+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TadaceAce

Thread: Discussion: cooldown removal from low level tank aoes

Soulwalker

Default Discussion: cooldown removal from low level tank aoes

Short version: Devs please consider finding ways to work our other higher level no cooldown aoes back into our rotations.

At low level and for leveling up I 100% agree with this change. It's very hard to hold threat in leveling dungeons if you have a 5 or 8 second cooldown on your aoe, so this change is a good idea!

However, at high level we have other tools to fill the space of the cooldowns, and no changes were made to those skills, which means it feels like they will be removed from our rotations.

I play a Void Knight, so I will use it at as my example. At 16 we get tempest, and with a 5 second cooldown it frequently didn't work to hold threat. Now it has no cooldown, great! At 28 we get Ragestorm, which is modified by two other talents (Destructive Forces and Ambient Engorgement) to make it do bonus damage. Which makes it much more interesting from an aesthetic perspective. And if one of them has a cooldown, then we use both! and the world is good. But now Tempest generates more threat, hits more targets, has no cooldown, and doesn't consume my pacts. So why would I ever use Ragestorm?

I'm not a developer, so I don't want to presume to know what the right solution is. I think you were right that there needs to be a no cooldown aoe at an earlier level for all tanks, but if all the tanks are the same that makes them very bland. Maybe you could add a cooldown to Ragestorm so we still use it? 5 seconds to match Discharge in the single target rotation? Maybe It should be removed entirely, and Destructive forces made to effect tempest?

I don't play a rogue, but aren't they in a similar boat? Rift Disturbance at 16 is their previously 8 second cooldown aoe, but now that it's no cooldown, doesn't that make Planar Splash at 31 kind of useless? And wasn't it more interesting?

I'd love to hear some other tanks weigh in on this. I know it will be easier to hold threat now, but don't you still want your flavor abilities to be in there somewhere?

Kind of. I welcome the threat increase for rogue but it kind of throws a curveball int he way we play riftstalker because rift disturbance doesn't generate a combo point. We have two finishers that we basically have to maintain, guarded steel on myself and wrath of the planes on the enemy.

Planar splash will still be used to cause phantom blow to splash. We'll "get by" only using CP generated from our shifts or phantom blow but we might need to mix in builders. I haven't run anything yet so I'm just thinking out loud.

Overall I consider it a positive change, especially alongside the nerf to EB threat. Healers pulling aggro was 100% the main limiting factor to clear speed. Tanks being able to generate more aggro, even at the expense of tankiness, is a plus to me.
    Last edited by TadaceAce; 04-11-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Tanked a few experts today and i can confirm that rogue threat is significantly better now. There were no aggro issues outside of times where it was appropriate.

Rift Disciple

I consider Tempest and Rift Disturbance as purely threat generators, and your standard rotation remains the same, at low levels where threat is an issue you can spam these a few times at the start then just work back into your usual rotation.

If you find yourself losing threat then you'll weave these into your rotation but not inside a macro where you can throw it in there and mash one button, you'll have to put a little more thought into tanking as a rogue / warrior than before. Not ideal since you're usually worrying about numerous other things, but given time it'll become second nature.

One extra button in my tank specs (on live and prime) didn't break me. Giving any abilities a cool down now results in either a threat nerf or a nerf to damage / triggering other beneficial effects. Probably best left as a choice for the player, unless you're also going to give Tempest and Rift Disturbance No Global Cooldown tags, which would probably be too much?

+ Reply to Thread