+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: [Guide]Mage Builds for PvE

Soulwalker

How would you approach gearing Arbiter? From what I've seen there is no cloth tank gear on any of the merchants, nor are there essences...sorry to kind of repeat the same question.

Quote Originally Posted by Koopatroopa006 View Post
    Why is Archon considered garbage? Just because of not having Flaring Power?
    Yes. Warrior's Beastmaster is the only other soul that has access to the same buff, and it gets that buff at 16 points. Archon is also a DPS-oriented support soul, but a very large part of its damage is locked behind 58 point skill, Archon's Bullwark. Essentially it doesn't do anything it's supposed to right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Urazial View Post
    Why 10 points in Harb for AoE spec?
    The biggest boost to DPS comes from %Spellpower talents, of which Frostkeeper, Harbinger, and Stormcaller are the only Mage souls that have that low in the tree. Stormcaller is capped out on points, so we grab the %Spellpower from Frostkeeper and Harbinger. This leaves 5 extra points, which is put into Harbinger to get the %Damage soul gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonrakerx View Post
    How would you approach gearing Arbiter? From what I've seen there is no cloth tank gear on any of the merchants, nor are there essences...sorry to kind of repeat the same question.
    There aren't any expert dungeon tank cloth pieces that can be purchased, but the personal loot you get from dungeons can be epic and tank oriented. Expert rifts will drop accessories that are Mage tank oriented.

If you are determined to tank in raids as Arbiter but can't afford to grind forever, then grab essences and accessories that are Int/Wis based, and have high Guard and Block. If that isn't available for that gear slot, then grab pieces that are high Intelligence, high Endurance. Your Guard is derived from your Intelligence, which is the most important tanking stat outside of Endurance. Healing is very overtuned right now, so it's not as important as it was in vanilla to be geared perfectly as a tank. Lots of Intelligence and lots of Endurance will be sufficient for raiding.
    Last edited by Scourge; 03-27-2018 at 01:02 AM.
    Focus@Vigil | 50 Mage
    Prime Mage Guide | Twitch.tv

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    If you are determined to tank in raids as Arbiter but can't afford to grind forever, then grab essences and accessories that are Int/Wis based, and have high Guard and Block. If that isn't available for that gear slot, then grab pieces that are high Intelligence, high Endurance. Your Guard is derived from your Intelligence, which is the most important tanking stat outside of Endurance. Healing is very overtuned right now, so it's not as important as it was in vanilla to be geared perfectly as a tank. Lots of Intelligence and lots of Endurance will be sufficient for raiding.
    With the importance of Int, has anyone tried something to the effect of 51Arb/8Chloro/6Harb? Run Eldritch Armor and consume procs with instant cast Vile Spores? Or maybe maintain Withering Vines along side Blazing Light for obscene amounts of dodge and the 25% intellect boost from Chloro? I know at level 46 I have about 30 guard which translates to ~.92% Damage reduction to the group iirc (at work so I can’t confirm this). I kind of want to give this a shot, since I remember the Dodgebiter idea kind of being poopoo’d when it was released in SL, but it’s now a mainstay.
    Harbinger Livandira, Hand of the Arcane

Main Spec Arbiter of <Jynxed>
    2/4 BoB 4/4 Mini Bosses Down

Quote Originally Posted by Livandria View Post
    With the importance of Int, has anyone tried something to the effect of 51Arb/8Chloro/6Harb? Run Eldritch Armor and consume procs with instant cast Vile Spores? Or maybe maintain Withering Vines along side Blazing Light for obscene amounts of dodge and the 25% intellect boost from Chloro? I know at level 46 I have about 30 guard which translates to ~.92% Damage reduction to the group iirc (at work so I can’t confirm this). I kind of want to give this a shot, since I remember the Dodgebiter idea kind of being poopoo’d when it was released in SL, but it’s now a mainstay.
    Eldritch armor is a mage armor buff. So is the tank buff.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, write guides on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    In all seriousness, we don't expect everyone to still be playing SFP

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Deeew View Post
    Eldritch armor is a mage armor buff. So is the tank buff.
    https://rift.magelo.com/en/pts/abili...27/Arcane-Ward

Is it really? I’m still at work so I can’t jump on just yet to confirm, but that isn’t specified anywhere in the tooltip, I was under the assumption that Arcane award was similar to LGV/LBV being a self buff that doesn’t consume a mage armor slot.

But, this concept is still possible, it would just require more frequent uses of Blazing Light or Withering Vines to maintain the 25% Intelligence Buff. The question is just whether it’s practical or not.
    Last edited by Livandria; 03-27-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Livandria View Post
    https://rift.magelo.com/en/pts/abili...27/Arcane-Ward

Is it really? I’m still at work so I can’t jump on just yet to confirm, but that isn’t specified anywhere in the tooltip, I was under the assumption that Arcane award was similar to LGV/LBV being a self buff that doesn’t consume a mage armor slot.

But, this concept is still possible, it would just require more frequent uses of Blazing Light or Withering Vines to maintain the 25% Intelligence Buff. The question is just whether it’s practical or not.
    I swore it was... might have been mistaken... Maybe its the 61pt im thinking of.

edit: To answer ur question, I am pretty sure that at our current gearlevel we do not have enough raw int for NA to be worth it. I am fairly certain that 4% dmg reduction from stormcaller is more valuable than 25% int boost.
    Last edited by Deeew; 03-27-2018 at 01:27 PM.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, write guides on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    In all seriousness, we don't expect everyone to still be playing SFP

Rift Master

This isn't necessarily a direct criticism only a bit of thoughtful discussion.

Your tank build is Arbiter/Harbinger/Frostkeeper, and while I have nothing to say against this build, I will say that 72k planarite isn't exactly a walk in the park when you're earning 50 at a time. I don't plan on grinding 50k planarite solely to buy a soul I would only ever use as an offsoul -- if I get there along the way while playing Prime, so be it, but I'm not planning on spending my next several weeks in game grinding it. I'm sure other people may feel this way.

I went with 11lock/4sc for my Arbiter build. Increased HP and reduced damage taken seems to be a viable alternative to using FK. I wouldn't mind hearing some commentary on other people's Arbiter builds sans FK.

edited to add for the discussion in the last few posts
    Arcane Ward does not count as a Mage Armor and can be used with Eldritch Armor. (Or any other offsoul's Mage Armor buff.)
    Last edited by Iphigeneia; 03-27-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    Iphigeneia // Jehan // Coriolana // Cytrine@Faeblight
    "Just because I'm mad doesn't mean I'm not right!" -Sylver Valis

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Deeew View Post
    I swore it was... might have been mistaken... Maybe its the 61pt im thinking of.

edit: To answer ur question, I am pretty sure that at our current gearlevel we do not have enough raw int for NA to be worth it. I am fairly certain that 4% dmg reduction from stormcaller is more valuable than 25% int boost.

Oh it 100% could be, I just wish that I had a decently geared 50 mage to rest it. At my gear level, with 298 Int (in my tanking gear) I went from .97% guard reduction to 1.21%. Not a massive bump, but the real difference came in block percentage. I went from 14.10% to 17.38% iirc, which is a fairly sizable increase for being not even level 50 or having the +10% intelligence from Arbiter.

Is there a way to more accurately compare direct damage reduction to an increase in stats such as dodge/block/etc? I've never been a capable enough theorycrafter to make direct comparisons between damage reduction to RNG based mechanics such as block. However, with the increase I saw at my level, I could see this build totally being possible once T1 gear is obtained, or at the very least something that could be looked into.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphigeneia View Post
    snip
    11 Lock/4 SC is pretty standard raid build. The dodge build is better for dungeons but 11 Lock/4 SC would work just fine.
    Focus@Vigil | 50 Mage

Rift Disciple

Since Ele barrage is now enabled, good to know if you have any other options for a single target build

Elemental Barrage has an extra damage nerf not reflected in the tooltip. The tooltip says it does ~3x the damage per bolt as elemental gifts, yet it's actually doing about 75% as much damage per bolt. It's a good option for extra cleaving in dungeons but it has no place single target.

Updated numbers since MA gift was reenabled and I've got some extra gear (no where near BiS yet!)

38 MA/20 SC/8 Harb
    Spoiler!

44 Ele/22 MA
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Scourge; 03-29-2018 at 06:28 PM.
    Focus@Vigil | 50 Mage

If you really hate pets, 43 Pyro/23 MA is serviceable again. A little more difficult to play than 44 Ele and with less cleave, but will be better in raids and has infinite mana.

Last edited by Scourge; 03-30-2018 at 01:13 AM.
    Focus@Vigil | 50 Mage

Rift Disciple

Is there no support specs that are viable? Archon?

Also, what about PvP specific specs?
    Characters: Taldren, Sohwyn, Mythander, Paldren.
    RIFT (Sunrest) - Guardian - Irony || WAR (PT/Gorfang) - Alliance - Irony
    WoW (Azgalor/MT) - Order - Ravens || DAoC (Percival) - Hibernia - Ravens of the Veil

Quote Originally Posted by Taldren View Post
    Is there no support specs that are viable? Archon?
    Archon is not viable currently on Prime since it is missing some key things requiring a higher level to obtain, that its counterpart in BM already has access too.
    Last edited by Draknox; 03-30-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Draknox View Post
    Archon is not viable currently on Prime since it is missing some key things requiring a higher level to obtain, that its counterpart in BM already has access too.
    What of Dominator?
    Characters: Taldren, Sohwyn, Mythander, Paldren.
    RIFT (Sunrest) - Guardian - Irony || WAR (PT/Gorfang) - Alliance - Irony
    WoW (Azgalor/MT) - Order - Ravens || DAoC (Percival) - Hibernia - Ravens of the Veil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast