+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 116 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 60 110 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: How Old Are You in MMO Years?

I am not going to gaurantee these are in the correct order. * next to it means I helped with the Beta as well.
    EQ
    DAoC*
    SWG
    Horizons
    CoH
    Vanguard*
    WoW*
    Warhanmer*
    DDO*
    LotRO

Okay so I myself started on runescape, I have to give that game credit for what it was worth being the first MMORPG I ever laid eyes on. I remember the first time I saw that game fully, I had seen gameplay from another friend previously that year but not enough to get me interested, anyway that night I stayed at my friends house back in 2004 (my 5th grade year wow) I must have been up all night on his computer fascinated at what I had stumbled across. After begging my parents to let me get "membership" the whole 3 times throughout playing that game,I just settled for free-play. They have come a long way since when I first started playing. I wasn't into gaming enough to witness RS classic though I have seen some screen shots. From runescape I went onto several other free MMOs many of which I can't remember because I wasn't interested in them long enough. It took me 3 and half years almost 4 to get out of the runescape addiction and move on to bigger better things. Free MMOs I do remember playing are as listed:

Talisman online
    AQ:worlds(when this came out i was so happy to see multi-player!)
    Cronous Current
    Combat Arms(only MMO shooter I had ever tried,plan on getting CSS soon though)

I even did some character Role-playing over social networks like Myspace and AIM if that still counts. And I still till this day go on runescape for the holiday events sadly I missed them all this year.

All in all I have been an avid MMO kid 6 years strong.

I am a fairly "young" player in MMO age - I started in the later european CB of World of Warcraft, which I played until near the end of Burning Crusade. In the meantime, I also started playing LotRO (which I'm still playing on and off today), Age of Conan (same), Runes of Magic, The Chronicles of Spellborn (which wins the prize for best game wrecked by poor management), Aion, a bit of D&D Online and Champions Online.

Right now, I'm following dev news on Rift, Tera Online, and SW:tOR.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Draegan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darph View Post
    I'm new to this whole "MMO" thing.
    Noob.

10morechars

Quote Originally Posted by Draegan View Post
    Noob.

10morechars
    A "Noob" is a harsh and insulting term for a player that has no clue what he's doing, but won't admit to it.
    A "Newb" or "Newbie" is a term used to describe someone who is inexperienced at a game.
    Get your facts straight....
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

I'll start with gaming in general as I feel that MMO's are an extension of the old Pen and Paper RPG's.

Started with D&D in 1983 then onto AD&D after 2nd edition.
    Twilight 2000
    Marvel Super Heros
    Many Hex-Map based games from Avalon Hills
    ShadowRun and Cyber Punk
    Warhammer
    Necromunda
    Axis and Allies

Then onto Magic the Gathering Card game

Quit MTG in 1999 cause a friend told me about a game called Asherons Call, I didnt have a computer at the time so I sold my extensive collection of MTG cards like the power 9, all the dual lands, 4x Juzamm Djinn and severa lolder cards to finance my computer to play AC.

Played AC for 5 years until DAoC.
    Also played:
    City of Heroes
    AC2
    AoC
    WAR
    EQ2
    Shadowbane
    Aion

and of course WoW, up until last weekend, havnt played since and dont plan onto either as I plan on putting all my future MMO hopes into Rift.
    http://www.silkyvenom.com/forums/gallery/files/1/8/Zederok-sig.jpg

Death is fleeting but Glory is eternal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGdGM...layer_embedded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyxFS...layer_embedded

Make a game that fans love and you will get the followers.

Soulwalker

Default How Old Are You in MMO Years?

I started in 1998? with Ultima Online. My computer at the time was a piece of crap though & couldn't play it very well. I ended up upgrading my computer eventually and moved on to Everquest in May of 1999.

The guild I ended up joining also played The Realm so I am familiar with it however I never actually played it. I am still a member of that guild to this day but it has somewhat died out.

Over the last 10 years I've also played these games in no particular order.

Asheron's Call
    Dark Ages of Camelot
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Shadowbane
    City of Heroes
    Warhamer
    Everquest 2
    World of Warcraft
    Horizons
    Vanguard
    Lords of The Rings Online
    Guild Wars
    Age of Conan

The games I've played most recently in the last year are the original Everquest and Wow. In MMO years you could call me 12 or 13 which is a bloody long time.

Soulwalker

I started playing SWG around launch. I've played off and on since then. I took my biggest break after the NGE hit, but I always get drawn back in, and probably will continue to do so until the servers shut down for good.

I also started playing VG at launch, and have been playing off and on ever since. I'll likely be there until the server shuts down unless Rift pulls me away before that.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Draegan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elladar View Post
    A "Noob" is a harsh and insulting term for a player that has no clue what he's doing, but won't admit to it.
    A "Newb" or "Newbie" is a term used to describe someone who is inexperienced at a game.
    Get your facts straight....
    So I was still right...

Champion of Telara Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
    I responded in this post when I was asked what MMO's I have played.

My response was:

"My first MMO was The Realm. I doubt many of you remember that one. It was a little 2-D game that was out a couple of years before EQ launched.

I started playing EQ right at it's beginning. I was a total EQ freak. That s what got me into this business after all! ;)

In the years since then, I have played a bunch:

Dark Age of Camelot
    Guild Wars
    Vanguard (of course)
    City of Heroes
    World of Warcraft
    Star Trek Online

I think there are more but those are the ones that come to mind.

I started working with MMO communities in 1999. Wow, does that ever make me feel old!"

So now that I have confessed to how long I have been around, I want to know how old you are in MMO years as well. It's only fair. ;)

How long have you been playing MMO's? What have you played?

I know this has been discussed before. But I would like to jump start the discussion again. Besides, it's fun to reminisce about our shared MMO experiences.

Edit: I decided to resurrect and sticky this thread for a bit. We have some new people showing up and I'd like to continue to hear about our community member's MMO backgrounds.
    I used to play games on dial up Bulleting Boards. You were only allowed so many turns a day, games were text only.

I also used to do play-by-mail games, one turn a month.

I have been playing D&D since Keep on the Borderlands.

As far as traditional MMO's, I started EQ shortly after it launched.
    Last edited by Nightbringer; 06-27-2010 at 08:05 PM.

I've started playing MMOs about five years ago. WoW and Vanguard were the two games that I have invested the most while playing other MMOs in less than a month. Seamless world in MMO game is a must for me. I heard that Rift will have a seamless world which got me excited plus the server technology that allows the developers and designers to upload the contents on the fly instead of patching.

Best,

Varrock

Hmmmm lets see...

everquest
    everquest 2
    world of warcraft
    guildwars
    shadowbane
    age of conan
    aion
    vanguard
    lord of the rings online
    city of villians
    champions online

That makes me 11 years old in mmo years......Damnit does that mean i have to go through puberty again?

Soulwalker

Done and tested/played a lot of mmo's over the past 10 years.

Lineage 2 (Tested it for 3 months and then played it for the next years after release)
    World of Wacraft (tested it for a month and then played it for 5 years after release)
    Age of Conan (tested it for a month then played it for 3 months after release, didnt like the community)
    Warhammer (tested it for 1 month, didnt play it, never liked the feel of the mechanics)
    ROSE Online (tested it for a short time, never like the style but tried it with friends)
    Lord of the Rings Online (tested it for 2 months and played it for six months but got tired of the pre-fabbed movements)
    Aion (tested it for a month on the Korean servers and 2 weeks on the English servers, played it for 3 months)

And there is more that I just can't think of at this moment lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Draegan View Post
    So I was still right...
    Nope. You call someone a Noob when they played the game for long period of time, but have no clue what they are doing. And Newbie, simply means that person is new to the game or genre. That buy is new to MMOs thus he is a MMO Newbie. Not a MMO Noob.
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

I started MMO gaming around 1999 with EQ and shortly thereafter, DAoC - which I stayed on for a long time. From there, I've probably played every MMO released!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 116 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 60 110 ... LastLast