+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Burninalways

Thread: Karuulalert Guide

Default Karuulalert Guide

Karuulalert is a addon which you can get from Curse or Twitch.

Karuulalert already as an in-game guide if you didn't know.
    Click on Help then on Contents, and a new box will appear with information to help use the addon.

If that is not for you, or hurts your eyes, I'll be going though most of the information in this guide step by step.

You can open the addon screen by typing /kalert into your chat or make a macro of the command.
    However in order to close the addon screen you have to click on the X at the top right.

Creating
    If you intend to create your own alerts you should have the addon scan all of your abilities once you enter the game.
    You do this by ticking the box Enable Ability Scanner as shown it the picture below, right side at the bottom corner

Though this is not enough you have to show it all the abilities you want it to know.
    • If your leveling best to have it active all the time so it scans everything you encounter, from yourself to other player to npcs. Though when you log off and log back in you will need to tick the box again.
    • If your at Level Cap switch between your different roles, or show it max soul points in each soul.

It will say it has learned an ability in General chat tab:

Importing
    Now if you want to copy someones Kalart there 3 ways this can happen:

Click on File, then click on Import Alert or Import Set.
    Copy the code from it's source then paste it into the box, and click Import.

Importing and Sharing doesn't require you to know abilities for the image to be displayed correctly.

Import Alert
    Which is for single kalert which can be identified by name of the ability in the code at the start.

Code:
    KA:Spotter's Call:aKyDreNpVj0FLxDAQhf9Kbl7CmnbdrjCnNWmhHkTWeisso5lqICYliSz99
    04ED/INzMwbeI+BBiZYPW6UdgXTBxWoysC8rLEUSjdZaPRe6phStGSFoYVCJjl6//3lAhbim0URF
    /FIccVkNzl9xhRylcZE8tkFYeI1yP+WcBqMbh96c+oPh2Z/NBoUp9dsxZzdUsBgwdv5dZzxzXlXt
    ot7jyHPeMVEgXK+qGZnbYbu7h6OXQvcuBoGdP809ec6qV/2ih+b/uS2bh1HtTD8AHvTUgs
    This one is called Spotter's Call, and it's one most advance kalerts I can create.

It will track: Spotter's Call, Illuminate, Coda of Jeopardy, Corroded Defense, Piling On, and Thorns of Ire
    Showing you if any are active and how long they lasts on the enemy.

Most guides will not do a single kalert for each ability; they will do a whole set of them which I will describe next.

Import Set
    Which is a whole collection of kalerts, it's far larger than a single alert and has no names to it.

Code:
    KA::Anv2UeNqlVF1vmzAU/Su8VHthHV+BRH4CA1qnrqqS7K1S5MAlWCU2ss3SSPvxuyb9WKe2ooo
    cIWKu773n+Nwzu3Bu26PmFeuIT9ak79gR1KVhagdm3ClxrQB6LnZOqRjvzNFNdQvCyaEBocGlsma
    ObBwqD0zVvAJ3feDCoYPR7vdBKUwuwMkUsKp16aA02OjHXCSNkxkt516UZ0lOgyQgHta1VT1cS94
    YkjPDvt39urpjW95xc9zwSgp9V9lUG9lsmlOqy7rWJPE8ksQBieb25+MitLhZF0v75o8r9BDW+mk
    7sP9iLBeQ8k+q9lIhsO3QNB/w8ZOpe4vhSsBvbh67cm85qMrStGqlca/5rjViZG1QR/fNIyRNFpk
    fhEmQ0tBPkySZDB4eeqnhAOxegNb+iH3hRWdgTy6cGym+fkIOFBsZ9r3hUrhUDfttZ3eXoLk2TKA
    Oni/7VeSjXHKMUtj7JLX8kwBJK4tssUhKmhZREMf55xVTvaQ7qWYWnMHcbDJz1DI0SqTniht3DQK
    2istBj3RINTK04jveWdSnKO3+d4ykUUJpHpWR5+Ez9xaTGdCtkkNtKWA7KU4jM/fOBE+xJ4e29so
    nDE3xYEDtuWAj1pwNwnQoA2dlFL8H9xpMyzrnVnKNn988hJ4RhVFW4rzEYRmH82wy/gZTdHqsFJz
    An3Xzq14abOyLdijrPhyZV4E4A0rJGupnD73qumGE92KnP0D26KdHd91KJfRoHgrQZdB55QFV8rp
    2WqJ7ZkWeFrOZH6KVTuaEoW2DdZGNd/KRGJl4lxNvXO9z8hes2gYh
    This has kalerts for tracking all support debuffs, and it's most advance set I have created.

It will track Spotter's Call (all versions), 5% Physical, Armor, 5% Non-Physical, 7% Non-Physical, and 5% Crit Chance
    Showing you if any are active and how long they lasts on the enemy.

Share Alert
    This requires someone from your party or raid group to give you their kalert.

They do this by right clicking on a kalert and click on Share Alert.
    Next an additional box will appear on the right side as shown the the picture below, and it will have a list of names.

All they have to do is click on a name and then click on the Share button on the bottom of the box.

However they can only share one kalert at a time, to one person at a time.

Sets and Subsets
    Next let's talk about where you should put these kalerts.

At the start of the game at Level 1 you have access to one Role.
    In the Karuulalert you will also only have one Set and one Subset, each time you get a new Role you get an additional Set & Subset.

However it may take a /reloadui or logging off & on to see and interact with these new Sets & Subsets.

Now what the difference between Sets & Subsets?

Sets
    This is where you want to put kalerts for each one of Roles, dividing your kalerts so you can easily see and change a kalert, and having too many it one set can cause problems to occur.

So Set 1 could be for Beastmaster kalerts, Set 2 Paragon, Set 3 Warchanter and so on.........

Subsets
    This is where you put kalerts you want to display not matter what Set you are using.

So if I put all the support debuff kalerts into Subset 1, then switch between Sets 1, 2 and 3.
    I would always see those support debuffs, if they are in use.

The way to manage these Sets is to do /kalert set=auto
    Which makes it so if you change to Role 1, you also change to Set 1 and if you change to Role 2, you also change to Set 2 and so on...

The trouble with this is while setting this up you won't know the order of your Roles.
    So when you change to a different Role, with set=auto enabled, open up Karuulalert to see which Set your Role is linked to.
    Add your kalerts and close Karuulalert, then start over with a different Role.

You can also create macros like /kalert set=1
    Then just press a macro every time you change roles.

Installing Roles another addon will also do the same thing as set=auto, however you can change which Set goes to which Role.

Name
    What do you want to call your Kalert.
    The ability your tracking, the boss it comes from or something else.....

However you can't use the exact same name twice in the same list of kalerts, so if you have kalerts of the same ability you have to change the name of what you will call one of them.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 05-25-2018 at 11:36 PM.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Default Creating Kalerts - Continued

Image Settings
    We are going to start off here as this section never changes, no matter what your doing.

In the picture above you have....

Layers
    This is if you want to stack multiple kalerts on top of each other, in the exact location or overlapping slightly.

When you create a new kalert the layer is defaulted to level 1 the base layer.
    Now if you create another kalert and set it to level 2 is will cover your first kalert, if you over lap them.

This can help save space on your screen if you know what your doing.

Disable Alert
    Says it all.
    It will stop the kalert from appearing, though you can see it in your list and edit it.

Use Default Image
    When you create a kalert from a known ability, which the Karuulalert has scanned, the image will change to what gets displayed.

If there are no known ability there are a selection of custom images already available, just un-tick the box and start browsing.

Custom

X & Y Axis
    When you create a new kalert they always appear at the top left corner of your screen.

It's best to to use Edit Layout to move it your desired location, clicking and holding it with your mouse and dragging it around.

Though I should mention that kalerts can drift from their position, however this very rarely happens.

After that you can use X & Y to make tiny adjustments to line everything up if you wanted to.

Scale
    This changes the size of the kalert.
    The default is always 1, I myself prefer 1.25 for role specific abilities while using 3 for raid killing mechanics.

Opacity
    This changes the density of the kalert.
    The default is 100, while changing it to zero will make the kalert invisible.

Text Settings
    This one also never changes, however takes a bit more effort to understand.

Text
    A word or number that you can put on the kalert to help track or identify a kalert like Cast, Active, Stop or Hide.

Also when creating a Buff kalert you have 2 additional options available to you.
    Both of which are hidden, all you need to do is click on the arrow.
    Then if you click on either of them, they will be inserted into the text box.

This is if you want to know who has applied a buff to the yourself or the enemy, by displaying their name on the kalert.
    However the size of the name won't shrink to fit inside the size of the kalert, so a long name could take up a lot of your screen.

This is if you want to know how many stacks are on the buff or debuff, by displaying a number which will auto update.
    This removes any need to create multiple kalarts of the same ability, and lining them up on top of each other with different numbers representing the stack number.

Opacity
    This changes the density of the text.
    The default is 100, while changing it to zero will make the text invisible.

Size
    This changes the size of the text.
    The default is 30, and if you increase the Scale of the kalert you may wish to the increase the text size to make it easier to see.

Also when using the {stacks} text and combining it with a timer, which we will talk about later, you will want to alter the size so they both fit on the kalert.

Where do you want the text to appear: Inside, Outside, Center, Top, Bottom, Left or Right

Font

Colour
    Sometimes your text will be hard to see so changing the colour will help most of the time.

For example Spotter's Call.
    If I left the colour white in the center it would be impossible to see, as the center of the icon is also white'ish.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 05-25-2018 at 11:37 PM.

Default Creating - Where to begin

Buff
    This is for any ability that will be displayed on yourself, an enemy, pet or focus.

Buff
    This is where you should always start when making the kalert.

If your Karuulalert has scanned multiple abilities, as your typing it bring up suggestions.
    As you get closer to the correct spelling the list will shorten, then all you need to do keep typing or click on the name of what your looking for.

Buff Length
    This is only if you have an ability that applies two versions of it's self while having different durations.

For example Hasty Inscription (Runeshaper) there are 2 abilities of the same name that will appear when I have 4 stacks of the buff.

The only difference between the two is the durations of the ability.
    The one that stacks has a duration of 20s while the other which makes an ability instant lasts 10s.

Self Cast
    Do you only want to see what you apply or what anyone can apply.

For example, on the bases of it's being an Active Kalert:
    • If I did tick the box and applied Healing Spray to myself, if anyone else applied Healing Spray I would only see my kalert in action.
    • If I didn't tick the box and and applied Healing Spray to myself, if anyone else applied Healing Spray the kalert would never disappear and I wouldn't know if mine had expired or not.
    • If I did tick the box and applied Vex to an enemy, if anyone else applied Vex I would only see my kalert in action.
    • If I didn't tick the box and and applied Vex to an enemy, if anyone else applied Vex the kalert would never disappear and I wouldn't know if mine had expired or not.
    • If I did tick the box and applied Spotter's Call to the enemy, if anyone else applied Spotter's Call my kalert would disappear.
    • If I didn't tick the box and and applied Spotter's Call to the enemy, if anyone else applied Spotter's Call the kalert would never disappear.

Loaction
    On who the ability will appear on.

Player is yourself, so any ability you want to track the gets applied to you.
    Target, whoever you target from a ally to an enemy or yourself.
    Focus, if you have /focus set up on an ally, enemy or self.
    Pet is Pet.

Friend & Foe
    Is the Target, Focus or Pet an ally or enemy.
    If un-ticked the kalert will show no matter what.

You will want to use this if left the Self Cast box un-ticked.

Active or Missing
    Active will display the kalert all the time while the ability is active.

You will also gain access to Timer Settings, below Text Settings.

Enabling you to add a duration to the kalert if the ability has one too.

Missing will display the kalert when the ability expires or removed.

You will gain access to Warning Settings, below Text Settings.

Enabling you to display the kalert with a duration of how long is left.

Stacks
    If the ability can stack when do you want to see the kalert.

Putting a number here will only show the kalert when the number of stacks is reached.

For example Hasty Inscription (Runeshaper) if you put 4 in the box you will only see the kalert when you have 4 stacks, and not at 1, 2 or 3 stacks.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 05-25-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Ability
    This is for abilities that are typically with cooldowns of 1 minute or more, it's your choice.

Ability

If your Karuulalert has scanned multiple abilities, as your typing it bring up suggestions.
    As you get closer to the correct spelling the list will shorten, then all you need to do keep typing or click on the name of what your looking for.

Ready & Cooldown
    Ready will display the kalert when the ability is not on cooldown.

You will gain access to Warning Settings, below Text Settings.

Enabling you to display the kalert with a duration of how before the ability is ready again.

Cooldown will display the kalert after you use the ability.

You will also gain access to Timer Settings, below Text Settings.

Enabling you to add a duration to the kalert, for how long is left on the cooldown.

Casting
    For casting and channeling abilities you want to tack.

Ability

However Npc abilities not show, only player abilities, though you can will making kalerts for them.

Here is an example of npc abilities: Duke's Warth & Prince's Wrath from Greenscale's Blight
    Code:
    KA::AhsDBeNrTcA92UlA21FRwKc1OVS9WCC9KLMmwNrQOsS7ISaxMLdIrSSxKTy2xNgGKuAEhijJ
    rA2uwoAEQZjvmpBaVWGfmJqanFsc4lhYl6hqa6aWkFFsbGpiZWpuamFobWhpBsB6QbW3t7OoX4ho
    EYhmCobEB2A6oMJhnBuQbWbvVaIBdaaKpEFCUmZdMjDvRFNLLpQAmzF9U

Interruptible Only
    If ticked this will only show the kalert if you can interrupt the ability that is casting or being channeled.

Player is yourself, so any ability you want to track the gets applied to you.
    Target, whoever you target from a ally to an enemy or yourself.
    Focus, if you have /focus set up on an ally, enemy or self.
    Pet is Pet.

Friend & Foe
    Is the Target, Focus or Pet an ally or enemy.
    If un-ticked the kalert will show no matter what.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 05-25-2018 at 07:42 AM.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Soulwalker

Thank you for your detailed guide of this addon

Shadowlander

HUGW thanks for this

Rift Disciple

you can add

/kalert set=auto

this will help you not have to switch sets between roles.

AMAZING GUIDE! thank you so much for taking the time to share this.. it actually cleared up some of the confusion i have had about a few things.

My hardest time is managing debuffs between single target and aoe. I have a macro with kalert subset=1 then 0 to swap during combat, but its not super efficient.
    Last edited by ace1623; 05-24-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Shadowlander

maybe you can add https://webcdn.triongames.com/addons/assets/ to your guide.
    sometimes Karuulalert can't find the icon of some proc that is in the tree (in my case it looses the Pacification icon from Paladin from time to time), in which case you can download every single image that Rift uses from that page.
    Last edited by Hendrikdawin; 05-25-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by ace1623 View Post
    you can add

/kalert set=auto

this will help you not have to switch sets between roles.

AMAZING GUIDE! thank you so much for taking the time to share this.. it actually cleared up some of the confusion i have had about a few things.

My hardest time is managing debuffs between single target and aoe. I have a macro with kalert subset=1 then 0 to swap during combat, but its not super efficient.
    Sorry but this needs a HUGE downvote for newbs like me - now I cannot get my set 1 to work as Kalert defaults to set 4 (empty) for some reason......you may be (and seem to be) an expert at this but the alerts that took ages to set up are now totally useless again - gee thanks

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Hereward View Post
    Sorry but this needs a HUGE downvote for newbs like me - now I cannot get my set 1 to work as Kalert defaults to set 4 (empty) for some reason......you may be (and seem to be) an expert at this but the alerts that took ages to set up are now totally useless again - gee thanks
    Say what? all this does is change your "set" automatically to the role you choose. So if you dont role 4, it changes it to set 4. If you have a bunch of kalerts on Set 1, for role 2, then you need to copy them to role 2... or whatever fits your situation.

+ Reply to Thread