+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 116 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: How Old Are You in MMO Years?

Default How Old Are You in MMO Years?

I responded in this post when I was asked what MMO's I have played.

My response was:

"My first MMO was The Realm. I doubt many of you remember that one. It was a little 2-D game that was out a couple of years before EQ launched.

I started playing EQ right at it's beginning. I was a total EQ freak. That s what got me into this business after all! ;)

In the years since then, I have played a bunch:

Dark Age of Camelot
    Guild Wars
    Vanguard (of course)
    City of Heroes
    World of Warcraft
    Star Trek Online

I think there are more but those are the ones that come to mind.

I started working with MMO communities in 1999. Wow, does that ever make me feel old!"

So now that I have confessed to how long I have been around, I want to know how old you are in MMO years as well. It's only fair. ;)

How long have you been playing MMO's? What have you played?

I know this has been discussed before. But I would like to jump start the discussion again. Besides, it's fun to reminisce about our shared MMO experiences.

Edit: I decided to resurrect and sticky this thread for a bit. We have some new people showing up and I'd like to continue to hear about our community member's MMO backgrounds.
    Cindy Bowens
    Director of Community, North America
    Trion Worlds

well lets see, Played EQ of course,did some Asherons and DAoC, Guild Wars some EQ2,Vanguard, DDO, AoC thats about the ones I really played, others I tried but not for long, just to get a taste.
    Never explain your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.

Oooh I can forsee some pretty long lists on this thread Abigale...I think you've opened the proverbial Pandora's Chest!

Here goes then, only the ones I tested or played, not the ones I loaded up and decided I'd wasted my money.

My first MMORPG was UO in 1997 (still seem to revisit it each year)
    then:
    EQ
    DAoC
    then started my beta testing days with what was then Horizons and played a short while
    Beta tested Lineage 2 didn't play it though
    Asheron's Call 2...really loved that game
    Closed and open beta'd EQ2 and played it
    WoW (which I seem to go back to for a while each year)
    Open beta for Vanguard but it was so laggy I gave up...and didn't play it, was disgusted after all the hype.
    Alpha'd, closed beta'd, open beta'd and played (Europe) LotRO
    Aion
    Alganon for a short while, enjoyed it a lot, only left because the new CEO loved telling people to uninstall if they weren't happy about something rather than take up the concerns of players. So I took his advice.
    Will be closed beta testing Aerrevan (yes we're allowed to mention that)

hopefully the next "big" game, and if it's any good, the final game in my gaming life as I really want to find a "home" again...Rift: Planes of Telara

PS. Totally forgot all the Wizard 101 type free games I've tried this year, stopping each one only when it became necessary to use the cash shop *smirk*
    Last edited by Liziana; 06-10-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: typo
    If you say plz instead of please, I say no because it's shorter than yes.

I started playing MMO when they were still MMORPGs so that probably dates me a fair bit. I started in EQ pre-Kunark, as it was my ex who was obsessively playing This Game and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. As I was a D&D played back when The Book was blue and white (dear god I don't even want to do the math), to play a visual game which had the tabletop elements was awesome.

I've played and tested loads but I'll go with a few I actually stuck with for a while
    • Horizons - beta-test and played for about a year, and never once played a dragon. I'm like that. But this game is a shining example of what can happen if you have a dedicated community. There is no such thing as a "failed" game if people love it. The game has nearly died twice, but keeps coming back thanks to its mad-loyal fanbase; it's small but they're there.
    • EQ2 - several years, gave up about three years ago due to being a non-twink in a very empty world, which had been dumbed down considerable - teleports into the dragon lairs?! Humph.
    • Chronicles of Spellborn - alpha/beta test and quest-writer; first job on the Industry as it were. Heard it went F2P and wasn't surprised, combat drove me spare.
    • Planeshift - wrote storyboard and guidelines for quests; my work, open source, but they took my name off everything....there aren't enough cursewords, but that's why I keep originals on hard-drive!
    • City of Heroes/Villains - I got my rp back on in this game and for that alone, I love it; but I hate missions. Great customisation; as this was the one game where I was guaranteed I would NOT look like everyone else.
    • WoW- yes, I know, I know, but also, had some great rp here and I loved the Hunter Class
    • LoTRO- I realised that, because I know how the story ends, I couldn't get into the urgency of the game and quests. Also, there's only so many male-characters looking-for-their-own-Arwen I can stomach before I just roll on. I tried rping here, but the major lore-buffs addressing all their guild meetings in elven even did me in, and I'm pretty hardcore, but not so hardcore I need to use a translator programme out of game to know what's going on.
    • Guildwars - in theory, a good game - loved the build combinations - but the constant instances killed this for me. However I applaud the game designers embracing many cultures for the basis of their races.
    • Champions Online - honestly I think the game has good potential but like all games was released way too soon, will check back in a year.
    • Ryzom - I really liked the premise behind this game, and it used to have a good rp playerbase. Indeed, I think Ryzom is right up there with Horizons; loyal players will stay, no matter what.
    • Allods - free to play games have a very bad rap, but I have to admit that Allods was probably the most fun, free game I've ever indulged in. Great classes, great races, interesting
    • concept, and I didn't feel like I was grinding to nowhere. The only thing that spelled doom to me was I heard there was nothing to do at higher levels but PvP and I don't have a machine at the moment which can handle it.
    • 9Dragons - I don't know WHY I played this as long as I did; it's a grind and that's pretty much it. But there's something about playing a bedraggled beggar and being able to whomp on something with a bamboo stick. If it didn't have the typical limited textbox options and barely-sketched-in lore of pretty much every Korean game out there, it would have made brilliant rp material.
    Beta tested but gave up on it (and there were a few betas I turned down in the past):
    • Vanguard - at the time my computer couldn't even run it, so I uninstalled the beta and have never looked back. The community gave me a sour taste much like AoC - I remember asking for desert races which didn't just look like white folks with a tan, and to my horror the community started talking about how there was no need to put in "politically correct" races because "black people don't game anyway" (!!!!) Lo and behold, however, the Vanguard developers added a wide swath of racial choices which suited the world (dark-skin for desert regions, light skin for polar climes, and the anthros for really tough conditions, etc), I think partly due to that rather shocking thread. I salute them.
    • Warhammer - a lot of promises made and then broken - No Stealth! in loud letters and then, lo and behold, stealth all over the place on Order-side, which made playing Destruction a nightmare. Gave up on it though there were some nice touches in the game
    • AoC - the community spelled the end of this game for me; "mature" doesn't mean what a lot of those people seemed to think it meant...
    • Alganon - I've played free games that were better designed and didn't have anywhere near as much drama involved.
    • Aion - the beauty of the game couldn't hide the fact it was a Korean grind for me, and flight was cool, but again I don't have the machine to keep up with PvP flight.
    • Aerrevan - also on the closed beta for this but IMO I'm not seeing anything I'd pay for; I could see it as F2P but that's it.
    Amazingly, I've probably forgotten a few. Good grief, I don't know where I'm somewhat pleased or stunned...
    Last edited by Tinker; 05-28-2010 at 12:24 AM.

Like you in MMO years, I started in 1999, with Everquest. I got started thru my daughter, who was playing EQ. Her graphics card was not set up right, and she was playing this game, and it looked awful! I asked her how she could play it looking like that,(the trees all had big white boxes instead of leaves)? She said, I don't care it is fun!

Well I told her to move over a sec, and I fixed the card for her, she was amazed at the looks of it afterwords. But, I started playing around with her character, and did not want to move.,despite her asking me many time to let her sit back down and play. I guess they had good reason for calling it "Evercrack".

I had to buy my own version, plus another computer. We have played together since then, even though she is married, with two children of her own now. Hopefully, when they are older, my grandchildren will want to play with me.
    I will be 60 this June, so a lot older then you in real terms, I am sure.

From EQ,EQ2,Horizons,Vanguard,WOW . I gave WOW two weeks, and that was two, too many.And a few really bad games in between, I won't even bother mentioning. Beta tested Vanguard, and a few really bad game.But Vanguard was the first I beta tested.
    Last edited by Maxxy; 05-30-2010 at 01:30 AM.

My first MMO experience was EverQuest at a friend's house.

It was 1999, and I was in middle school.

/hide. Sorry if I make anyone feel seasoned.

On a serious note, I've played a bundle of MMOs over the last decade. Most AAA production MMOs along with a handful of free-to-play games. So the lists above look awfully familiar!

The four MMOs I've invested the most time into over the last decade are:
    • EverQuest
    • EverQuest 2
    • Vanguard
    • World of Warcraft
    Last edited by Faelor; 05-28-2010 at 12:34 AM.
    w w w . F A E L O R . c o m
    Administrator of Rift Seekers | [former] Guild Master of <Primal> | Administrator of Halcyon Affinity
    Rift Podcast | Rift Seekers is currently dormant for various reasons, thank you for understanding | Telerapedia

I started my first MMO about 12 years ago, so compared to some of you I am rather young (in MMO years!). I was about 13 years when I started playing MMO's, I knew very little English and I pretty much learned the language from playing. I never played on EU servers in that time so all I "tried" to talk was English.

- Anarchy: Was my first MMO and experience with any online game in general, not counting first person shooters.

- SWG: after SWG came out I was totally hooked on that, while I enjoyed Anarchy SWG opened my eyes in ways I could not have imagined. In my perspective this was my first MMO and gave me that rush the first 24 hours of playing. That rush that will likely never come back. THe open world, the total freedom. It was by far my best game experience.

- Ragnarok: After the NGE in SWG I remained active but no longer in the amount of hours that I dedicated before. I picked up Ragnarok Online which most people would consider a step back. However I loved the PVP in that game, and have always enjoyed the WOE nights greatly. Especially leading one of our PVP teams through castles was mega fun. Never have I seen a game this balanced for PVP, however I must admit I never tried much PVP after.

- Vanguard: When Vanguard beta came around and I had my first hour online, it gave me such a good impression that i decided to drop SWG and Ragnarok. Especially dropping SWG was a big step, I ran multiple stores at the time and running those gave me great joy at the time, if I left I knew I would never be able to come back because of the sheer effort it would take to get back into it again.

Vanguard yet again opened my eyes it was my first game that applied an archtype structure, and the entire idea that every class had a specific role to file was awsome. It gave me such a great feeling to first experience a gamestyle like this.

In VG I played casual for a number of years, eventually APW hit and our casual guild showed an interest in raiding, I put effort in building and leading a raid force for the guild and this was my first introduction into raiding. I have to admit I was totally hooked, working together with 18 players towards a common goal. I had never experienced it before but what a rush! A few months later our raid force fell apart due to the fact that a certain group of members left Vanguard or had no time to raid one night a week.

A small group of the members that loved raiding decided that we could try pickup raids, Me and a friend at the time set up: Xeth Independent Raiders which raided two to 3 times a week with a different (pickup) team every raid night. This continued for a few months.

At this point I was thorn, I loved raiding but given the fact that I was playing on USA servers and located in EU I wasn't sleeping much and well while it was fine for a time eventually it began to take its toll. I ended up making a level 1 character on the EU server Halgar where I opened the guild tab and did a search for Hardcore Raiders with a schedule of more than 5 days a week. I created my first gnome BMG for that occasion with the name of Kalbuir (which I stole from a star wars character from a book I was reading at the time), I ended up talking to a Raid Leader of Midwinter who said they would have room for a Blood Mage on their roster.

After the conversation I was so excited that I decided to play the gnome BMG for a bit, a few hours later I decided I would not want to wait for weeks for my main BMG (high elf) to be transferred. So I decided to start grinding, 10 days later I had my first raid with Midwinter as a 50 Blood Mage.

Later I heard the raid leader had who'd me and didn't think I was serious about joining and hadn't counted on me actually going through all the effort and time to join them in a possible timeframe. I had a great time raiding with Midwinter, in all fairness they taught me a lot about raiding but they didn't provide the level of organization I was used to from the raiding I organized myself. Eventually after the raid leader left and was replaced by the guild leader who in my opinion did a terrible job. It was better for both sides that I went to a new home.

Again I opened the guildtab and I remember basically having 3 options: Twilight a full German raiding guild. I easily dismissed that, considering I am not a German and MW and Twilight where big rivals at the time. Darkwind I also dismissed quite fast considering I had bad experiences with certain players and in my opinion had an overall bad name on the server.

I ended up looking into Xanadu, I feared that they would be to hardcore. But I set upon trying if I was good enough. Years later here I am a proud member of Xanadu and a player that greatly enjoys BMG and Gnomes.

*Yes kids that’s really how I became a BMG gnome!*

EQ2: When the VG division of Xanadu left Vanguard it was time for me to say goodbye to a game that had awesome potential but could never get back up top. I missed raiding greatly, and one of my wishes was to try this EverQuest game I heard so much about. I ended up playing EQ2 casually with a good friend but after a few weeks of playing the raiding bug returned.

We decided we would give it our best and attempt to see if the Xanadu division of EQ2 had a spot for us. We ended up applying a few weeks later and again this was a really great experience, sadly the way raiding is done in Everquest 2 did not compare to Vanguard in my opinion. My expectations where too high and it was a big letdown for me.

The guild in Everquest 2 was great, but I was not motivated to raid every night with the same mechanics that to me felt years behind on the way Vanguard handled it. So I decided to end my application to the Everquest division. This has been a few months ago and in the meantime I have been playing Beta for a few games I won't disclose: P. It keeps me busy but I can honestly say it does not match to any of the games I previously mentioned.

Now I am stuck waiting for rift and browsing the boards, I am playing a bit of SWG again to pass the time and in the hope to start my shops again.

I played a lot of MMO's in between games, especially during slow periods of VG where no content was released. But well only for 4 weeks max so I am not going to list those as major MMO's.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

PS: Sorry for the wall of text in the morning, I understand it got a bit out of hand but well nostalgia in the morning!

Lordy you guys are making me feel old. I was playing/developing MUDs pre-MMORPG days and BBS Door games before that, and PnP before that. I played The Realm, Twilight Realms, the original NWN, and UO as the 2D games came on the scene. Than EQ and pretty much every MOG after that. I must admit thought Telara is the first game in a long time that's got me excited. I eagerly await it.

Cheers
    Cutter
    "Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Lordy you guys are making me feel old. I was playing/developing MUDs pre-MMORPG days and BBS Door games before that, and PnP before that. I played The Realm, Twilight Realms, the original NWN, and UO as the 2D games came on the scene. Than EQ and pretty much every MOG after that. I must admit thought Telara is the first game in a long time that's got me excited. I eagerly await it.

Cheers
    Cutter
    I'll glady swap with you, i'd give a lot to have the same fond memories of MUDs as some of you have I want to keep my RL age tho! I am quite fond of that

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar

On my iPhone so I'll be brief.

My first online RPGs were MUDs in the mid 1990s, so I'm "old". I was even a builder on a Harn-based MUD that is still around today.. Also a bit of NWN (the newer one) running a persistent world. As for MMORPGs...
    • I beta tested and played UO for a while but didn't stick with it for whatever reason. I think it came out right before I went to live in Japan.
    • The 1st MMO I -really- got into was Asheron's call. Amazing game for the time with it's huge open world and skill-based system. Too bad AC2 decided to reinvent things instead of just improve what was already there. AC is definitely the MMO I have the most nostalgia about.
    • Since then I've played DAoC a while, then on to WoW, Vanguard, Age of Conan, a small bit of EQ2, LotRO, and then Fallen Earth.

Wooh that took a while on my phone...wish it was easier to read.
    Last edited by Ciovala; 05-28-2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Formatting

A wiki is only as good as its contributors won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

Plane Touched

Haha my story is like Kaliburs. Except I had crashed at a friends house after closing down the bar a couple blocks away. He had been scarce at the pool hall for a few weeks, and told me he was playing some "awesome" game with his brother. I didn't realize how awesome it was until I woke up that day and saw him playing. I was aghast... he was playing his character, with other people miles away, at the same time ! It was like everything that was cool about old school DnD, except it was online, no more rolling dice! !

That was about a month or so after eq had been released. I got my copy and started playing on the family computer (I was like 22 at the time and had no comp of my own) Playing was... lets say a challenge. With a 228 processor core and like 56 ram or something, maybe 128, it was 5 minute zone times, bard songs (if I even chose to render them) were black blocks flying around the characters. I persevereed, however and got my own comp eventually. I quit EQ shortly after GoD came out, tried planetside, CoH, and one other which I forget atm, then started eq2 after it came out and have been there ever since.

Long story short, I guess I'm 11 years old in MMO years

Hmm I guess I started around 97 or 98. I have long lost track of how long I played each MMO but here's the ones I did play in rough order:
    • UO - the original and perhaps still the best, despite it's aged 2D engine I think this game still has the most unique and in depth gameplay of any MMO out there. There's not really anything like it.
    • EQ1 - tried but the 3D graphics and UI were a still a little too primitive for me at the time.
    • AC1 - tried but for some reason couldn't get into this maybe for the same reasons as EQ.
    • AO - Choc full of atmosphere this was the first sci-fi MMO I played. It sucked me in for a good while despite it's awful bug ridden launch and low subscriber base. It had a lot of depth in character customisation and was one of the first MMO I really felt like I was exploring.
    • DaoC - Another one that seemed great that I could not get into, the combat felt somewhat mechanical if I recall. The EU management of this game was pretty poor too.
    • Planetside - not sure if this counts but it's possibly the best online shooter I have played, with the largest battles I've seen in an online game to date. Roll on Planetside Next.
    • EVE - I so want to love this game, and it seems every new expansion I try it. Great atmosphere, unique setting, wonderful depth is hampered by very limited PvE content, horrific death penalties and frustratingly slow skill training.
    • Horizons - barely remember playing this so I can't say much.
    • AC2 - Had some interesting concepts such as being able to recycle loot. I actually thought this was quite cool and fun so not sure why it failed so badly.
    • EQ2 - Nasty graphical style (hai plastic hair!) and buggy launch made me choose WoW over this.
    • SWG - Oh how we miss you, some of the greatest ideas since the birth of the industry were sadly underappreciated. No other game since UO has given me so much fun by not fighting anything. I guess my perfect MMO would contain a lot of elements from this and expand upon them.
    • WoW - Who knows how many hours I spent playing this game, I've watched it deteriorate over the years from a charming interesting game to one dominated by easy solo content, generic loot, play-for-you addons and quick fix gameplay. Half the game it used to be it with a terrible community it pains me to log on to play it now. It still maintains the sharpest most responsive gameplay of any MMO I believe. I think this has a lot to do with it handling much stuff client side.
    • Guild Wars - Looked pretty but the way the instanced world worked put me right off. I don't really believe this is a true MMO.
    • CoH - not really into the whole superhero theme, but this did have crazily good character customization and some fun gameplay elements. The simplistic gameplay got kinda repetative though and the world felt very static and boring.
    • Vanguard - I was following this for a good while and prayed it would be great but I began to see many alarm bells ringing even before launch. Post launch so many bugs and horrible graphics put me off this. People who say this game looks beautiful need their eyes tested.
    • DDO - Again heavy instancing put me off, I probably didn't give this a fair chance but it didn't feel right at all to me.
    • LotRO - Tried hard but somehow lacked the epicness of Tolkien. Gameplay didn't feel very responsive, sound was lacking bigtime. I'm ashamed to admit after the movies were made this made me wish it had the license from them. Again a waste of a franchise in my opinion.
    • Tabula Rasa - Garriots ideas for this changed so many times during development it ended as a shallow shooter style game. The gameplay was quite fun but soon became very repetative. It had some potential but it was not realised at launch which is a shame.
    • AoC - Well the first 20 levels were fun! This game was incomplete at launch as I began to discover soon after exiting Tortage. I also really didn't like the sequence keypress combat. These reasons and heavy instancing made me quit before my first month was up.
    • WAR - Some good ideas in this one, but incredibly dull PvE content made me quit before max level. A great franchise wasted.

And for the future I am following:
    • SW ToR - this one appears to be slipping away, what should have been an amazing MMO from Bioware appears to be deteriorating into a shallow single player game with coop options. Time will tell.
    • Earthrise - sounds great on paper but seems to be lacking much interest. The few gameplay vids that have been shown have terrible animation. It does look pretty though.
    • Untitled Warhammer 40k MMO - I pray to the gaming gods they don't mess this up. In my opinion this should be made like Planetside with much greater depth and all the great things from the 40k setitng. Roll on E3 for a first look at this one.
    • Rift - of course! Looks amazing so far, potential to be the biggest MMO for years.
    • Guild Wars 2 - another that sounds great on paper, I'm keeping an open mind but the F2P element actually puts me off.
    • EQ Next - No info yet but SoE surely have some crimes towards MMOs to attone for.
    • PS Next - As above.
    Last edited by Skorne; 05-28-2010 at 01:49 AM.

Telaran

I started in MMO in '97 or '98, whenever the Realm came out.

Actively played:
    The Realm Online
    EverQuest
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Anarchy Online
    Saga of Ryzom
    Horizons
    City of Heroes/Villains
    EverQuest II
    World of Warcraft
    Vanguard

Dabbled in:
    Guild Wars
    EVE
    The Matrix Online(free copy at Fain Faire)
    DDO
    SWG
    STO
    Last edited by Pazuzu; 06-26-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Forgot Horizons. I guess I'd blocked it from my memory.

I was a wee little teenager with no money when I first started with MMOs.

SWG
    DAoC
    WoW
    Ragnarok
    CoH
    VG
    WAR
    AoC

I can't remember the order but those were all (I think) the ones I owned a box for/subbed to. Played each from between 1 month to a year and a half or so. Also alpha/beta tested a bunch from LotRO to the Uru that I never stuck with. Same with trials and free-to-play games or games that I've bummed an account on that I'm not gonna bother mentioning.

Hard to keep my attention for too long. Let's see what Trion can do. ;)

Rift Disciple

I'm glad MUDS are being included in the conversation. I started mudding in, I think, 1995? '96? My daughter was 14 and said, "Hey Mom I think you'd like this," referring to Sojourn MUD. I said, "No way, I wouldn't even know what to do." The rest is history ... she quit the MUD and went back to console games and PC single players. I became immersed in Sojourn/Toril.

... and then was lucky enough to be invited to Beta 1 in EQ. Where I had to start learning how to play all over again because MUDs were text and I had no idea how to move around in a 3d graphic environment ... justly proved by my immediate death in Qeynos when I fell into the water.

Since then, years in EQ, beta and a couple of years in EQ2, and then playing Vanguard from beta and still playing. I tried out AC2, hated it. Tried out Warhammer, hated it. Tried out WoW in beta and didn't like it but have returned to it this past year and don't hate it but don't really love it either.

I'm finicky about game worlds though ... haven't played the non-fantasy oriented games and have generally stayed away from games using an IP where the story already happened and ended, like LotR's for instance.

So I guess that's about 15 years or so ... and looking forward to the new world of Telara and the continuing delight of being part of an mmog community.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 116 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast