+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Draknox
  • 1 Post By Artifa
  • 1 Post By Dinadass

Thread: Tooltip vs. Buff window discrepancies

Default Tooltip vs. Buff window discrepancies

Would love to be enlightened what would cause these two to be different.

The 1st is the tooltip off my bar or in the knowledge book. The 2nd is after applying the buff to myself. (out or in combat didn't change it)

After speaking to some others in the HoT discord, I am not the only one experiencing this.

Also most abilities are doing about 60-70% of the tooltip in combat, that is the norm across most souls/classes on Prime.

*edit - My combat damage for Elemental Forces is 30, so it appears the buff window is putting my damage where is should be for the "Prime nerf" and the last little difference is what has been the normal resistance/armor reduction we are used to from Live servers.
    Last edited by Draknox; 03-23-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Rift Disciple

I had put another tooltip related issue for the Dwarf racial in a Tooltip issues thread in the bug report forum

Can I ask what level you are? I am curious because others have noticed a much larger than the 30-40% reduction you are seeing versus tooltip amount.

In mid-high 40s and at 50, there seems to be an approximate 75% reduction in damage across the board, versus the tooltip value (see Endgame Scaling thread also in the bug report forum)
    Climate
    50 Mage - Virgil

Quote Originally Posted by Artifa View Post
    I had put another tooltip related issue for the Dwarf racial in a Tooltip issues thread in the bug report forum

Can I ask what level you are? I am curious because others have noticed a much larger than the 30-40% reduction you are seeing versus tooltip amount.

In mid-high 40s and at 50, there seems to be an approximate 75% reduction in damage across the board, versus the tooltip value (see Endgame Scaling thread also in the bug report forum)
    I am 43, and I have seem a range of 60-70% reduction for most things, and yes it does seem to increase with level.

I was really curious though why this one skill shows the "Prime nerf" on the buff window. It is the only so far that I have noticed. Even though the reduced damage seems to be on par with everything else.

Rift Disciple

I think you're right about the buff and debuff tooltips

Buff/debuff tooltips show accurate damage, pre-armor/reisstance reduction

where-as

Ability tooltips show damage pre-blanket reduction and pre-armor/resistance reduction.

--

Also, I had an idea while in discord discussing this. It should be very simple to get data-points on what the reduction is at various levels, because alll non-max level zone have forced mentoring.

So if a level 50 were to go to these zones, they would mentor down to...

Silverwood / Freemarch @ level 20 and have the effect of a level 20's blanket reduction to their ability. A 500 dmg tooltip ability would deal X actual damage because it is reduced flatly by Y% (and a small amount more, from armor/resist reduction)

Gloamwood / Stonefield would show the same data-point at level 26 and so on...

Scarlet @ 27
    Scarwood and IPP @ 35
    Moonshade @ 40
    Droughtlands @ 44

edit: and apparently you can right click your portrait and force mentor to any level. So finding out the reduction for any level is trivial and I might do it when i have time, i'll put it in the endgame scaling thread in bug report. we might want to ask a mod to move that thread to general or somewhere else since i don't think it's a bug anymore, its obv intended

...and, as was already discovered, the lvl 50 data-point is again approximately a 75% reduction.versus ability tooltip.
    Last edited by Artifa; 03-24-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    Climate
    50 Mage - Virgil

Quote Originally Posted by Artifa View Post
    I think you're right about the buff and debuff tooltips

Buff/debuff tooltips show accurate damage, pre-armor/reisstance reduction

where-as

Ability tooltips show damage pre-blanket reduction and pre-armor/resistance reduction.

--

Also, I had an idea while in discord discussing this. It should be very simple to get data-points on what the reduction is at various levels, because alll non-max level zone have forced mentoring.

So if a level 50 were to go to these zones, they would mentor down to...

Silverwood / Freemarch @ level 20 and have the effect of a level 20's blanket reduction to their ability. A 500 dmg tooltip ability would deal X actual damage because it is reduced flatly by Y% (and a small amount more, from armor/resist reduction)

Gloamwood / Stonefield would show the same data-point at level 26 and so on...

Scarlet @ 27
    Scarwood and IPP @ 35
    Moonshade @ 40
    Droughtlands @ 44

edit: and apparently you can right click your portrait and force mentor to any level. So finding out the reduction for any level is trivial and I might do it when i have time, i'll put it in the endgame scaling thread in bug report. we might want to ask a mod to move that thread to general or somewhere else since i don't think it's a bug anymore, its obv intended

...and, as was already discovered, the lvl 50 data-point is again approximately a 75% reduction.versus ability tooltip.
    I don't think it's that simple because the damage when mentoring doesn't work that way. When I was in Scarwood at level 37 (mentored to 35) and then dinged 38, my tooltip damage actually dropped, even though I put the talent point into something that raised my DOT damage.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Rift Disciple

What you experienced is different than the topic of my post, and yeah, in regards to what I said, "it is that simple." The blanket damage reduction done per level ramps up as you approach 50. If you don't believe me you can do a test very easily. Each level, attack a same-level-mob as you (eiher through mentoring or your actual level). Or you can read the damage scaling thread I linked that explains it more.

You asked about mentoring from 37 -> 35 vs 38 -> 35

If your overall equipped items' stats did not change, you leveled up, the damage increases should be: gained base stats, put (a) point(s) into a dmg increase talent, and also got the 1% dmg per point from soul gift, all of those should point to your damage going up, right?

The only thing that would point to a reduction in damage is that the 38 -> 35 mentoring is a larger change than a 37 -> 35 mentoring. A larger lvl change would cause a larger reduction in your stats. It must even be large enough to outweigh all the damage increases you earned by leveling if your tooltip shows lower dmg.
    Climate
    50 Mage - Virgil

+ Reply to Thread