Please read the following thoroughly, afterwards we invite you to share your feedback and questions below - thanks in advance for staying constructive!
As we outlined yesterday, we’re making some changes to Valor and adding a new PvP Stat called “Vengeance”.
After reviewing the feedback and data we received from our test this afternoon we will be moving forward with releasing these changes tomorrow, 9/1, for evaluation in front of the full live audience. You can be sure we’re going to be keeping a very close eye on how they play and want to go a little deeper into our methods below.
As many of you have expressed through today’s testing, these changes do create a better PvP experience for everyone. Specifically:
We want to illustrate where we plan to go from here. As always we work to iterate and make the right decisions without being afraid to try new things. With this in mind, our strategy for PvP has been the following:
- PvP Healing did not become a huge issue as many had feared, with more people having more valor.
- The non-armor-set valor pieces PvPers can stack on top of their PvP armor sets continue to provide good defensive value
- High rank PvP items remain a great upgrade for PvP, still do provide useful advantages in PvE, and are just no longer the best items available for raiding.
- Vengeance is proving to be a good and useful way to give added offensive power in PvP
During this process we’re also keeping a close eye on PvE item effectiveness in PvP, each step of the way, we just want to make sure we’re not turning too many knobs at once.
- Get Valor and Rank 8 gear in line to provide a better overall experience for everyone in PvP. (This is where we are with these changes)
- Bring rogues to a place to where they have a competitive PvP DPS role that does not revolve around slipping away, as a part of a larger rogue effectiveness review coming in 1.5.
- Then evaluate how PvP healing is in this new world, a world where rogue DPS is competitive with warriors, clerics, and mages in PvP.
While we’re talking about itemization, we’re happy to confirm that Pre-Hammerknell PvE Synergy Crystals should make their debut in Update 1.5 – more details to come as we get closer to that update.
Thanks for sharing your feedback over the past 24 hours and even before we announced these changes. Always know your opinions and feedback are a part of our development process and the direction we ultimately choose.
These changes to PvP are not set in stone – as we’ve demonstrated in the past, we feel it’s important to explore new opportunities with a measured approach and that’s exactly what we’re doing today. We’re always open to your feedback and ask you continue to share your thoughts on these changes, especially after you have the opportunity to experience them yourself.