+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MA Vs. Harbringer

Shadowlander

Default MA Vs. Harbringer

So I'm having some trouble deciding between the two here.

I know they are completely different, MA being ranged and HAR being melee.

Can someone kind of outline the pro's/con's for both?

Quote Originally Posted by DrWoo View Post

So far, MA is the best spec for levelling to 40. I say that because I am only level 39 atm. it just has more dps and heals currently. However, from 60-70 on live, ChloroHarb was the best solo spec in the game just about.

There is an issue a few years ago where Trion nerfed ChloroHarb based on the number of points you had in one of the souls, i am not sure if this is still a thing or not - and i don't remember what the actual number of points was that you had to have in that soul to get rid of the damage reduction. Im just level 39, so perhaps the MA / Harb issue changes in the 40's, i don't know. Up until 40, however, its MA hands down. Perhaps someone at 50 can provide the answer.

If you are in your teens or even level 20's - buy MA. By the time you do get in your 40's (if things change for Harb for the better) then you should have enough planarite to buy it by then.
    Last edited by EverydayAnomaly; 03-28-2018 at 09:21 AM.
    -Hello Kitty-
    Meepz@Deepwood
    Primalmeepz@Deepwood

Soulwalker

I flip between both since i find Harb more fun. But as much as i want it to be good it just doesn't compare to MA, no mage soul does for leveling.
    Harb is proc based and the build im using SC/Harb/Ele can dish out slightly higher dps on a single mod every now and again, MA is more consistent and has much better AoE.

But that's not what makes MA so good for leveling, what makes it good is that it you become almost immortal when using the buff Elemental Gifts.

How MA works is like this, you have attacks that spawn bolts for each target you hit, without the buff you pick them up and use them as ammo for other skills(1 is disabled and the other is garbage) With Elemental Gifts they deal a decent ammount of damage to random targets and heal you for the same ammount as the Harbringers 30second cooldown talent.
    They have short cooldown and since we have 3 of those attacks that's alot of healing you basically are your own pocket healer and sacrifice nothing for it. They even get better the more enemies you fight up to a breaking point.

It's completely broken.
    Last edited by Dryg; 03-28-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by DrWoo View Post

You do not really given any context as to 'for what' are you deciding. Warfront? Questing? Dungeons? Rifts?

In my opinion Elemental Gifts makes MA better for questing and rifts. Warfront could go either way, depending on the warfront and team. Dungeon's neither are really the best, off spec's.

In Dungeon's MA is a constant micro-management of turning gifts on and off, plus constant awareness of where you are shooting so you dont pull extra. So many of my random groups are plagued by MA's that cannot turn gifts on and off, they just run it with gifts on and wipe the group if the tank/healer isnt strong.
    Last edited by Nuum; 03-28-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Dryg View Post
    I flip between both since i find Harb more fun. But as much as i want it to be good it just doesn't compare to MA, no mage soul does for leveling.
    Harb is proc based and the build im using SC/Harb/Ele can dish out slightly higher dps on a single mod every now and again, MA is more consistent and has much better AoE.

But that's not what makes MA so good for leveling, what makes it good is that it you become almost immortal when using the buff Elemental Gifts.

How MA works is like this, you have attacks that spawn bolts for each target you hit, without the buff you pick them up and use them as ammo for other skills(1 is disabled and the other is garbage) With Elemental Gifts they deal a decent ammount of damage to random targets and heal you for the same ammount as the Harbringers 30second cooldown talent.
    They have short cooldown and since we have 3 of those attacks that's alot of healing you basically are your own pocket healer and sacrifice nothing for it. They even get better the more enemies you fight up to a breaking point.

It's completely broken.
    Hush! Lemme get to 50 first before you start talking out loud like that.
    -Hello Kitty-
    Meepz@Deepwood
    Primalmeepz@Deepwood

Shadowlander

The use/context of the question was mainly a general one... While yes 'fun" is subjective, it seems that both are fun and the harb is slightly more fun, but the MA is just a killing machine. I was mainly just curious about the ins and outs of the two.

Thanks for all the great input though, I think I'll just get the MA first, then get the harb next.

Thanks again.

Rift Master

Harb when paired with 6-8 points in Chloro is an absolutely survivable and enjoyable spec, but it does suffer a bit from lower damage than expected at level 40. I refuse to touch MA but those mages who aren't prejudiced like me may prefer to use it ;)

I never considered using Harb without Chloro, to be honest, so the idea of SC/Ele as an offsoul combination was interesting, but the first thought I had was that it sounded entirely too squishy for my tastes. That procced Bloom has been a literal lifesaver too many times.

Harb has many utilities -- interrupt, stun, 20m retreat, charge, snare, self heal -- so this is something to consider also when deciding whether to get it. It's such a useful useable spec, it's just not top damage.
    Iphigeneia // Jehan // Coriolana // Cytrine@Faeblight
    "Just because I'm mad doesn't mean I'm not right!" -Sylver Valis

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Iphigeneia View Post
    Harb when paired with 6-8 points in Chloro is an absolutely survivable and enjoyable spec, but it does suffer a bit from lower damage than expected at level 40. I refuse to touch MA but those mages who aren't prejudiced like me may prefer to use it ;)

I never considered using Harb without Chloro, to be honest, so the idea of SC/Ele as an offsoul combination was interesting, but the first thought I had was that it sounded entirely too squishy for my tastes. That procced Bloom has been a literal lifesaver too many times.

Harb has many utilities -- interrupt, stun, 20m retreat, charge, snare, self heal -- so this is something to consider also when deciding whether to get it. It's such a useful useable spec, it's just not top damage.
    I actually switched my chloro tree for SC around lvl35 and haven't looked back, i thought the heals were too weak and might aswell go for more offense and had an easier time leveling. It's not too squishy because of shields(Ice Shield from Ele and Insult to Injury talent) and the damage is way higher thanks to Icicle and Hailstorm from SC. SC also has some really potent passive talents, bit it IS a offese is the best defense sort of build. Suggest you give it a whirl if you ever want to try something more aggressive ;)

https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#gN12/S8BmG5ja5g/h88

Rift Master

Ah that spec has too many points spent in offsouls for my liking, I'm aiming for Tempest Winds so a 51 harb was always my goal. But that can still be easily achieved with a couple less points in SC as well. Thanks for the build link.
    Iphigeneia // Jehan // Coriolana // Cytrine@Faeblight
    "Just because I'm mad doesn't mean I'm not right!" -Sylver Valis

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Iphigeneia View Post
    I'm aiming for Tempest Winds so a 51 harb was always my goal. But that can still be easily achieved with a couple less points in SC as well.
    Oh yeah absolutely, that skill looks amazeing, but since respeccing is cheap and can be done on the fly i rather makes builds based on what's good right now(lvl42) and then just adjust them as i level up. Probably my favorite part of the game!
    Last edited by Dryg; 03-28-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Telaran

I was not having fun at all with Harb, because I used the preset build. I didn't realize that Lifegiving Veil was reducing my Harb dmg by 50%. Yes I could stay alive, but it was taking forever to kill mobs.

I respec'd to Harb/SC/Ele. I doubt I will touch my MA build now. Maybe I am playing MA wrong, I don't know. I take down single mobs so fast with Harb, there isn't any reason to go back to MA. I can pull more mobs with MA, but still takes a bit to kill them all. Maybe about equal total time, but I don't have to worry at all about mana or charge with Harb.

Planar Shield and Conditional Response keep me above 90% at all times. I am only lvl 38 right now, and have 10 pts in SC and 2 in Ele.

I am tempted to try a variation for WF's with 6 pts in Dom for Priest's Lament. I could see taking down healers pretty quick with the use of Blade Rush and Disabling Shock. Theory though, have not tested.

Editing: I will go back to MA for situational circumstances. MA is great for invasions or where you need to kill lot's at a time. It can be a pita though, when you pull more than intended.
    Last edited by Fearnada; 03-30-2018 at 03:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread