+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: CONTEST: Build a Better Preset - Get your build in the game!

You should add a Trove alpha key to the list of prizes!

Plane Walker

There are players who have spent countless hours putting together the best builds for just about every calling, and they're posted right here on the forums. All a person needs to do is go to each "class guide" sub-forum and search for them.

The people who have written extensive guides and kept them up-to-date over the years are the ones that deserve the accolades, not the people that are participating in this contest.
    Last edited by Aelorean; 11-25-2013 at 04:18 AM.

Can we extend the preset function already?
    Would be so sweet if it had categories for soloing and pvp separated from the go to dungeon spec department which again could be split into each respective role you normally play.

On top of that this event should be a constantly going thing as builds change a lot, just periodically aware the top voted ones with something every month or two or three.

Updates should happen ingame constantly too, heck this entire system could become litterally unique and awesome like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelorean View Post
    There are players who have spent countless hours putting together the best builds for just about every calling, and they're posted right here on the forums. All a person needs to do is go to each "class guide" sub-forum and search for them.

The people who have written extensive guides and kept them up-to-date over the years are the ones that deserve the accolades, not the people that are participating in this contest.
    You do realize that you need to have written a guide to enter into the contest, right? One of the required parts of the submitted presets is a link to a guide that you yourself have made.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    You do realize that you need to have written a guide to enter into the contest, right? One of the required parts of the submitted presets is a link to a guide that you yourself have made.
    You also need to be aware of any future changes coming to Live, which are either typed up in a forum post or on PTS being tested that can drastically change the guide for better or worse, that could make the preset obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by Burninalways View Post
    You also need to be aware of any future changes coming to Live, which are either typed up in a forum post or on PTS being tested that can drastically change the guide for better or worse, that could make the preset obsolete.
    You can simply update the build after the changes go live. The point of the presets isn't to provide builds for bleeding edge theorycrafters, it's to help out people that just want to get a character up and running. I'll more than likely use them on my alts (aside from the hotbar setups).

Honestly when I see, "Build a Better Preset - Get your build in the game!" my mind reads, "You do the work for us!"
    "Wizards First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true." - Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
    Honestly when I see, "Build a Better Preset - Get your build in the game!" my mind reads, "You do the work for us!"
    And why shouldn't we if we want our own game to get better? For most games, players either know more or at the very least provide a new perspective on certain aspects of the game. As people who went through, and actually have time to make a new preset, we are in a prime position to do so and contribute to the betterment of the game.

I'm not white knighting or anything, but how many times have you ever said to yourself, "I can do this better"?
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 11-26-2013 at 04:45 PM.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    I'm not white knighting or anything, but how many times have you ever said to yourself, "I can do this better"?
    None that I can think of. I use the forums for the builds I've played.
    "Wizards First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true." - Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
    None that I can think of. I use the forums for the builds I've played.
    That already says you think you can do better than what the devs have put up
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Soulwalker

think its a good idea
    my idea is extend this and implement it ingame as loadable template from file
    so i can save and load my own templates and share it via internet
    i played long time guild wars 1 and this was one of the best there
    in addition here with the description fields in a human readable format
    Last edited by Y0ma; 11-27-2013 at 03:49 AM.

Shadowlander

Default Leveling Build

If we make a preset leveling build (i.e., available at level 1) and the description/basics/tips describes abilities they may not have immediately, I assume that's ok?

For example, a leveling build with Champion would probably mention Mark of Inevitability (Level 8),Mighty Blow (level 12), and Chains of Life/Bladefury (16) at the least... while it's perfectly usable to level before those abilities are available. But having the description mention things like Power Strike (Level 1) and Punishing Blow (Level 2) would sort of defeat the ... purpose ... of the preset.

I have a question to ask:

When leveling will rift let you know that new presets are available to use or do you have to stop and look at the preset page to see the changes, not knowing that they are happening as you level?

Rift Chaser

All warrior dps spec require tempest (almost all) which means players without the souls will have them show as locked, also most of the warrior dps spec don't last more than a few weeks before a change makes them not work like they were intended by the creator making them as presents not work well.

how will this be monitored to make sure any warrior dps guide maker hasn't wasted their time when a new skill change or effect is changed making that skill which was essential in their build more or less useless, will the build be continuously updated with changes/nerfs/effect ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast