+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Abyssal Precipice and Cleric Tanking.

Unhappy Abyssal Precipice and Cleric Tanking.

How do I do it? I'm level 48, and I can't tank Abyssal Precipice. I'm a Cleric tank and I can't keep aggro when my healer is doing 2-2.5k HPS. It's literally impossible. To maintain aggro I would have to tell my group to not attack for 3-5 seconds until I can build up enough aggro.

However, this seems counter-intuitive. I also feel super squishy even though I have around 22k HP. I have to pull small packs of mobs and pretty much blow some defensive cooldowns every time.

Earlier I said I couldn't maintain aggro, so a member of our group went tank. Rogue. She basically pulled giant groups of mobs and tanked with ease while maintaining aggro and our healer was doing over 2.7k HPS. We basically did the dungeon with ease up until the final boss.

Which by the way how is he possible? He basically just one-shots our entire group every time he does Hydro wave.

I've tried healing the dungeon as well as a Cleric and it felt the same way. Our tank died constantly so I eventually switched to tank. Am I missing something?

TL;DR - Can't tank Abyssal Precipice as a Cleric, can't heal it as a Cleric either.

Build Used - https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#...hll55FkEG8/n88

I'd take points out of Commitment and Unshakable Faith and put them in Light Makes Right, Healer's Creed and Dominance. More healing received will outdo the extra block absorption. You don't need the mana regen - it's only a nice perk in a 61 points build. More damage on Hammers will make aggro easier though I really don't see how a healer could pull aggro from a Justicar, unless it's a Rogue with Biofeedback. I've seen that thing generate crazy threat and rip aggro off Justicars right away.

I'm yet to get to that level with my Cleric, but as a Warrior tank at lvl 48 with around 21k HP I pulled groups as they stand (I think at the start it's usually 3 humanoids and 1 blob) and that was about as much as I could handle with a Purifier. Sometimes I had to rotate my CDs, but they are on a 1 min cooldown so they were always ready for the next pack (Paladin).

For the mobs in the caves - pulling more than one big guy + three small guys was painful. Pull them out of the cave to avoid accidentally aggroing those on the second floor and have a better view.

And the last boss - I pull him through the cave to that large, semi-open space where you had the second boss and some trash. Then I kite him around. It *seems* to reduce the frequency of his casts and make tank damage so minimal that I healed through all of it with Paladin heals and no healer. Thus - only an AE healer is required to heal up the group after the big AE. It's not a one-shot, but close enough. I tanked this on Paladin and healed on Liberator. Lib did a much better job at keeping the group alive than any other healer I've seen there.

I know not all of the above answers your questions directly, but I hope you can find something useful there.

That's who was pulling threat off of me. Twas a Rogue
    Last edited by Moignus; 04-05-2018 at 04:26 AM.

Fia

pull with aoe hammer, then dot your target and spread dot with aoe hammer, after that keep on spamming your aoe hammer every time it has at least 5 stacks.
    Fiia@Typhiria | Asthea@Hailol
    Cleric-Heal/Tank/DD | Lvl70

Now with new Prime Content! -> http://youtube.com/astheatv

Cleric is broken atm. Last place on any role.

Fia

Quote Originally Posted by Yamamoto View Post
    Cleric is broken atm. Last place on any role.
    Not really ... at lvl 50 maybe, I dunno yet.
    Last edited by Fia; 04-05-2018 at 07:12 AM.

Shadowlander

The only time I have had any difficulty maintaining aggro is one time when I failed to apply Mien of Leadership.

Must have been a rogue healer pulling aggro off. I switched my points around and have been doing better. Cleared CC but not AP yet. All my Random queues have been CC. The extra healing received and more damage on my AoE hammer really helps me maintain aggro.

What about healing? Even though this wasn't my thread topic I do like to heal every now and then. However, it seems like Cleric healing is meh, or am I just doing something wrong again. I imagine that's the case here.

Sounds like the same convo we had back in vanilla. This too will pass. Just gonna have to fight through it and scrape up those pieces of gear and a level or 2 and problem solves itself. Bad news this is not the last encounter where cleric tanking is not the best tank option if this follows the same course vanilla did.

Soulwalker

Pretty sure I was healing you. I was playing frostkeeper, which does ridiculous healing atm. It was hard not to heal huge amounts accidentally.

Fia

frostkeeper always has been a bit over the top. This is exactly why they should not have released prime with the new souls, it completely destroys the balance. :/

Fia

How about this build though?

https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#ln4/rkGGFkh9h10/n88

Focusses a bit more on damage. I hope it helps. (:

Shadowlander

I had the same issue until i unlock doctrine of authority, even though I was doing a perfect aoe rotation. With that skill all aggro issue disappeared.

Switching from defensive to a bit more offensive has helped a bit. I do look at this as a balancing issue.

At Level 50 you have so many cooldowns as a Cleric including Doctrine of Authority which probably helps immensely. Which as someone said helps their aggro greatly.

I'm level 49 now and have cleared AP and CC. What's super annoying now are a lot of these dungeons are overtuned. To the point where you have to cheese mechanics just to down bosses.

I just got done running Abyssal Precipice and on the last boss I ran her through the tunnel and kited her in a circle constantly so she never had time to "Hydro Blast". Because otherwise those skills one-shot people.

During Charmer's Caldera, the last boss is ridiculous. The problem isn't that she does 95% damage to two people as a result of her Bolt ability. It's the fact as a Cleric tank I can solo heal it and just keep battle rezzing people. So I'll battle rez the healer, he'll battle rez a DPS and so on and so forth. After 10-15 minutes the boss is finally downed. It feels cheap as hell, but it's the only way to do some of these fights.
    Last edited by Moignus; 04-06-2018 at 05:55 AM.

Soulwalker

Tbh I don't know how ppl as a cleric tank have issues with aggro. I tanked my entire way up to 50 and even in raid rifts with out ever having issues with aggro. All I do is pull with hammer of faith for multiple mobs or censure then hammer of faith. For singles just pull with Bolt of radiance then censure then my single target rotation macro button. Soon mobs get to me I even justice on AE packs to get my 7 convictions back and Boom hit a doc of loyalty. and all aggro is set. then i use evenjustice to stack my conv's and do a censure then hammer of faith then even justice then HoF rinse repeat..

If you think you might be losing aggro ever just do a DoL to set it again. its insane aggro.

Single target if you have issues holding aggro i dunno what to tell you. in raids i have to not heal at all or ill pull aggro off any tank there. Cleric tanks should not have any issues with aggro seeing how much you get. good thing about it is you dont even need hit capped to be crazy if you dont have great hit gear yet.

Range tanking aggro I.E. kiting the last boss in AP. Just use censure bolt and sanction heritic. then throw DoL's. ive yet to ever loose aggro on the squid dude kiting him.BTw he is easy if you have a bard with you to speed you up so he cant get in melee range to start a cast.

This is my build btw.. gives me the hp buff and ride lightning in sham. Purge and some other buffs from inq. Also 48 deep in justi for all the good stuff and cd's
    https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#...IGGl8laa4/n8l0
    Last edited by orajel; 04-07-2018 at 05:57 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast