings me to the next point; I havent experiened him being immune to taunts. My mage taunt works just fine on him!

    Also, a single fireball shouldnt kill your healer! But having your healer LoS should give you a few extra seconds to pick him up.
    Vigil Player - Unluckiest[Mage Tank/Dps]

  3. #3
    Prophet of Telara aileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    Recent update caused an error on him and somehow he is immune to all kind of taunts for both expert and normal version.
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    Addons updated for 4.3: RiftMeter, BiSCaL, RiftActionBarCooldowns, GCDDisplay
    Gadgets 0.11, updated for 4.3
    Softcap values for current prime
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

  4. #4
    Telaran Ethaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    62

    Default

    That would explain what's happening. I've just gone there again and recorded this short video to illustrate what I'm talking about:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLjoMc3KEXA

    When he vanished at 0:20 I expected him to have bugged out and ported downstairs, hence the hesitation.

    I forgot to use the AE taunt in here, but I went in again with my Justicar (not wanting to put anybody else through this experience again) and tested it and the boss was immune to both the single target and the AE taunt.

    Sidenote: On subsequent attempt I switched to Pala which I respecced to fully buff the two heals. It worked surprisingly well for grabbing initial aggro in the add phase, but when the boss activated it was on the healer and we wiped as per usual.

    I suppose this thread should be in the Bugs section, then.

  5. #5
    Telaran Sarrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aileen View Post
    Recent update caused an error on him and somehow he is immune to all kind of taunts for both expert and normal version.
    That's fine, but why can a Riftstalker grab aggro right away from the healer while a VK/Paladin sits there and cannot? I had a RS guildy test his 3 second taunt and he confirmed the immunity as well, but he pulled aggro off the healer instantly and held it the rest of the fight.

    That video Ethaar posted has been EXACTLY my experience in there each time I tank as a Warrior. All tanks should be generating aggro equally in that respect. Warriors can get the aggro eventually, but it's usually AFTER the healer is dead.

    FYI, not yelling at your comment aileen, it just struck me as not necessary to have to taunt him using those abilities when a RS can grab aggro so easily. But the fact that they are broken...this shizz is losing it's shine...

  6. #6
    Telaran Ethaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    62

    Default

    I suppose the image of the fight shown in the video is slightly skewed as I focused on demonstrating taunt immunity instead of doing my best to grab aggro. I managed to grab aggro before the healer died two, maybe three times. That always involved Latent Blaze proccing, me intercepting one of the hits and using Rift Shield on the healer. That's 3-4 Fireballs that the healer could survive. The other times either the healer died or the boss bugged out by teleporting one floor down when the healer was LoSing Fireball. Now it might be that I'm just not a very good tank, but seeing as I don't have threat issues anywhere else (while a lot of people report warriors having threat issues), my assumption was that I'm either missing a mechanic here or the fight isn't working as intended.

    EDIT: Next time I do this I'll ask the healer to not heal me during the add phase and pop a Touch of Life. Paladin - the poor man's Justicar.
    Last edited by Ethaar; 04-04-2018 at 11:15 PM.

  7. #7
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    283

    Default

    What Aileen posted is basically spot on. The patch resulted in him becoming taunt immune. Certain classes have abilities to generate aggro while he's up there - i.e. Cleric DOL spam.

    This is still manageable as a Warrior so long as you coordinate with your healer. The easiest method is to advise your healer not to actually cast any heals during the add phase and to use your Touch of Life once you reach an appropriate health percentage. You'll then generate the necessary heal aggro to ensure he focuses on you when he comes down. Alternatively you can survive this fight as a healer by simply LoSing his casts.
    Last edited by Voldeth; 04-05-2018 at 03:50 AM.
    Voldeth FixWarriors - Sin Filled Afterlife - Guild Leader

  8. #8
    Telaran Sarrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Voldeth View Post
    This is still manageable as a Warrior so long as you coordinate with your healer. The easiest method is to advise your healer not to actually cast any heals during the add phase and to use your Touch of Life once you reach an appropriate health percentage. You'll then generate the necessary heal aggro to ensure he focuses on you when he comes down. Alternatively you can survive this fight as a healer by simply LoSing his casts.
    NOT VERY VANILLA...

    and on a separate note, does anyone actually remember fighting the trash in that room 7 years ago? I always remember just staying in the center of the room and dodging fire.
    Last edited by Sarrath; 04-05-2018 at 11:33 AM.

  9. #9
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aijate View Post
    Just when Frostkeeper healed a warrior tank at the second boss, no one died, no support was needed. The solution works for everyone, even at Noobtanks, just seen.

    1. No Earthen barrier on tank. (Produces extremely aggro no matter where)
    2. Tank needs to get the aggro of all adds.
    3. Healer may use only minor healing, and NO oh **** heal.
    So heal homeopathic, not with the big clubs.

    Thus, as a healer, I had little or no aggro. Finished.
    Not Buggy, only Mechanic.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-prim...lute-mess.html

  10. #10
    Prophet of Telara aileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarrath View Post
    That's fine, but why can a Riftstalker grab aggro right away from the healer while a VK/Paladin sits there and cannot? I had a RS guildy test his 3 second taunt and he confirmed the immunity as well, but he pulled aggro off the healer instantly and held it the rest of the fight.

    That video Ethaar posted has been EXACTLY my experience in there each time I tank as a Warrior. All tanks should be generating aggro equally in that respect. Warriors can get the aggro eventually, but it's usually AFTER the healer is dead.

    FYI, not yelling at your comment aileen, it just struck me as not necessary to have to taunt him using those abilities when a RS can grab aggro so easily. But the fact that they are broken...this shizz is losing it's shine...
    Oh I didn't notice you quote me, threat for each tank is working different, clerics basically having easy way of generating aggro like Voldeth mentioned spamming DoL, throwing hammers etc. Riftstalker has very generic aura which you get after using any blink (plane shift) which is doing insane amount of threat but sometimes it's not even enough, warriors generating aggro by using some kind of combos so maybe thats the issue but recently RR was measuring threat and ae threat of classes so maybe we can expect some kind of adjustments on it.
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    Addons updated for 4.3: RiftMeter, BiSCaL, RiftActionBarCooldowns, GCDDisplay
    Gadgets 0.11, updated for 4.3
    Softcap values for current prime
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

  11. #11
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarrath View Post
    NOT VERY VANILLA...

    and on a separate note, does anyone actually remember fighting the trash in that room 7 years ago? I always remember just staying in the center of the room and dodging fire.
    Yup, in vanilla we did it in the middle of the room. Apparently all the old strats have been deleted on help sites and new one are being developed. Tho the old strats probably still work.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts