+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: The Questing XP Problem: Why People Are Annoyed

Shadowlander

Default The Questing XP Problem: Why People Are Annoyed

I'm not here to gripe, or complain that I want easy XP. I merely want to lay out some info, so that people can come to grips with the problem we are facing as we break into the 30-40s. Given that I couldn't find an actual database for how many quests each zone had, I bench marked it based on my experience thus far. I've observed most zones have about 10-15 more quests than required to get their zone achievements. Given that I'm well past halfway to 50, it seems there is enough data for averaging things out, coupled with conversations from people in my guild who are beyond 40 at the moment.

Quests Counts: (For Defiants, Anyway)
    Freemarch: 88
    Stonefield: 73
    Searing Gorge: 38
    Scarwood Reach: 84
    Moonshade Highlands: 75
    Droughtlands: 108
    Iron Pine Peak: 98
    Shimmersand: 136
    Stillmoor: 73

Total: 773

Extras, free march has about 96 quests, so +8 over the zone requirement, but there is some variance, so giving Trion as much slack as I can. 15 quests per zone Added.

773 + (9x15) = 868 approximate quests one can do from 1-50.

Average quest XP ends up around 2700 (actually it's a bit lower, but giving as much slack as possible again). Higher levels get a bit more, lower levels get a bit less. However there isn't much variance in this number.

So, 868 x 2700 = 2,343,600.

XP Required per level in the late 20s? 202k/lvl

2,343,600/202,000 = 11.6 levels. That means at say... 27, if I were to do every quest available in the game would get me to just under level 38. (Not accounting for how much XP you'll need for each level after that level, for instance 35+ it's about 450k/500k lvl (quests only give ~2,200 xp at this point)

So as a mid level character I can do every single quest in the game, and it would only account for 11.6 levels. That also only gets you 11.6 levels if each level was 202k experience. It actually ends up being a lot less than 11 levels, however that involves more math than I care to get into. This crude example does enough to illustrate just how terrible the state of questing is.

Further Information: http://rift.wikia.com/wiki/Experience_to_Level - Here is what XP used to be, meaning the new xp per lvl rates are more than double the old rate, and the curve increases on the path to 50 even beyond that.
    Last edited by Anaksul; 03-12-2018 at 06:01 PM.

People are resorting to dungeon groups that clear trash as fast as possible, leave, reset, repeat. That should be all that needs to be said to illustrate that there is a serious issue with leveling.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    People are resorting to dungeon groups that clear trash as fast as possible, leave, reset, repeat. That should be all that needs to be said to illustrate that there is a serious issue with leveling.
    Agreed, I was just laying it out there for all of the people still trying to insist that questing is fine/viable, and seems oblivious as to why some people are peeved and starting to quit.

So like you mentioned xp values for per level changed and not same as classic rift, not to mention most quest exp is either same or lowered like this it used to give 2970 exp but on prime it gives 2079 exp.

Also since they boosted exp coming from rifts, invasions etc most people abandoned dungeons and quests actually since they give more exp, like at level 40 killing a foothold on 33+ area gives around 3.5k exp while most quests still giving 2.5k ish exp, per invasion gives 1k exp and closing rifts give around 1.5k to 4k exp depending rift, so this is not so much different than levelling via instant adventures only difference is you just run around whole zone to close another rift and most people on this farm groups mostly leechers and getting no clue about game or its mechanics so same as instant adventurers.

Today I had such guy in my dungeon group a low level one, i was doing it for loot reset and i tanked Twyl as it should be done prior to pull guy told me kite him and i explained boss is cleaving so kiting is useless ill just stand still where he comes and you spread to avoid frost bolt mechanic, in the end guy told me "you bugged boss" and ignored me.

This is one of the side effects of such kind of levelling, of course all of the stuff are part of the game but people literally getting zero clue of the game and its mechanics by leeching those invasions and rifts.
    Last edited by aileen; 03-12-2018 at 08:15 PM.
    RemoveBuff a simple addon for replacing cancelbuff command.
    Addons updated for 4.3: RiftMeter, BiSCaL, RiftActionBarCooldowns, GCDDisplay
    Gadgets 0.11, updated for 4.3
    Softcap values for current prime
    a.k.a Aileenbor <Special Olympics> @ Icewatch

Telaran

I think the biggest problem here is that there is no explanation for this change from the original 50 levels to now, the Prime 50. The last answer we got is that Trion will use a Chisel and hammer to fix, but they used a Mack truck to change to what it is.
    Last edited by Devilokk; 03-13-2018 at 06:15 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Devilokk View Post
    I think the biggest problem here is that there is no explanation for this change from the original 50 levels to now, the Prime 50. The last answer we got is that Trion will use a Chisel and hammer to fix, but they used a Mack truck to change to what it is.
    There are two explanations for XP being where it currently is.

1. The XP curve is carbon copied from live where being a Patron + Using 160% XP pots is heavily "encouraged" by otherwise making the game... well as grindy as prime is now. Which generally falls in line the with 200% increase over what retail release was for XP for each level, and the current state of the game is just an oversight because the passive patron XP + pots aren't available to make up for the doubled XP required.

2. Trion did this intentionally to artificially lengthen the leveling process so that they can make the content last as long as possible by artificially gating the time to max level, and forcing people into a grind.

I'm hoping that it is just an oversight, and they will bring the XP curve in line with the retail vanilla release. I am praying against all hope it's not the latter option, because that will pretty much spell out the death of prime. People won't remain interested/engaged after their 10,000th rift to get to 50, just so that they can level through SL in a few months. I'm pretty hardcore, most of my guild is pretty hardcore, and makes up the vast majority of the servers top level players at the moment. Burnout is already starting to hit the ranks pretty hard, so I can't imagine how more lax/casual mindset players will feel once they feel the weight of the mid 20's - 50.

Hopefully it's addressed with tomorrow's patch, before the death spiral begins.
    Last edited by Anaksul; 03-13-2018 at 06:44 AM.

King of Slackers

XP farming?

Keepro - King of Slackers - NewHorizons - Contend
    Youtube
    Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Anaksul View Post
    Further Information: http://rift.wikia.com/wiki/Experience_to_Level - Here is what XP used to be, meaning the new xp per lvl rates are more than double the old rate, and the curve increases on the path to 50 even beyond that.
    I thought something felt...off.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Anaksul View Post
    There are two explanations for XP being where it currently is.

1. The XP curve is carbon copied from live where being a Patron + Using 160% XP pots is heavily "encouraged" by otherwise making the game... well as grindy as prime is now. Which generally falls in line the with 200% increase over what retail release was for XP for each level, and the current state of the game is just an oversight because the passive patron XP + pots aren't available to make up for the doubled XP required.

2. Trion did this intentionally to artificially lengthen the leveling process so that they can make the content last as long as possible by artificially gating the time to max level, and forcing people into a grind.

I'm hoping that it is just an oversight, and they will bring the XP curve in line with the retail vanilla release. I am praying against all hope it's not the latter option, because that will pretty much spell out the death of prime. People won't remain interested/engaged after their 10,000th rift to get to 50, just so that they can level through SL in a few months. I'm pretty hardcore, most of my guild is pretty hardcore, and makes up the vast majority of the servers top level players at the moment. Burnout is already starting to hit the ranks pretty hard, so I can't imagine how more lax/casual mindset players will feel once they feel the weight of the mid 20's - 50.

Hopefully it's addressed with tomorrow's patch, before the death spiral begins.

The 3rd and most probable explanation in my opinion is that they were not ready to launch. They should have spent another month or two fixing bugs and adjusting things, but they cornered themselves into a early spring launch. They realized too late it was not near enough time so they intentionally butchered the exp rates in order to try and buy another week or two at max level.

Why else would you more than double the initial grind to 50 on a progression server designed to condense the content. Artificial gate #1. Artificial gate #2 is the crap dungeon loot system designed for live where you can buy recharge coins. Can't wait to see what Artificial gate #3 is.
    Last edited by Lakkin; 03-13-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Aren't the exp requirements per level on Prime the same as the current live servers? I don't think this was an intentional move, I think it was simply an oversight. Live servers have a multitude of bonuses and other methods of leveling that are not available on Prime which is where the issue comes from. I don't even know if it's possible to change the level exp requirements on Prime without also doing it for live servers so they might have to add a flat modified to all exp gains on the server or something instead.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Rift Disciple

I admittedly know nothing about live, so that could be possible. Conspiracy theory is more fun though.

Shadowlander

xp is definitely still off by a mile but i'm pretty sure Trion isn't doing it intentionally. The rush to 50 on my shard during launch had people already hitting 50 or in their 40s by now a week later. They just need to boost questing experience to match rift farming and it would be good to go. A easy fix would be the carnage quests to start with. Grinding rifts is pretty much the only current option to catch up levels right now and that is tedious after awhile and mind-numbingly boring.

Rift Disciple

They are adjusting it. For example they just reverted all the XP buffs to Invasions/Footholds/Rifts so they are back to live values. (Back to Original Prime Values before they were buffed.)

Half of what they have been for the past few days.
    Last edited by Lakkin; 03-13-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Lakkin View Post
    They are adjusting it. For example they just reverted all the XP buffs to Invasions/Footholds/Rifts so they are back to live.
    So there are buffed more or nerfed to original prime rate?
    Silver Coast Buccaneers

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Lakkin View Post
    They are adjusting it. For example they just reverted all the XP buffs to Invasions/Footholds/Rifts so they are back to live values. (Back to Original Prime Values before they were buffed.)

Half of what they have been for the past few days.
    They did that days ago and it hasn't made anywhere near enough of a difference. But why buff Rifts? That's basically saying..."we'd rather you do Rifts than these boring quests"

Fix the per level XP or buff the Quest XP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast