+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 116 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: How Old Are You in MMO Years?

Started in playing MMOs in 2004.

- Runescape
    - WoW
    - Fable 1
    - Fable 2 *
    - TorchLight
    - Monster Hunter 1/2
    - Dofus*
    - Lineage 1
    - Lineage 2*
    - EVE *
    - Global Agenda *

* = Played either first few levels, or at my friends place. WoW and Runescape were the only games that I played for a long period of time. WoW = around 3 years, Runescape = around 1 year.
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Prophet of Telara

Well I guess I'm actually a relative newcomer compared to many of you. I started my MMO life in 2002, so that would make me 8ish.

EQ - The Christmas 2001 issue of PC Zone gave away the original Everquest and I bought the mag and gave the game a go. I'd only gotten in to the PC midway through 2001, buying my first machine (20G HDD, Ge-Force 2, 256Mb RAM and a 1G CPU) to play Championship Manager which a friend had introduced me to.

I plugged in EQ and made a wood elf druid (as recommended by PCZ mag) and started what would become a love affair. I remember dieing shortly after when I fell off Kelethin because I wasn't used to gamma settings and couldn't see. I then found the newb area just off the main lift (now what was that called again?) and set about killing bats and things. I didn't actually last long my first day. A good friend had joined me but he sadly gave up on MMOs very soon after. Me, though, well I went back the next day and couldn't get myself to log off I was having so much fun.

Many happy memories developed and I scoured the net to find the Kunark, Velious and Luclin expansions (Luclin being much easier - but I don't think I got that till later...or I got it first and Kunark/Velious later...I know I discovered the joys of LOIO almost too late).

SWG - Sadly EQ started to get not as much fun around the time of Gates of Discord and I started to play a lot less before migrating to SWG with an EQ friend who had set up a small city and cantina on Radiant server.

I loved that game but I think I arrived too late. I still had time to nicely develop a Creature Handler/Bio-Engineer and a general crafter (I was enjoying myself so much that I bought a second account). I was really starting to like the social/economic structure of SWG and, in hindsight, I should have given it more time before the NGE. Instead I moved, with much anticipation, to EQ2 when it released.

EQ2 - Joined at released and joined the roleplay server. I had some fun but it wasn't really everything I had expected it to be and I didn't last much time after Christmas of 2005.

I went back to EQ2 in June 2006 and played some time on an EU server until I got bored of no groups.

I went back a third time in May 2009 and moved my EU conjuror over to Guk server to join up with EQ friends. I made my first top level character in any game but did eventually get bored of not being able to get groups...and the game had turned raid heavy which didn't really suit me.

I don't actually regret any of the times I have gone back to EQ2. I've had fun each time and can actually happily accept a few months of fun. I do slightly regret moving Ameleya from her original server.

WoW - I honestly don't remember the dates that I played this, but there was a period between my EQ2 subs that I was subbing to EQ on and off and probably fit WoW in around then. I remember playing beta so I suspect I started the game at release...whenever that was.

I just know I played, had some fun PvPing and a bit of fun levelling before I got bored of the grind at about 45.

Vanguard - The game I hoped so much from and was so disappointed by...sadly. I beta'd, gave up beta because I could barely run it, found myself very disappointed but still bought at release. I didn't last long first time out really.

Went back to Vanguard in October 2007 and got a bit more fun out it, playing as a ranger with the guys from EQ...we have tended to follow each other about. We all sort of just left a few months later, but I had some fun.

Warhammer Online - Played this one at release. It started great and is the best PvP I have ever played. Then the free month subs left and the game died. That was last MMO I played other than EQ2.

Other games I've played/tested:
    Runescape
    Dark and Light - remember that?
    Ryzom - very early
    Fallen Earth - dire
    Guild Wars - lasted 10 minutes
    EVE Online demo - joined that too late and decided not to try and get up to date
    A Tale in the Desert - sure I played that

I've looked at many more:
    Gods and Heroes - was something I was really interested in till it got canned
    Chronicles of Spellborn - I went to play and realised it was European continent only - getting a redo now and still looks fun
    Earthrise - got my eye on this for its SWG connections
    Star Wars TOR - I dunno about this...can't see it being a true MMO...it's off my radar atm
    Xsyon - sounds interesting
    Final Fantasy XIV - just looks lovely and a friend had many good things to say about XI

There must be something else out there that's worth a go. Perhaps I shall have a go at LoTRO and something else. I miss MMOs but nothing's grabbed me of late...not enough to keep me anyway.

Make my game please Trion. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by anagain View Post
    Well I guess I'm actually a relative newcomer compared to many of you. I started my MMO life in 2002, so that would make me 8ish.
    Make my game please Trion. ;)
    I know that this is not the place to say this, but... WHAT THE HECK happened to the story?? HUH?! It has been a bloody week, and no posts from you!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

For MMOs
    • Everquest 2000-2007 (two accounts)
    • Star Wars Galaxies (launch - 10 months later then back to EQ)
    • Everquest II (2 weeks at launch, then back to EQ)
    • Vanguard (since beta - still playing 2 accounts)
    • Star Gate Online (beta - game canceled)

But if you really want to know how old I am, I have been playing console & PC games since Pong ~1975
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

Im ancient in online gaming terms.. I hope I can remember everything I played. Here they are in no particular order other then what I can remember as I am typing them out.

Pre-MMO days:

LORD
    MajorMUD
    Tele-Arena
    Trade Wars (Original and 2002)
    Crossroads

MMO Titles:

Everquest
    Everquest 2
    Dark Ages of Camelot
    Lineage 2
    Irth Online
    Asherons Call
    Asherons Call 2
    Gods & Heroes (Beta tested original)
    Shadowbane
    World of Warcraft
    Tabula Rasa
    Anarchy Online
    Wish
    Dark & Light
    Saga of Ryzom
    Vanguard
    Ether Saga
    Rappelz
    Perfect World
    Tails Runner
    Aika
    Allods
    The Sims Online
    Shaiya
    Last Chaos
    Aion
    Soul of the Ultimate Nation
    Granado Espada (Sword of the New World)
    Zera Online (Korean Beta)
    Jade Dynasty
    Hellgate London
    Matrix Online
    Champions Online
    Guild Wars
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Free Realms
    Archlord
    RF Online
    TERA ( Focus Group Tester)
    Divine Soul (Current beta tester)
    Fallen Earth
    Lord of the Rings
    Atlantica
    2Moons
    4Story
    Age of Conan
    Cabal Online
    Conquer Online
    Corum Online
    Dekaron
    Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Entropia Universe
    EVE Online
    Final Fantasy XI
    LEGO Universe (Current beta tester)
    Karos Online
    Knight Online
    Mythos (Beta tested the original)
    Pirates of the Burning Sea
    Silkroad Online
    The Chronicles of Spellborn
    Twelve Sky

Cant wait to add RIFT to that list of games. Hopefully it will be the only one I play for the next several years.
    Warp

Quote Originally Posted by Slyde View Post
    But if you really want to know how old I am, I have been playing console & PC games since Pong ~1975
    Gramps, arent you a bit too old to still play computer games?

Quote Originally Posted by Elladar View Post
    I'll never be too old ;)

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpCode View Post
    Im ancient in online gaming terms.. I hope I can remember everything I played. Here they are in no particular order other then what I can remember as I am typing them out.
    Hellgate London
    This is just me "Nit" picking, however Hellgate is an Action RPG. Therefore I believe it does not qualify to be called an MMO. And that is 1 fking long list mate!

I'll never be too old ;)
    That is my reply when my parents ask me the same question. HOWEVER I was not even born when you started playing pong!

Quote Originally Posted by Elladar View Post
    Heh...he's right you're never too old...I've told my sons, "if you ever have to put me in a home, make sure my room has high speed internet and a brand spanking new computer and I shall be happy". No knitting needles for THIS Gran!!!
    If you say plz instead of please, I say no because it's shorter than yes.

Wow, this is so much fun to read! All the nostaligia almost brings a tear to my eye.

But really, though... isn't it amazing how we all have these shared memories and experiences? No matter where we come from or how old we are or our socio-economic background, we can all come together and share these experiences.

That use to be the most fascinating thing to see when I was running the Fan Faires. It was not uncommon to see a middle aged lawyer in a suit sitting with a twenty-something guy with green hair, and an abundance of tattos and piercings having an animated conversation about the best warrior tactics or the best place to level a mage. You know these two people probably wouldn't have said much to each other had they met anywhere else. But through gaming together, they had found common ground and friendship.

Ok... Nostalgia overload here. But so fun to remember the old days of our MMO journies.
    Cindy Bowens
    Director of Community, North America
    Trion Worlds

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Arithion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
    Wow, this is so much fun to read! All the nostaligia almost brings a tear to my eye.

But really, though... isn't it amazing how we all have these shared memories and experiences? No matter where we come from or how old we are or our socio-economic background, we can all come together and share these experiences.

That use to be the most fascinating thing to see when I was running the Fan Faires. It was not uncommon to see a middle aged lawyer in a suit sitting with a twenty-something guy with green hair, and an abundance of tattos and piercings having an animated conversation about the best warrior tactics or the best place to level a mage. You know these two people probably wouldn't have said much to each other had they met anywhere else. But through gaming together, they had found common ground and friendship.

Ok... Nostalgia overload here. But so fun to remember the old days of our MMO journies.
    It is SO GREAT to have you here
    The Rift Podcast Site

Telarapedia | RiftIRC
    Level 50 Bahmi Warrior - Greybriar - Primal

Im with you brother. I remember my dad bringing home a little HP "PC" with, of all things! a monitor on it!! Even though it was like 3 x 3 or there abouts.

I can still recall going into the store with my dad, to buy the very best in home computing....The VIC 20! I remember being amazed that we could afford the $360 it cost.

Ab's is right, there is no other venue I could see myself in, where I would communicate so well, with people from different walks of life, lifestyles, and countries. I have made some pretty good Efriends, as well as RL friends out of the gaming world.

Here's to some fun times, good friends, and great entertainment, sure to come in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by MuckyPup View Post
    Im with you brother. I remember my dad bringing home a little HP "PC" with, of all things! a monitor on it!! Even though it was like 3 x 3 or there abouts.

I can still recall going into the store with my dad, to buy the very best in home computing....The VIC 20! I remember being amazed that we could afford the $360 it cost.

Ab's is right, there is no other venue I could see myself in, where I would communicate so well, with people from different walks of life, lifestyles, and countries. I have made some pretty good Efriends, as well as RL friends out of the gaming world.

Here's to some fun times, good friends, and great entertainment, sure to come in the near future.
    is "the near future" sooner than "soon"?
    If you say plz instead of please, I say no because it's shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by MuckyPup View Post

Ha! You got me beat. My first computer (1982) was the Commodore-64 (your VIC-20 is older). That's when I first got interested in programming.

After that I got an IBM 286 (in 1988) and started to play PC based games (I also had an Atari 2600 & 5200). By then I was working as a programmer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 116 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast