+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: No smartphone? Run the mobile app on your PC, completely free.

Rift Disciple

Don't install that bluestacks software unless in a virtual machine.
    It's adware, serves up desktop ad popups.
    Last edited by shukaa; 09-22-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by shukaa View Post
    Don't install that bluestacks software unless in a virtual machine.
    It's adware, serves up desktop ad popups.
    no it isnt?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos View Post
    no it isnt?
    It displays messages on the desktop advertising products. That is adware.

It would be tolerable if it decided to show these messages when the program was running. But it installs services in the background and provides no means of shutting itself down easily. The messages display when the program is set to 'stop'.
    Last edited by shukaa; 09-23-2012 at 04:36 AM.

Ascendant

weird never had that ...

well people will decide themselve if they use it for free and conquer some ads for it or not i guess anyway ;)

I've seen the ads as well. If you just close the program in your system tray after you finish using it, there shouldn't be an issue with ads popping up.
    <Unity> - 4/4 FT, 2/5 EE, 4/4 TDQ
    Howto: Run RIFT Mobile on your PC

Quote Originally Posted by merph View Post
    I've seen the ads as well. If you just close the program in your system tray after you finish using it, there shouldn't be an issue with ads popping up.
    I just tried this out, and actually I did have an ad pop-up after I closed bluestacks from the system tray. I looked and there's a system process for it still running, one that I could not stop. So just FYI - people can make their own decision.

I have no ads and have no idea what you guys are talking about.

My problem is the Rift Mobile app does not connect to the server. It would be nice to be able to chat from my desktop while at work, for example, if it would only connect.

If anyone has encountered this or if this is a known issue, please advise.
    Last edited by Ogdru; 11-08-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    RIP <VIRUS> - May 2011 to April 2013 - Original Founder and Guild Leader. You're welcome for being carried for so long lol ;)

So what is the current state of this? I don't have a mobile phone (hey! don't judge! ) but would like the freebies with the expansion and all. Have heard things about the 'fake' mobile ap being more of an ad server and causing processor lag etc so wanted to check that stuff out before just grabbing it.

Anyone using it atm?

Works fine for me! thanks!

Prophet of Telara Shaidar Haran's Avatar

The pop up is dealt with by my Norton Firewall on my desktop PC, butnot on my laptop one. Either way I am ok with bothways.

The one MAJOR concern I have is this:

When I first set up bluestacks on my computer bluestacks asks for my login, PW to RIFT. So here is the concern...Bluestacks now has my account info. How reliable is bluestacks to have this info?

I have added my authenticor since using this but still giving a 3rd party my RIFT account info gives them direct access to post on the forums, if this info is ever hacked. I know Trion has their security, but who the hell is bluestacks and how is their security?
    My Hand Reaches Far...

Quote Originally Posted by Amary View Post
    There's typically no warning for unexpected crashes.

Telaran

Default .apk files for other apps ?

This app works great on my computer but I had to install it by downloading the .apk file. I would like to install some of the other Rift apps but they won't install. Can I get the other app .apk files manually as well?

I run it off of the bluestacks app. Never had any ads or whatever pop up while or after playing. Maybe they realized it was popular and tacked adware onto the new versions.
    Valliac - Eth - Rogue
    Brongor - Dwarf - Warrior
    Sevisa - Kelari - Cleric

Thanks so much for this. I'm annoyed I've been playing Rift for months and had no idea I had access to this!
    Faeblight (US PVE-RP)
    Lifemender - Cleric (65) & Oxenheart - Warrior (65) ... & friends
    Look for any toons in the Cosmic Rhinocerii "guild". They're all me!
    Don't hesitate to say "hi!" if you see me. Always looking for new Rifters to help. If you need, just ask!

Shadowlander

Thank you.

Shadowlander

Default Security

I like the Rift app as it is free loot but it keeps making my phone freeze and I have missed numerous calls because of this. As a result I have uninstalled it on my phone. Having Bluestacks is the perfect solution, however, the security of my details (account name and PW) is what I want to question. Does it mean that Trion are happy with these type of security issues since the Rift Mobile app is available through Bluestacks, i.e. some kind of partnership, or does it just mean that Bluestacks have added it to their database along with all the other apps? I am not familiar with how app ownership works so I apologise if it is a silly question, I just want to make sure that by using this third-party software I won't be liable should my details be hacked etc...(I don't even know how safe my details will be and what measures are in place to safeguard my email address and login details).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast