+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: CONTEST: Build a Better Preset - Get your build in the game!

Mei

So, PvP builds are welcome?
    Fluent

The trouble with doing some leveling guides for example healing as a cleric, warden is great healing spec right from level 1 until you level from 50-60, very much at 60 if you don't have raid gear.
    Will the in-game preset guide tell you to stop using in for a better suited preset, and give a free reset if in that preset.

Then you have variants of the same build suited to dealing damage, taking damage, or doing more aoe.
    Is their going to be an in-game aspect set up that will transform the current preset into one of the new versions.
    For example level 1 you start as Dps, then at level 15 you can choose Dps, Tank or Solo.
    The change could happen at any level.

..I.....I....I
    [--].[--].[--]
    ..I._.I._..I
    .......I
    .....[--]

For a better example:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#V...9k50/28OyxkaF2
    Used to be Top Dps once, before a fix.
    It could of started as a tank or dps spec if you were leveling and transformed to its current form, but could of gone another way.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 11-22-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Champion

Honestly I think prebuilds should just go away and in their place just provide a link to the appropriate class forums. When you use a forum guide not only do you get a better idea of what the rotation should be, but why the rotation is better as xyz vs zxy aswell. Idk guess I've always just been more of a fan of teach a man to fish vs give a man a fish.

If only that Tactician build still worked how it did when I found it .

This might be worth it though in general. I may be tempted to try submitting some of my unorthodoxed gimmicky builds. Surely can't do worse than any of those presets did, even in my worst of specing mistakes.

Also, this is a cool guide, but I change my specs so often just patch to patch because of updates. You guys do realize, the grim reality to this is that - whatever we submit, it is going to be voided out in efficiency in due time and a slightly altered version will probably be preferred. It is a pretty rad contest and idea, but I hope the reality is realized that this will just be a gimmick contest as well. Good builds often alter constantly in this game with the game state. So I am sort of conflicted about submitting a build for the *games presets* just to get a prize, when I know it's probably a spec I could tweak one day, or may, or will when some random talent is buffed.

Still may try this if I find time!
    Last edited by Violacea; 11-22-2013 at 08:29 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

I'm definitely entering a rogue conquest build

I'm sick of the sins raging at the healers
    RGI@Deepwood --- <-Hello Kitty->
    [A Stick]
    The Real Rift Community Discord! Check It Out!
    Check out the New Rift Reddit! https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORift/ Be Constructive!

Default ...

lol pvp builds.

silly mei, trion doesn't support pvp.

imo that's an excellent idea though... make pre set pvp builds for people... so they don't roll into wfs with crappy worthless specs. and put PVP BUILD somewhere in the build description. I seriously that would help a lot of the new players who have no idea what to do in pvp, spec wise.

7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #22

I think PVP builds sound like a great idea. I know when I do my random WFs, I generally just use one of my easier PVE builds. (Self admitted carebear!) Enter them!

@Burninalways
    "Will the in-game preset guide tell you to stop using in for a better suited preset, and give a free reset if in that preset."

It is not technologically possible to offer a reset, but the description can read "Best used for levels X through Y". I think that's reasonable.
    CM Morgana ~ Community Coordinator ~
    Avatar art is courtesy of Allie Brosh!

There is one thing that would lead me to disagree with this Contest or let alone the idea of making a "fixed" preset.

• Callings and their respective Souls are always changing in RIFT.

So, what worked one day may not work on another (obviously some changes will not be that drastic, but you never know). Instead of making "fixed" presets, create it as a feature in game so the community can share it with one another.

It would be something like dimensions, let the players create a build and the respective points per level, let them publicize it in-game and players can check out weekly, daily, monthly or even builds of the century. Let players rate the Builds if they like it and others can look at the most popular builds, etc.

This could be extremely difficult to create, but I think it'll be worth it with a complex Class System that RIFT has.
    Last edited by Byaku; 11-22-2013 at 11:52 PM.

The souls and builds in Rift are constantly changing and optimal ones are different each time. This is a special thing about Rift and one that we do like about this game.

I am not sure is preset builds are that much useful as really they are a subject to change in (maybe pretty close) future.

I do constantly write guides for my guildies (but in Russian) which I create myself maybe bearing some ideas from other theorycrafters.

Knowing that Rift is pretty international game is there a sense for you for guides in languages different from English?

Also about build point distribution during leveling. Pretty often you do not just add points during leveling but completely redo them when you reach certain level and gain access to certain abilities. So your spreadsheet could make a sense only if you could add a soul builder link at every level. I see your intention but that is at least "sub optimal" and will not help anyone get better during leveling - only worse. That makes things easier but not better.
    You should give the power to one who doesn't want to use it
    Arm Dearg (Zaviel) Mage class leader
    GSB 5/5 RoS 5/5 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 11/11 RotP 4/4 ID 8/8 PF 4/4
    FT 4/4 EE 5/5 GA 4/4 IG 3/3 PB 4/5
    Wizards till we die!

Quote Originally Posted by CM Morgana View Post
    All winners will earn a Hellbug or Ki Rin mount of their choosing.
    Any chance of getting a squirrel mount added to the list of options?

Could you please add if a spec is meant for solo or group play in addition to tank, heal, dps and support? Not all the specs given are suitable for soloing. It would prevent a player from accidentally using a pure dps spec to solo from 1-60.
    Pantz@Hailol
    Asia's best cleric

Default .....

Quote Originally Posted by Pacifyer View Post
    The souls and builds in Rift are constantly changing and optimal ones are different each time. This is a special thing about Rift and one that we do like about this game.

I am not sure is preset builds are that much useful as really they are a subject to change in (maybe pretty close) future.

I do constantly write guides for my guildies (but in Russian) which I create myself maybe bearing some ideas from other theorycrafters.

Knowing that Rift is pretty international game is there a sense for you for guides in languages different from English?

Also about build point distribution during leveling. Pretty often you do not just add points during leveling but completely redo them when you reach certain level and gain access to certain abilities. So your spreadsheet could make a sense only if you could add a soul builder link at every level. I see your intention but that is at least "sub optimal" and will not help anyone get better during leveling - only worse. That makes things easier but not better.

I dunno about pve but in pvp the **** face builds pretty much stay the same. rb, inq, sent, sin etc etc. just make these builds a pre set. label "PvP Build" and I swear every new player with select that one, and wham-o they are learning the right spec to play in pvp.

Default ....

Quote Originally Posted by CM Morgana View Post
    I think PVP builds sound like a great idea. I know when I do my random WFs, I generally just use one of my easier PVE builds. (Self admitted carebear!) Enter them!

@Burninalways
    "Will the in-game preset guide tell you to stop using in for a better suited preset, and give a free reset if in that preset."

It is not technologically possible to offer a reset, but the description can read "Best used for levels X through Y". I think that's reasonable.
    and that's what most people do who don't know a lot about pvp in rift.

I personally support the idea of pre-builds, coming to the game as a new player, but having played an MMO where you could change the abilities of your sub-class, and rebuild from the ground up as many time as you want.

The guide to the building your own custom souls is complicated, and many, many people would have no idea at all about where to put points. Indeed, even when I am using a custom role, I still hit the button to arrange points automatically.

One of the big problems with the pre-builds I am seeing is that a lot of them are relying on the SL souls.

I think an assumption should be made that the pre-builds are for a new player who has *just* started playing, and does not have the SL pack yet.

Although my highest char is still only a 40, I have found a custom build on rogue using a ranger/Bladedancer/Riftstalker setup that suits my playstyle - I mostly PvE, and quest, and rifthunt.

Don't think that many people will do leveling preset, unless they already have a guide set-up for it in the forums.
    The majority will choose to do Level 60 presets that are either the best of the best or an unseen hybrid of their own creation.

I do think that their should be at least 2 new leveling presets, melee and range solo, for each class.
    However I don't think I have that skill or knowledge to set one up.

I do hope that someone will have the courage to do so, that's completely fresh and worth it.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 11-24-2013 at 08:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast