+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree87Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Hammerknell was deleted?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by BigDataDude View Post
    Dood, that has nothing to do with it, like really.

what are you talking about ? A game is built by assets, data and code. All of which can be checked in to a version control system.

yes, and databases too.

Unless they didn't do it.. which is very unlikely. Unless you are saying that your 1000 integer fields take up too much space to version control .. LOL
    Last edited by shabushabu; 04-04-2018 at 07:16 AM.

2.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #47
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by shabushabu View Post
    what are you talking about ? A game is built by assets, data and code. All of which can be checked in to a version control system.

yes, and databases too.

Unless they didn't do it.. which is very unlikely. Unless you are saying that your 1000 integer fields take up too much space to version control .. LOL
    First, of course there is version control.

You can't just take something from years ago and force it to fit what is currently in place, yes even databases.

Schema changes over time happen. Queries may need to change, field can be added, removed, or altered in some way over the years and versions.

So while you may be able to access what it was years ago it certainly doesn't mean you can copy/paste it into the current code base and it all magically work.

A game is that is built by assets, data and code in 2013 will usually not fit what you have 5 years later in 2018. That is what I am talking about.

Soulwalker

First, of course there is version control.

You can't just take something from years ago and force it to fit what is currently in place, yes even databases.

Schema changes over time happen. Queries may need to change, field can be added, removed, or altered in some way over the years and versions.

So while you may be able to access what it was years ago it certainly doesn't mean you can copy/paste it into the current code base and it all magically work.

A game is that is built by assets, data and code in 2013 will usually not fit what you have 5 years later in 2018. That is what I am talking about.
    Sure, i am not saying its a simple as a Git pull and you update and off you go, but it is nowhere near as complex as you are suggesting.

Tuning would likely be an issue as we have souls and such that are 2018 versions.
    Assets should be fine.
    Scripts should be fine.

Unfortunately, in the end its work for Trion and they have quite a bit on their hands already with the ability lag, class balancing issues.

4.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #49
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by shabushabu View Post
    Sure, i am not saying its a simple as a Git pull and you update and off you go, but it is nowhere near as complex as you are suggesting.
    I guess you understand the problem better than I do..

I am not on the Rift team so I have nothing to do with balance or anything else..

In order to get a copy of the original HK back you will have to very literally copy every single element from the HK zone all the way down to the lowest level and remap them all to new IDs from the top to the bottom level.
    This is what should have been done when HK was updated in the first place. Who overwrites original assets like that. It would have taken minimal additional effort at the time to port to new objects instead of modifying the original. Now it would take similar amount of time it took to port HK initially to revert the changes which understandably they don't have the resources now.

I guess they weren't accounting for prime or ever using the old HK again but wow, that's basic development procedure.

Edit: As people have mentioned apparently they have the old version in source control. And his concern is valid with reverting a database migration. They would have to modify the assets to fit any schema changes which might be difficult. It seems they less overwrote the original HK and instead failed to maintain it as they updated the game and now it's a lot of work to bring it up to compatibility.
    Last edited by TadaceAce; 04-04-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by TadaceAce View Post
    This is what should have been done when HK was updated in the first place. Who overwrites original assets like that. It would have taken minimal additional effort at the time to port to new objects instead of modifying the original. Now it would take similar amount of time it took to port HK initially to revert the changes which understandably they don't have the resources now.

I guess they weren't accounting for prime or ever using the old HK again but wow, that's basic development procedure.

Edit: As people have mentioned apparently they have the old version in source control. And his concern is valid with reverting a database migration. They would have to modify the assets to fit any schema changes which might be difficult. It seems they less overwrote the original HK and instead failed to maintain it as they updated the game and now it's a lot of work to bring it up to compatibility.
    No one knows for sure if they have it in source control. You would think before they changed HK, they would have checked in the code, scripts, assets and DB schemas to source control or backed it up. ( commonplace in SW development for the last 20+ years ).

But they may have just deleted it and made a new one in version control, if they deleted it as intimated in the OP, then it is gone.

Rift Disciple

I'll just throw my worthless 2 cents in here.

1. I believe they leveled up HK because it was absolutely the best raid they put into this game every and they hoped it would be great for the game and for nostalgia if they were to make a playable version at the current level.

2. I would be 100% shocked if Rift Team had any real plans of releasing Prime 5 years ago... I would not be back here playing if it had not been for prime and i played for a very long time prior to FTP and even after...

I'm happy Rift prime is back, although i wish it was a bit more "vanilla" than it is, i'm very happy with what it is atm. I hope they do bring back a lvl 50 version of HK though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4