My wish list - a soul that offers low investment and results in self + party healing.
Why low tier?
- So we have options. if 44 RB has taught us anything, it's that 44 for meager heals blows. (especially when they're reliant on a purgable buff, damage dealt AND crits!)
- every other class has access to self healing low in at least 1 tree (if not aoe as well). These souls form the back bone of solo builds and popular pvp builds for a reason. Warriors are afforded no such luxury, that is beyond the 5m "wonder"
Why not a ranged option?
- The only reason we want a ranged option is because ID is so very punnishing on Warriors (melee specifically). Trion (i believe) will learn from the mistakes of ID and create bosses in the future that don't punish melee for existing. Thusly, we shouldn't need one
- We perform quite well in PvP without high ranged aoe or ST. Unless the range was extended beyond 20m, I dont see a need for a ranged soul wrt PvP.
why not Support?
- BM or WL could easily fill this niche with some modification if it was deemed necessary
- I don't feel its necessary as Bard + Archon provide more than enough benefit
There you have it. 4 DPS, 4 Tank, and ONE healing soul. It's what we need most of all.
What would it look like?
As stated, low investment should yield survivability and group benefits. Beyond that high investment should offers some kind of speciality. (A) straight up healer or (B) I'd propose blending 2 of the other popular requests into making our 9th soul a ranged healing support class.
Throw spears to build AP, healing finishers that apply debuffs / buffs. We'd have to look at what other classes and roles already offer, and see where the gaps are to determine what these buffs/debuffs would be, but this makes the most sense to me. Alternatively, we'd get pigeoned into a DPS=Heals role like Chloros and honestly, I'm not convinced wrt PvP Trion can allow that and still offer the low point investment i've outlined above.
The Ascended Chronicle - A Blog for Everything Rift
Main: Synovia, 60 Rogue (p72 - I gave up because Rift PvP is a boring, skilless zerg)
Alts: Tharvolde, 60 Cleric :: Synoviah, 52 Rogue :: Arkane, 51 Mage :: Barackobahmi, 50 Warrior
I agree with those who say that melee unfriendly fights are problem of the fights, not the souls.
Anyway, Trion has to do something with the fights anyway. I have not raided (and if I ever raid), but all dungeons up to Runic Decent are so trivial to tank - I cannot believe it... Someone has said here "faceroll" - that is the exact description.
...or maybe they should put range penalty on all ranged abilities - the further you are - the weaker they are.
Fact is warriors are the worst designed class in rift 4 tanks souls and 4 dps souls was such a bad idea and a bad spread.
Im still a firm beleiver 1 tank soul has to go and be converted into dps/support/heals on top of them adding a new soul alltogether.
Here is an idea. Make warlord have a series of dingle target shields they can use on others. Similar to a purifier but with no heals. This is in addition to unique buffs but more importantly debuffs. Strong debuffs that have an impact on raid boss level mobs. For instance a debuff that reduces boss physical attack spied by 10%, or increases the chance of the boss attacks being deflected over a short period of time.
I agree they're going to be giving warriors a new role or add a true ranged soul. I don't want to see a rehash of what other classes already have though, so I don't want to see a DPS conversion healer. What I'd like to see is a "combat medic" type heal soul. Some ideas for it follow. Not suggesting that all of these ideas go into it, they're just possibilities for the class.
-Most durable of the healers.
-Their primary healing would be a close ranged channel heal.
-A ranged heal that heals for less.
-A bull rush type ability that targets an ally and heals them on contact (possibly lesser heals to allies near the target).
-Provides a short range healing aura.
-The ability to set up a medic tent.*Heals the raid based upon distance from the tent.Instead of switching buffs to go between raid heals and MT heals like a chloro, their healing type would be determined by their own placement and the placement of their tent. Of course the tent couldn't be made to be some obstructive object, but one that is at least visible.
*Healing can be enhanced by a channel ability performed at close range by the medic.
*Has a health bar and can be destroyed by damage.
*Immune to healing except for from a repair channel from the medic (similar to nexus infusion on turrets).
*The medic can use an ability to call forth support medics from the tent to provide bigger raid heals for a short time (akin to a necro's mass grave ability, only for healing instead of DPS).
I personally don't want an everyone can do everything situation, and think we're too close to it already.
I do like diversity and different roles, but you can overdo it.
I think if they gave warriors a healing soul, they'll give mages a tanking soul, and silliness will ensue.
They did state not so long ago that warrior healing was not on the agenda, so hopefully they will do something a bit more innovative with the new souls.
Since my previous thread got moved, I'll repeat what I said earlier.
Things warriors DO NOT NEED:
1) A Healing soul (note: Daglar has already said we are not getting a healing soul)
2) A Support soul
Things warriors DO NEED:
1) A full dps ranged soul
Why don't warriors need a support soul? Because support souls are only useful in very specific situations. Today Rift has two main support souls: Bard (rogue) and Archon (mage)
Let's look at typical uses of a support soul:
1) 5 man dungeons - it's very rare to see a full Bard or Archon in a dungeon. So a warrior support soul is likely to be as useless.
2) 10 man raids - I can't recall ever seeing an Archon in a 10-man. Most folks use a Bard, or no support at all (think DH/GP)
3) 20 man raids - Both Bard and Archon are needed in 20-man raids. But after dedicating 10% of you raid to support, no one is going to have a dedicated warrior support person unless they bring some OMG SO AWESOME capabilities to the raid, which is 99.9% unlikely to ever happen. If Trion ever builds a warrior support soul it will look like mongrel mix of Warlord and Beastmaster capabiliites that will be useless in a raid if you already have a Bard and Archon.
So what do warriors need? Ranged DPS, Ranged DPS, Ranged DPS. Rift has been and will always be, biased against melee dps. All the other dps classes can do FULL dps at ranged and at melee. Warriors can't and that is what needs fixing.
Clerics - Can stand between 0 and 30m and do full dps (some souls)
Rogues - Can stand between 0 and 30m and do full dps (some souls)
Mages - Can stand between 0 and 30m and do full dps
Warriors - Can stand between 0 and 3m and do full dps, beyond 3m warriors do LOL dps
Warriors get the short end of the stick everytime since we are only melee dps. A new ranged dps soul with the new expansion is the right time and right way to fix it.
I suspect we will get a support soul. It has been advertised from the start. Warlord was supposed to be it. Look at the Warlord tree today and read the verbage at Trion's very own website that has been there since Rift beta. Warlord advertisement. Quite interesting that Warlord's story background links directly with Crucia and the Storm Legion. And no, do not fool yourself into thinking that Warlord's "Call" abilities are considered support role. The Warlord's soul is completely different than what was advertised. Warlord in 1.8 is a tank soul. And Rift's advertisement says nothing about that.
So we will either get a new support soul and Warlord will get a revamp into an even more tankier soul like Reaver/Paladin. Or Warlord will get a revamp into a support soul and we will get a new tank soul.