+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mystic Archer

Rift Disciple

Default Mystic Archer

I have been doing some dungeons with some Mystic Archers and the numbers they are pulling on bosses are incredible - mind you this is only around 30-35 where they like do more than 300 dps ahead of the next best person.

Does anyone know at 50 do they flatten out or even at that level are they still good? I am intrigued as I play a pyro.

Rift Disciple

if you check out the tree (and remember that elemental barrage is disabled) you'll see that they get all of their dps points between lvl 30 and 40. There is only filler left after that in the MA tree.

Basically they peak earlier and higher, during the leveling process.

There is a chart somewhere of current single target dps on live, and I don't think archer was included. They are strong, for sure. We will have to see when there are more people at 50 trying out various builds just how good they end up.
    Last edited by Artifa; 03-18-2018 at 03:28 PM.
    Climate
    50 Mage - Virgil

Quote Originally Posted by Artifa View Post
    if you check out the tree (and remember that elemental barrage is disabled) you'll see that they get all of their dps points between lvl 30 and 40. There is only filler left after that in the MA tree.

Basically they peak earlier and higher, during the leveling process.

There is a chart somewhere of current single target dps on live, and I don't think archer was included. They are strong, for sure. We will have to see when there are more people at 50 trying out various builds just how good they end up.
    Is there a build tree that is for Prime available? I did a bunch of searches, but all I could find were a couple for Live.
    I'd like to give it a try, though doubt I'll seriously play it as I prefer to be a caster with a pet as a mage.

Rift Disciple

Live soul calculators are usable since prime souls have no differences from live as of now.... i'm pretty sure the last patch was applied exactly the same to both servers, if the patch notes are accurate.

The only difference I know of is that Elemental barrage is disabled.

I know a lot of people are hoping Trion will address balance differently between the two servers, but we haven't received any response to that question yet.
    Climate
    50 Mage - Virgil

Plane Touched

Mystic archer is a lot of fun, but ultimately it lacks the punch and utility of pyro. Useless skills as well, or at least they seem useless at this point. Without elemental barrage you are stuck using bolts with temporal shot which has lackluster damage, until higher level.

I love the play style though, so probably keep with it

Quote Originally Posted by Nuum View Post
    Mystic archer is a lot of fun, but ultimately it lacks the punch and utility of pyro. Useless skills as well, or at least they seem useless at this point. Without elemental barrage you are stuck using bolts with temporal shot which has lackluster damage, until higher level.

I love the play style though, so probably keep with it
    No you don't use Temporal Shot, if you are a MA getting out dps'd by a Pyro, you are playing MA wrong.

and I guess the "utility" that Pyro gets over MA, that you are referencing the debilitate on a 30 sec cooldown? ....

in the world of speed clear trash runs, or chain rifting. Pyro doesn't hold a candle to MA.

Soulwalker

What MA builds are people using for dungeons? I'm familiar with some MA builds for 50+, but I'd love to see some ideas for 25-50.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Draknox View Post
    No you don't use Temporal Shot, if you are a MA getting out dps'd by a Pyro, you are playing MA wrong.

and I guess the "utility" that Pyro gets over MA, that you are referencing the debilitate on a 30 sec cooldown? ....

in the world of speed clear trash runs, or chain rifting. Pyro doesn't hold a candle to MA.
    You do use Temporal Shot when you have nothing else yet

No I meant utility like resistance penetration, extra crit, etc.

If I ever care about speed clearing trash runs please shoot me No offense to folks that enjoy that kind of thing, I just prefer warfronts.

Telaran

You do use Temporal Shot when you have nothing else yet

No I meant utility like resistance penetration, extra crit, etc.

If I ever care about speed clearing trash runs please shoot me No offense to folks that enjoy that kind of thing, I just prefer warfronts.
    MA is probably 30% better than pyro to be honest. I am usually double the next closest dps unless it is a sab, they can get close to my dps. Usually the only time someone comes close is on big aoe fights since MA caps out at 3 targets and most damage is single target. Also you should never be using Temporal shots, it is terrible. Pretty much you want to be using elemental gifts, not only does it do more damage per arrow than shots, it frees up your charge to use for damage boosts and keeps you healed up. The only tricky aspect is you can accidentally pull after battle if you run over an arrow after the last mob dies so you have to watch that.

Rift Disciple

II started playing with MA and mixed feelings on it.

I am not a big fan of picking up the elemental bolts that drop on the ground - I know it does increase your dps alot. Also is the top level MA tree skill worth it?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Maethor View Post
    MA is probably 30% better than pyro to be honest. I am usually double the next closest dps unless it is a sab, they can get close to my dps. Usually the only time someone comes close is on big aoe fights since MA caps out at 3 targets and most damage is single target. Also you should never be using Temporal shots, it is terrible. Pretty much you want to be using elemental gifts, not only does it do more damage per arrow than shots, it frees up your charge to use for damage boosts and keeps you healed up. The only tricky aspect is you can accidentally pull after battle if you run over an arrow after the last mob dies so you have to watch that.
    The only thing I find temporal shot good for, at my level, is when I run out of everything else and they still have a sliver of life left, but more than I can get with arcane shot.

What damage boosts. Internalize Charge is the only one I have now.

Gifts wouldnt get me in as much trouble if it didnt pull through walls with no LoS
    Last edited by Nuum; 03-20-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Telaran

The only thing I find temporal shot good for, at my level, is when I run out of everything else and they still have a sliver of life left.

What damage boosts?

Gifts wouldnt get me in as much trouble if it didnt pull through walls with no LoS Does Expanding Gifts increase the damage as well as the heal?
    Gifts does a good 15% more damage than temporal shots per arrow. The main problem with shots is the cooldown though, you will always waste arrows with shots because you spawn more than you can use with it while gifts because it shoots the arrow as soon as you run over it means you won't ever be capped on arrows. Even on single target you will find yourself capping out on arrows as shot only allows you to fire 6 per 30 seconds. In that timeframe you will easily generate on single target over 15 arrows, on multitarget you will generate 40+ arrows in 30 seconds.

Now if elemental barrage was working it would be something else. I wouldn't be using gifts if barrage was working. They disabled barrage though because with 51 point souls it is overpowered.

As far as charge damage boosts I use the cloro one for 10% damage at 8 points in cloro.
    Last edited by Maethor; 03-20-2018 at 10:18 PM.

What damage boosts. Internalize Charge is the only one I have now.
    Depends on your build, but there are several at low level. Even if you don't want to manage your charge, you can use Charged Blade, for a flat 10% damage buff.

Other options are,
    20 pt Static Flux in SC
    8 pt Elemental Forces in Elementalist
    4 pt Entropic Veil in Chloro
    4 pt Power Drain in Archon
    (Internalize Charge that you mentioned is a good option as well)

Take your pick, but any of those are better than than using Temporal Shot. You keep saying you hit it when you have nothing else to hit. Arcane Bolt hits twice as hard as TS, and is spammable.
    Last edited by Draknox; 03-21-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Draknox View Post
    Depends on your build, but there are several at low level. Even if you don't want to manage your charge, you can use Charged Blade, for a flat 10% damage buff.

Other options are,
    20 pt Static Flux in SC
    8 pt Elemental Forces in Elementalist
    4 pt Entropic Veil in Chloro
    4 pt Power Drain in Archon
    (Internalize Charge that you mentioned is a good option as well)

Take your pick, but any of those are better than than using Temporal Shot. You keep saying you hit it when you have nothing else to hit. Arcane Bolt hits twice as hard as TS, and is spammable.
    Thanks for the other suggestions.

Arcane Bolt hits harder than TS for sure, but I can use AB, TS, TS, AB, TS, TS AB (I could probably fit in 3 TS but my ping is crud) in the same time frame as using 3 AB. It just adds a bit of extra burst on a low target.

+ Reply to Thread