+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 113 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: How Old Are You in MMO Years?

Started with EQLive in 2002, though I did come in contact with MUDs before then, I never actively played them. Since then I've played many a MMO, either in beta or live.
    • EQLive
    • Earth and Beyond
    • Planetside
    • EQ2
    • Vanguard
    • LOTRO
    • Many more in Beta

Ohh, i love such threads... but it sure takes time to work truh the forum, so now i gona add my little piece to it. ^^;

I can't even recall the exact date, but i was prolly 16 years old around that time, a guy i got to know online due a common interest wanted to meet in RL and he introducted me to Meridian 59, that was my very first "MMO" ... if you wanna call bout 100 people per Server "massive".
    Considering my age back then and all, it was a big mess for me but entertaining to build up that character i tried on his account, so i got myself one and was hooked up.

While time flew by, the chat in Merdian 59 always had this "EQ" term flying by, so i poked around a bit to figure out it means "EverQuest" and it's gona be THE MMO game ... whyever.
    So when EverQuest was released, i started to play it... god i was so hyper about how my armor was visible so nicely on my character... when i had all slots full with "gear" (if you call 2AC cloth sleeves "gear"...) i even eMailed that guy who introduced me to Meridian 59 lol... oh boy.

I was stuck with EverQuest for more then 5 years but quit after i had seen all of the PoP expansion.
    Somewhere inbetween i tried my luck on Asherons Call since another guy i used to know wanted to try that one.
    I told myself i would never get addicted to such games considering how much of my time EQ ate away (yet it was worth it ;) ) and never wanted to play MMOs anymore...

Ohh how unfortunate it was that a bunch of my RL friends started up a group in WoW and my birthday present was ofc a WoW box... so i ended up playing that one as well for about 2 years on and off, seen it all to the "end" with WotLK by now.

In this on and off time i tried my luck at EverQuest 2, but somehow ... i think the parts of EQ2 i enjoyed the most were Unrest and Cooking / Harvesting.
    Not sure if it's even worth to mention Ragnarok Online, it was all cute and fun and me being a fan of anime... guess back then it just hit my weak spot. ;)

But i'm more for the EQ1 style, or a rather "recent" one... Vanguard style.

So i ended up playing Vanguard as well, where i had my first encounter with the Xanadu Community and i still stick with those guys.

Inbetween the Vanguard time i also tried Age of Conan, played it for 6-7 days hit max level and quit... it was somehow... a huge let down.

When AION was coming up, Xanadu decided to take part in it and i gave it a shot as well, but i quit after 2 weeks again - to PvP heavy for my taste (yes i knew before it would be PvP heavy - but that much... uhh).

So, not sure if thats old or young now, but i wont mind to fare with the later. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Milkdrop View Post
    Ohh, i love such threads... but it sure takes time to work truh the forum, so now i gona add my little piece to it. ^^;

I can't even recall the exact date, but i was prolly 16 years old around that time, a guy i got to know online due a common interest wanted to meet in RL and he introducted me to Meridian 59, that was my very first "MMO" ... if you wanna call bout 100 people per Server "massive".
    Considering my age back then and all, it was a big mess for me but entertaining to build up that character i tried on his account, so i got myself one and was hooked up.

While time flew by, the chat in Merdian 59 always had this "EQ" term flying by, so i poked around a bit to figure out it means "EverQuest" and it's gona be THE MMO game ... whyever.
    So when EverQuest was released, i started to play it... god i was so hyper about how my armor was visible so nicely on my character... when i had all slots full with "gear" (if you call 2AC cloth sleeves "gear"...) i even eMailed that guy who introduced me to Meridian 59 lol... oh boy.

I was stuck with EverQuest for more then 5 years but quit after i had seen all of the PoP expansion.
    Somewhere inbetween i tried my luck on Asherons Call since another guy i used to know wanted to try that one.
    I told myself i would never get addicted to such games considering how much of my time EQ ate away (yet it was worth it ;) ) and never wanted to play MMOs anymore...

Ohh how unfortunate it was that a bunch of my RL friends started up a group in WoW and my birthday present was ofc a WoW box... so i ended up playing that one as well for about 2 years on and off, seen it all to the "end" with WotLK by now.

In this on and off time i tried my luck at EverQuest 2, but somehow ... i think the parts of EQ2 i enjoyed the most were Unrest and Cooking / Harvesting.
    Not sure if it's even worth to mention Ragnarok Online, it was all cute and fun and me being a fan of anime... guess back then it just hit my weak spot. ;)

But i'm more for the EQ1 style, or a rather "recent" one... Vanguard style.

So i ended up playing Vanguard as well, where i had my first encounter with the Xanadu Community and i still stick with those guys.

Inbetween the Vanguard time i also tried Age of Conan, played it for 6-7 days hit max level and quit... it was somehow... a huge let down.

When AION was coming up, Xanadu decided to take part in it and i gave it a shot as well, but i quit after 2 weeks again - to PvP heavy for my taste (yes i knew before it would be PvP heavy - but that much... uhh).

So, not sure if thats old or young now, but i wont mind to fare with the later. ;)
    Nice first post. =) Hopefully Xanadu will roll on a PvP server so I can play with em =p.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

To continue, which do you recognize

Holy mother of God... That is SICK!! COOL!!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Soulwalker

Multi-User Dungeons (MUDS) - text based
    EQ I (loong time, from the early days on Solusek Ro)
    EQ 2 (off and on)
    WoW
    SWG (little here, little there)
    LOTRO
    VG (still playing)

Telaran

Its been a long time.

Ultima Online
    EQ
    Asherons Call
    Vanguard
    DAOC
    Ragnarok Online
    Lineage 2
    Star Wars Galaxies
    WoW
    Aion

The millions of free to play mmo's

Luna Online
    BoI

And a long history of MUDs -- AARDwolf and many many others.

I cant remember everything ive played haha...

My list of mmorpg's is not very impressive. I was more into RPG's. I never liked MUD or any other text-based games much.

My first mmorpg was World of Warcraft, which I played from launch, and I still go back to it every now and then.

My second mmorpg would have been The Chronicles of Spellborn, but release got delayed, and while waiting for its release I played Everquest II. I think I played that for two years, liked it, but less and less when they dumbed it down more and more. Although, some changes were actually good, but when you play a mmorpg you tend to know what is around the corner more often then not and the game looses its attraction to you.

My fourth game was the Saga of Ryzom. The game had poor graphics but great atmosphere and it kind of growths on you. Had great fun, but stopped when the servers were taken off line or actually before that, but never went back to it.

My fifth mmorpg was Vanguard, which was a bit of a disappointment to me. Not because of the poor launch, but because the game was not a shadow of what marketing had led me to believe. It actually was a decent game, but not very special. It launched too early in an unfinished state, but its main failure was the lack of players a year later.

I played The Chronicles of Spellborn from beta till bancruptcy. It was a great game, but it suffered from a lack of players too.

After that I played The Lord of the Rings Online. I liked it but it felt repetitive and kind of boring very soon. I just did not like it for that reason.

I tried Dungeons and Dragons Online, but I did not like it.

Which brings me to my eighth mmorpg: Rift.
    Ravel
    Trion should warn people suffering from claustrophobia.

I played EQ from blocky body types to the updated graphics stopped after planes of power I think.
    Guild wars was next. I could not get over the not being able to jump. Very pretty game though.
    City of Heroes: A friend sat me down infront of character creation and I was hooked.
    City of Villians: I was lucky enough to beta CoV. They had a great end of beta event before release. We got to fight the named heroes in an all out street brawl. CoH/CoV had great customer support...best so far in my opinion for me atleast Beta for Vanguard but it was too laggy.
    And of course World of Warcraft. I played CoH/Cov for a long time until some friends got me to break down and play WoW...where I will play Cata until I can play Rift.
    Your game looks great, can't wait to see if my machine will be able to run your awesome looking graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
    How long have you been playing MMO's? What have you played?
    Having started my gaming pasttime with table top rpgs, of which I have played far too many to list, I was very hesitant to leave behind the comforting feeling of my character sheet in my hands, player's handbook at my side and my trusty bag of dice. Being that I had designed content for several smaller game systems, one of which was a live action RPG which we hosted at gaming cons and game specific weekends, I felt that I had found my niche.

My bestfriend at the time, now my husband, with whom I had been playing Half-Life Team Fortress Classic, told me about Everquest and his interest in playing. Initially, I was sceptical. As a fantasy genre fan, to the point that it was, and is, a catalyst for all of my writing, I found it hard to phathom that a digital game (at that time) could capture what we had created and were growing in our weekly gaming sessions. For you see, our sessions, like many gamers, provided a place for us to create a world in which our characters would not only adventure but would thrive, a world where the actions of our characters would impact all around them.

It was October of 99 and I purchased Everquest and was astounded at what was possible, then, with bringing the gaming world from paper to vision. I stayed in Everquest for 7 years, although during that time I would play a couple other games as a break away from guild management, raiding, etc, so as to keep the spark alive for the tasks in EQ. At that time, my husband and I were playing World of Warcraft and Dungeons and Dragons Online as additional games of interest.

Closed beta rolled around for Vanguard and my husband, who had worked many years with EA while still living in his home country of England, was excited to have gotten his beta key and was ready to test. I started in open beta and our guild (The Preferiti) is there still. During our time in VG, as we did in EQ, we have ran additional games to give us other outlets. We have a lifetime subscription to Lord of the Rings Online, and have played Guild Wars (just a bit), played Warhammer Age of Reckoning extensively for the RvR, Aion for a bit during the testing phase, and presently still have a couple World of Warcraft characters who get visited when possible.

Although, in the sole game that we call home and as such have our guild, I try my upmost to keep the same spirit alive that I felt when I was an avid and passionate table top gamer. I feel it is important for me to realize that my actions and my guild's actions can impact the community which we share with others on our server. Therefore, we try to do what we can to influence and assist and in doing so it helps us realize that we can be a catalyst for growth and progression in our community...all this done with a Role-play flaire that makes the game quite a bit more enjoyable for us.

My first MMO experiance was with diablo back in 97ish i think it was. Then i moved on to diablo 2, SWG, DAoC, CoH, WoW, DDO, VG, EQ2, AOC, Warhammer, Hellgate, EVE, Champions, And now LOTRO until the release of Rift. I am sure theres something i missed in there somewere.

I've been at it for over 10 years (mix of both beta and live play):

Ultima Online
    Everquest (6 years - favorite!)
    Asheron's Call 2
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Everquest II
    City of Heroes
    Guild Wars
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Lord of the Rings Online
    World of Warcraft
    Vanguard (favorite #2)
    Warhammer Online

LOL... kinda sad. I can't remember the year I started gaming and it wasn't all that long ago. I started in 2002 or 2003.

WoW pre and post BC I dropped it 6 months after BC; I just couldn't stand it anymore.

AoC From release to about 10months into it. I will never buy a game made or associated with FunCom again. Customer service is an alien concept to them; or at least having an established point of contact beyond e-mails which can be ignored. FC also had the worst Community Managers / GMs I've ever seen. I mean to have one GM tell you "Sure clever use of game mechanics", then a day later another GM "banable offense your suspened!" I mean really? WTF??

WAR - Loved it from the word go. Loved the Guild Options, the RvR, the Battlegrounds. Then Epic had to start messing with the Character Classes. In the end what killed it was simply imbalanced servers. No matter what server you logged into or what faction you played you were either part of the Zerg or Face Rolled by the Zerg. This has convinced me that despite the unpopularity of it Faction vs Faction MMOs have to maintain balanced servers which limit how many people can join a specific Faction. Something to ensure that neither faction has an overwhelming advantage in numbers / active accounts.

EvE Oline - Loved the classless system. Loved the ability to train skills with out having to be online. Hate the lack of engaging PvE Content. Hate the fact that you have to be part of an active Corporation to keep from dieing of boredom in the game. I recently re-subbed cause the current MMO I'm in is even more boring ATM. I'll most likely play this game until RIFT goes online.

AION - The last Fantasy MMO I've tried. I still have 8 Toons and I kinda play from time to time. I've played both Factions and if RIFTS purposely makes one Faction more difficult to level than the other I'll have to cry. I will be leaving AION for more reasons than I can list. The main reason: the fact that NCSoft has to constantly run back to the Korean Company that holds the IP before being able to address even the simplest of issues has practically guaranteed I will never play an MMO that is not the IP of an NA or EU company again. Also TRION for the love of whatever God you follow learn from AION'S lack of balanced PvP.

OK so that is my MMO experiance from 2002 - 2010. Prior to that I was a Console player and I still play my XBox just as much as my PC: I will forever love HALO, and Rock Band. xP

Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    AoC From release to about 10months into it. I will never buy a game made or associated with FunCom again. Customer service is an alien concept to them; or at least having an established point of contact beyond e-mails which can be ignored. FC also had the worst Community Managers / GMs I've ever seen. I mean to have one GM tell you "Sure clever use of game mechanics", then a day later another GM "banable offense your suspened!" I mean really? WTF??
    Yea Funcom really screwed up in the CS department. I had a GM tell me I couldn't stand on a hill and shoot a guy because he would have to go up the path to get to me. Really?

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Soulwalker

World of Warcraft sent me down this MMO road of madness and I suppose it's to it that I owe my thanks.

World of Warcraft (Great times!)

Annnnd the rest:

DDO (Great times!)
    Lotro (Decent times!)
    STO (Bad times!)
    AO (Decent times!)
    AoC (Good times!)
    WAR (Bad times!)
    Aion (Decent times!)
    Shadowbane (Good times!)
    EvE (Great times!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 113 ... LastLast